What TV’s are we buying these days???

dinny_g

What TV’s are we buying these days???

Post by dinny_g »

Is Mark_BT52 around anymore?? :lol:

New house, new hallway so new TV...

Budget £1500 to £2000 - 55” for Sky and Smart TV only (no gaming)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: What TV’s are we buying these days???

Post by Rich B »

Blimey - TVs aren't cheap these days. I've not had a new one in the last 5-6 years and I assumed you'd be able to get a decent 50ish inch one for well under a grand.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:24 pm Blimey - TVs aren't cheap these days. I've not had a new one in the last 5-6 years and I assumed you'd be able to get a decent 50ish inch one for well under a grand.
You can buy a decent one for well under £500 :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol: show what I know. That’s what so spent 14 years ago when I last bought a TV so that was my starting budget.

Ok, forget the budget then and recommend me a good tv

Are Panasonic Plasma’s still good??😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Just go to currys and buy the one with the biggest discount 🤷‍♂️
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

We paid £350 for a 50" one. :lol:
Buttons for Amazon, Netflix, Freeview Player (inc iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, My5) and YouTube, and it also does Chromecast no problem.
Looks like £390 for the newer version. The built-in TV guide is a bit suspect but we hardly watch anything that's not streamed anyway so no bother.
Left over crest; tightens.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

This. I think you either spend 1500-2000 for a mole-black uber TV...that no media actually takes advantage of, or you spend £500-600 on something that will actually do you fine for the next 5 years. I like Samsung kit, fine for the money.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Phew!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I guess it depends on if you like your blacks to be proper black.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:48 pm I guess it depends on if you like your blacks to be proper black.
can you say that?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:55 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:48 pm I guess it depends on if you like your blacks to be proper black.
can you say that?
He's from a different generation, doesn't mean anything by it.

We ended up with a 65" LG OLED after spending way too much time deliberating about it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Loving my sony 43. Android OS is great.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I can’t remember the model I got but it’s Samsung 4K 52” and it was about £600. I’m pretty happy with it.

Looking around for more than a grand you can get OLED 8k. Would be worth the extra to futureproof if you have the money to spend anyway I’d think.

Mines is actually a 55”, model number is UE55TU7020KXXU.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Shlergen wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:26 pm Loving my sony 43. Android OS is great.
I’m very happy with Android on my Sony too. Also impressed that the remote works the Sky box. The telly itself I bought at Christmas when our old one died; it’s a 49”, 4K model and cost £600 then, currently £528 at Curry’s.

The picture quality on the Chromecast screensaver is lovely. Very few sources I watch have as good quality streams so I can’t see why you’d pay more for an 8K screen when what you watch won’t do it justice for a few years. By which time 8K screens will be under £600.

The one complaint I do have with my tv is that watching a particular 4K stream on YouTube can suffer pauses - not sure if it’s the tv’s fault, YouTube’s fault, our internet (over 300mbps so shouldn’t be - it works fine with Netflix at 4K) or even this particular Youtuber’s fault. I just knock it back to 1080p manually for his stuff.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Have a look to see if the tv is dropping to 2.4ghz wifi.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I know someone who bought a ridiculously expensive 8k tv last year. There’s so little content that he mainly uses it to look at those 8k YouTube clips used for demos. But I reckon those YouTube videos are so compressed that in reality they’re worse than a normal 1080p Blu Ray :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Real-life Females
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I got a new TV a month ago - JVC (now an own brand) 43in 4k TV from Currys-PCWorld, for £280.
Its made by Vestel like most of the cheap end stuff nowadays, but the screen is a big upgrade in quality from the HD screens.
One review tested the screen at over 400 nits brightness and 5000:1 contrast ratio, which is very good for the price I paid.
Thought it seems to do 4k fine, not really bothered about watching 4K content as 43in TV is only just about big enough to see HD properly at normal viewing distances.

Went for a Fire TV over Android, (had android and Roku plug in devices before) and pleasantly integrates with our Echos. Picture quality is spot on and no issues with motion even at 4k. Out of box standard mode has every picture processing option on and messing the quality up, but the default movie mode settings turn it all off and only needs minor tweaks of brightness and contrast to get spot on calibration.

Had Roku sticks for about 3 or 4 years, I found early Android and fire tv too buggy and slow, but now Android/Fire TV is more mature Roku feels a bit outdated.

Mostly watch Netflix/Prime and the terrestrial channel streaming, very little live tv (Freesat) partly because the remote is knackered.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

We bought this a few months ago

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-ho ... 7-pdt.html

The sound is sufficiently good to not need to always have the amp and 7.1 on of your watching normal TV.

Decent picture quality as well, the ambilight looks really quite good at night and it links to and can control the hue lights as well if you want it to.

Wasn't cheap but should be OK for the next few years hopefully, we got it from A.O and it was a bit less that from Currys and next day delivery.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I splashed out recently (first new tv in 7 years) and bought a 48 inch LG OLED (OLED48CX5LC)

It is essentially the same price as the 55 - so not good value but we didn’t want the 55 as it sits on a wall in the front room with a door on it and any larger would mean it would be noticeably off centre (plus would probably look too large for the room and therefore a bit chavvy).

I was properly amazed in the step up in quality from our old Panasonic. The HDR makes an amazing difference and the 4K is certainly a noticeable uplift in resolution even on a 48 inch TV. The F1 looks awesome.

I would certainly recommend OLED rather than any variant of LED if you’re spending that kind of money (and don’t intend to face it directly opposite a large window).