Media PC / NUC?

unzippy

Media PC / NUC?

Post by unzippy »

I've got an old HP ultra small form factor that has Win10 and Kodi working as a media PC with teh telly as it's monitor, it's plugged into the network and streams media from the NAS.

Now that I've got a better telly (4k HDR 65") it is struggling on the bigger files I'm downloading, presumably because the onboard graphics isn't up to the job.

I want a small relatively quiet PC that can output 4K - eyeing up this:
https://www.centrecom.com.au/intel-nuc- ... en-mini-pc

Am I in the right area or should I be considering something else?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
mr_jon

Re: Media PC / NUC?

Post by mr_jon »

I run one for Zwifting and for what they are, they are great! I only run that at widescreen hd res, though, so I don't know about 4k as its still only a basic CoB gpu. I did price one up the other day with a newer 10th gen i3 and it was still only £400-ish with mem/ssd, so maybe shop around.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Why not stick a Plex server on the NAS and it's likely your new telly has a Plex app available for it.

That's what I do.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

When there are devices like the Chromecast Ultra which do 4K, I wonder whether a dedicated telly PC is worth it now. Have a server just doing that job, TV device just doing that job and no worry about regular upgrades.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Simon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:33 am Why not stick a Plex server on the NAS and it's likely your new telly has a Plex app available for it.

That's what I do.
Does Plex work like Kodi, as in keep a record of what you have watched and where you are up to?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yes. It's great. Also transcodes for different devices too. I used to use Kodi but have been on Plex for about 2-3 years and haven't looked back.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Simon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:33 am Why not stick a Plex server on the NAS and it's likely your new telly has a Plex app available for it.

That's what I do.
This.

It's what I'm running via an Apple TV and works great.