Router question

Swervin_Mervin

Router question

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Lost connection with our router this arvo on both phone and laptop. Won't reconnect at all so will need to reboot it.

How come the Mrs has been able to continue on a Teams call throughout?
scotta

Re: Router question

Post by scotta »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:57 pm Lost connection with our router this arvo on both phone and laptop. Won't reconnect at all so will need to reboot it.

How come the Mrs has been able to continue on a Teams call throughout?
Could be the DHCP service has stopped issuing addresses. If you had an existing connection the IP would remain constant and connection remain up.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I did have connection and then lost it :?:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:08 pm I did have connection and then lost it :?:
Possibly a service on the router crapped out (just like what Windows can do - all operating systems work in broadly similar ways and yes, even routers have an operating system), and prevented new connections from being set up while allowing existing ones to persist, like what Scotta said but not necessarily DHCP (perhaps NAT or firewall, or the wi-fi subsystem, DNS resolution, etc).

Is the router kept somewhere where heat buildup is likely? In the sun, near a radiator, etc? Heat buildup is why 90% of devices decide to have a wee sit down.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's nowhere that warm tbh but due to using our hallway as a camp kitchen atm it is fairly crowded and hemmed in. Right next to a great big metal bin as well :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

This was at the end of a day where oir IT guys had been trying to figure out why I had only 9Gb left on a 250Gb hard drive when I only had 1Gb of my own files on it.

Turns out that Windows has been merrily updating Minecraft, Candy crush Saga amd other crap in a windowsapps folder despite them supposedly having been uninstalled 2 years ago.

Seemed like a total ballache with them having to reassign ownership of all the files and folders before they could be deleted as well as presumably somehow terminating whatever was responsible for it all.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ah, Windows, never change.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Our old virgin media routers dhcp server would randomly stop issuing addresses and then require a reboot. One or two devices would be effected and everything else would carry on merrily working as the leases started at different times so had different expiration. They replaced it with the new one last week, we’ll see if that’s any better.