Vodafone Pro Broadband

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Vodafone Pro Broadband

Post by Sundayjumper »

@DeskJockey - I've had an email from your lot pushing this. Is it any good ?
DeskJockey

Re: Vodafone Pro Broadband

Post by DeskJockey »

You get a bit more with the Pro option: 4G backup, guaranteed WiFi coverage in all rooms, better support and access to higher speed tiers (if you've got FTTP). It also promises to upgrade you to FTTP for free when it becomes available at you (timescales depends on Openreach's plans).

I'm not in the retail part of the business, so have no product experience, and haven't switched myself (still under contract).

Whether that's worth £13/month over the standard service I can't say.

I've already got a mesh WiFi setup and the FTTP service isn't available for me yet, so I'm not sure it would be worth it for me.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

The new internet arrived yesterday and seems to be working well, we’re getting 70Mbs even in the kitchen now which always used to be a bit flaky.

I’m happy for once !
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

After having issues with our Virginmedia for a while they finally came out. I was at work so unsure what they did apart from replacing the cable that runs from the side of the house to the hub. Now though we have separate 2g and 5G wireless showing and I’m showing 108mps on the iPad.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've just ordered BT full fibre as for £7.99 more per month for 150Mbps (compared to 40 now). Seems a no-brainer. Fingers crossed I won't end up regretting it if/when it comes to install it.

EDIT: but glad that you're enjoying your improved service!
---
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

If full fibre was an option here I'd be long gone, don't worry ! We're not exactly out in the sticks but we're still waaaaay down the list for getting new tech.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:05 am If full fibre was an option here I'd be long gone, don't worry ! We're not exactly out in the sticks but we're still waaaaay down the list for getting new tech.
Same here. 70mb/s max.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We're still stuck on 25Mbps on a good day. We've recently switched to BT and its not been great so far with the connection suffering from really high latency and slowness intermittently through the week. Have spoken to BT a few times but they're not interested. They seem to have replaced their offshore tech Helpdesk now with UK-based people. You get through really quickly to them but they don't seem to know much.

We've turned our wifi off on the router as we have the BT Wholehome discs - Helpdesk don't understand how I can have wifi when its off on the router and think that could be causing the slowness.

We also have an ethernet switch in the house, so on the BT router page you can see there's all these other devices connected on a single port. BT think this is the devil's work and explains why the connection is intermittently utterly borked. Even though it was fine for a few weeks and its the same if I disconnect the switch. The last person I spoke to had never seen such a high number of devices in a house, so the fact it was more than 4 meant it was definitely to blame. *sigh*
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:25 pm I've just ordered BT full fibre as for £7.99 more per month for 150Mbps (compared to 40 now). Seems a no-brainer. Fingers crossed I won't end up regretting it if/when it comes to install it.

EDIT: but glad that you're enjoying your improved service!
Ended up regretting it. Have cancelled the order today after three failed attempts at getting the service installed.

First attempt never happened. Apparently the engineer showed up, realised they needed a hoist and left. He didn't ring the doorbell or answer when I called him. Only found out when I called customer service who tried to convince me that five hours past the end of the appointment slot didn't count as missed, because until the engineer had updated their system with an end-of-day report "he could still show up". Got it rebooked. Asked to ensure a hoist was brought.

Second appointment comes round and this time he shows up, but with no hoist. Says he can complete the install, but only by running the fiber straight down next to the front door. I explained that I didn't want a thick black cable attached with large black clips running down next to the door on my white house. He then agrees that he does indeed need a hoist to run the cable like I want it. So I send him away. Get it rebooked a third time. Promises of hoists, account credits and so forth.

Call them up this morning to confirm all is as planned, as I was told hoists can't be pre-booked, but are allocated on the day. First person I spoke to had to transfer me to the full fiber team because "there were some issues with my order, but he only dealt with copper installs". Spoke to someone in the full fiber team who told me that the installation had been cancelled by them for some unknown reason and that I should have been notified, but that she could see on the system that I hadn't. She was very apologetic, and offered to try to fix the issue, but I'd had enough.

If that's how they treat new customers, then they're not getting my money. Will take a new contract with Vodafone because it won't require Openreach to get involved.
---
Simon

Post by Simon »

Is Voda unbundled at your exchange? Because otherwise they _will_ need Openreach to get involved, right?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'm already with them, so just a question of signing up for a new contract.
---
mik

Post by mik »

Hmm - I am about to go BT fibre but I am already with them. Not that they are coming across awesomely so far - first appointment cancelled by them, rebooked me on a date that doesn’t work, so I to change it today. But when I check the order online I get an error…. :?
Simon

Post by Simon »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:31 pm I'm already with them, so just a question of signing up for a new contract.
Sure, but if they still have to deliver full fibre then is that OR or Voda?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Simon wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:31 pm I'm already with them, so just a question of signing up for a new contract.
Sure, but if they still have to deliver full fibre then is that OR or Voda?
Ah I see what you mean. Vodafone hasn't got full fiber here yet. Just good old copper. But that'll do for now. Can't be bothered with the faff for what is a nice to have extra.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:37 pm Hmm - I am about to go BT fibre but I am already with them. Not that they are coming across awesomely so far - first appointment cancelled by them, rebooked me on a date that doesn’t work, so I to change it today. But when I check the order online I get an error…. :?
Different team and still dependent on the unaccountable Openreach's unaccountable subcontractors.

Good luck! May you fare better than I did.
---
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:01 pm
mik wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:37 pm Hmm - I am about to go BT fibre but I am already with them. Not that they are coming across awesomely so far - first appointment cancelled by them, rebooked me on a date that doesn’t work, so I to change it today. But when I check the order online I get an error…. :?
Different team and still dependent on the unaccountable Openreach's unaccountable subcontractors.

Openreach are amazingly poor regardless of your provider. I gave in with BT at my parent's place in Cornwall after 12 months of trying to get Fibre installed - The copper in the village is actually 30 year old brittle aluminium which drops out all of the time.
I thought thath there's no harm in trying another company, even though they'll still have to use Openreach. 8 more months and five visits and we got there in the end! 70Mb. I still have an unresolved compensation claim with them as they damaged the lime render by drilling/nailing exactly where I told them not to.
My house at the top of the village gets 70Mb on real copper - the exchange is about 300ft away. It took a week to set up after we completed.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jimexpl wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:47 pm

Openreach are amazingly poor regardless of your provider. I gave in with BT at my parent's place in Cornwall after 12 months of trying to get Fibre installed - The copper in the village is actually 30 year old brittle aluminium which drops out all of the time.
I thought thath there's no harm in trying another company, even though they'll still have to use Openreach. 8 more months and five visits and we got there in the end! 70Mb. I still have an unresolved compensation claim with them as they damaged the lime render by drilling/nailing exactly where I told them not to.
My house at the top of the village gets 70Mb on real copper - the exchange is about 300ft away. It took a week to set up after we completed.
Yes, I'm aware that Openreach is the key issue, but they're owned by BT, so it is a decision from BT to not fix things. Your tenacity is far greater than mine!
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I thought everyone knew BT were wank?? A hateful company to deal with in my previous experience and not one I'd go back to unless I had no option.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:46 am

Yes, I'm aware that Openreach is the key issue, but they're owned by BT, so it is a decision from BT to not fix things. Your tenacity is far greater than mine!
That’s only because there’s no phone reception in the village unless you’re on O2 and the weather is good. Relocating down there for a chunk of last year home schooling and working from home on a flakey 7mb increased my determination to get it resolved!
Actually, the first solution was to buy a house at the top of the village with 70mb copper - the fibre got installed at my parents the following week.
So the correct solution is another mortgage!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jimexpl wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:00 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:46 am

That’s only because there’s no phone reception in the village unless you’re on O2 and the weather is good. Relocating down there for a chunk of last year home schooling and working from home on a flakey 7mb increased my determination to get it resolved!
Actually, the first solution was to buy a house at the top of the village with 70mb copper - the fibre got installed at my parents the following week.
So the correct solution is another mortgage!
That seems a bit excessive, but needs must!
---