Steam Deck

RobYob

Re: Steam Deck

Post by RobYob »

Pretty much exactly what I would have bought myself a few years ago rather than a new PC.

I don't need one, but I really it.

Maybe for the children...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Sold a few random TF2 crates and put a £4 deposit down. I've now got until Q2 '22 to decide if I have the remaining £450...
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I'll buy one if Linus spontaneously combusts the instant I place the order.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Who doesn't want to spend their commuter hours grasping a big black deck?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I haven't bought a console let alone a mobile one since PSP...

Slim odds I'll have treasury approval to complete the purchase in Q2 '22 but you never know.

I really don't get the hate for LTT?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

RobYob wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:54 pm I haven't bought a console let alone a mobile one since PSP...

Slim odds I'll have treasury approval to complete the purchase in Q2 '22 but you never know.

I really don't get the hate for LTT?
Me neither, he's not perfect and numerous occasions has been overly harsh and rude to people, but he has stood up to a lot of crap from large companies like Microsoft and pointed fingers at others for deliberately not conforming (such as Nvidia) as well as his ongoing technical contributions and leadership in providing the world with Linux.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

:lol: different Linus.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

mr_jon wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:32 pm :lol: different Linus.
Theres more than one ? :P
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jon, you’re a monster!

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Promising deck/Steam OS news, should work with the majority of anticheat systems.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/battle ... proton-too

Not at all deck related but some of you will enjoy this.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/send-t ... -mod-today
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

So now I'm angry with myself for not preordering this the instant it went live.

The hardware reviews today look bloody impressive.

Now with my PC stuck in global shipping hell I could've really used a gaming fix delivered next month.

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

My order is now "After Q3" :cry:
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Realised that if I could get one of these with a broken screen cheap AND I could connect 3 SATA drives (sata to USB3 ?) , would make a perfect (fast enough, efficient to leave on 24/7, no need for UPS) replacement for my PC that I run mostly as a server in the attic.
Beany

Post by Beany »

NGRhodes wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:15 am Realised that if I could get one of these with a broken screen cheap AND I could connect 3 SATA drives (sata to USB3 ?) , would make a perfect (fast enough, efficient to leave on 24/7, no need for UPS) replacement for my PC that I run mostly as a server in the attic.
While I agree that conceptually that would work, I can't help thinking that a used laptop would be a better option :lol:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

RobYob wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 am Sold a few random TF2 crates and put a £4 deposit down. I've now got until Q2 '22 to decide if I have the remaining £450...
FFFFFWD to lateylate Q3 and now on the other side of the world. Mine's arrived!

Aperture Science desk job is such a great introduction to the hardware and done so slickly it has made me again sad that Valve abandoned making games.

Other than that the controls will take some getting used to even for someone entirely familiar with the thumbable trackpads of Steam Controller.

I'll probably plonk down £4 tomorrow for the flavour of the month game Vampire Survivors.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

RobYob wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:18 pm I'll probably plonk down £4 tomorrow for the flavour of the month game Vampire Survivors.
Vampire Survivors is indeed very old school fun, muchly recommended.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

I was meh about these when announced but a colleague raving about his (and watching some "one year later" videos) made me intrigued enough to order the £349 base one. No queues or preordering now either. On the face of it, seems a relative bargain for the tech and straightforward to upgrade.

Have come to accept that PC gaming at a desk doesn't really work for me, if it gets me playing some of the steam library I've amassed over the years from a comfy chair then it'll be worth having.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I'm still tempted by one for some PC only games. I have a switch, an Xbox series X and a PS4 just now though so I can't really justify it.
An absolute unit
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

10% off in the steam sale. I’ve cancelled and reordered.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Somewhat embarrassing that i haven't powered mine on in at least couple of weeks.

Son has spent the most time on it in the last few months having a go at emulated WiiU Breath of the Wild.

I still spend the overwhelming amount of my gaming time on desktop PC.

It's only when the PC is occupied (usually by someone playing Fortnite) that I boot up the Deck to do some space trucking in Elite or pixely fun in Vampire Survivors.

Away from home for a week next month so it'll get a run whiling away the flight and then occupying dull evenings. Maybe I'll finally make a start on Alien Isolation!