Phones offers & deals

Foz

Phones offers & deals

Post by Foz »

Place to throw in any offers..

My iPhone XS Max has been great but time to upgrade, probably the 12 Pro max as I want the LiDAR Scanner.
Zonda_

Re: Phones offers & deals

Post by Zonda_ »

I'm considering going back to Apple. I had the original iPhone and have had android since, currently using a OnePlus 8 and it's very disappointing, freezes regularly, the battery life that was outstanding to begin with is terrible now after less that 6 months and I just don't get on with it. I wouldn't risk trying another of the cheap Chinese brands.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My wife has a 12 Pro Max and I have an XS, and I honestly can’t see any reason to upgrade to a new model. Not sure I like the square edged shape of the new ones either; they’re not as nice to hold and it makes them look thicker.

So I recommend USwitch for a comparison of SIM-only deals. I’m paying Vodafone £8 a month for 12 months, unlimited calls and texts plus 12GB of data. Limited to 4G rather than 5G, which has no practical effect for me at all.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:20 am My wife has a 12 Pro Max and I have an XS, and I honestly can’t see any reason to upgrade to a new model. Not sure I like the square edged shape of the new ones either; they’re not as nice to hold and it makes them look thicker.

So I recommend USwitch for a comparison of SIM-only deals. I’m paying Vodafone £8 a month for 12 months, unlimited calls and texts plus 12GB of data. Limited to 4G rather than 5G, which has no practical effect for me at all.
You are safe from tHe AiDz!

My contract is up next month and I find myself utterly uninspired by what is on offer. I have a Hawawawawa Pro 30 which annoys me immensely with how it shuts down apps and I hit full stop constantly instead of the space bar.

However, I am almost used to it now, the S21 which I was considering appears to overheat and I may try the SIM only route, although every time i have tried that, an update has magically buggered my phone, either freezing or crap battery life so have always ended up with a new phone a few months later.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Gavin wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:49 am
Jobbo wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:20 am My wife has a 12 Pro Max and I have an XS, and I honestly can’t see any reason to upgrade to a new model. Not sure I like the square edged shape of the new ones either; they’re not as nice to hold and it makes them look thicker.

My contract is up next month and I find myself utterly uninspired by what is on offer. I have a Hawawawawa Pro 30 which annoys me immensely with how it shuts down apps and I hit full stop constantly instead of the space bar.

However, I am almost used to it now, the S21 which I was considering appears to overheat and I may try the SIM only route, although every time i have tried that, an update has magically buggered my phone, either freezing or crap battery life so have always ended up with a new phone a few months later.
I too find myself uninspired with current smartphone offering, plus my Pixel 2 XL is still mighty effective. The price of flagship phones alone or via a contract deal are crackers nowadays. If I don't go Google again (6 XL maybe) then I'll be looking at Oppo or Xiaomi for sensible price/high spec.

I have never owned a phone that has been borked by an update and I do keep mine quite a while. Probably on of the good things about having a Google phone. My old Galaxy Note 4 went on for nearly 4 years with no trouble whatsoever.

Even my hateful work iPhones have never had problems with updates and we keep them for 4 years 🤯.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I've got an XR and there doesn't seem to be much use in upgrading. I'm currently sim only with GiffGaff, £10 for 10gb data and unlimited everything else, no contract.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I haven't bothered upgrading since my XS Max, I remember being forced into the XS Max as my iPhone 7+ had a board failure and even then I didn't think the XS Max at the time offered anything worth upgrading. Whenever you buy a new phone the battery initially seems like it's amazing but 8 months later and they're back to crap.

I think they're just at such refined now that even the manufactures don't know what to do with them. Here's a 70 megapixel zoom camera, here's a microscope, here's a folding screen, how about a projector :roll:
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Change the keyboard?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Have had my OnePlus 6T for just over two years now and there's no reason to upgrade. Battery life is still more than a full day, with moderate use i'll have 60%+ left at bedtime and as I don't game on it it is plenty fast enough.

The only minor annoyance is that the Android 11 upgrade has been delayed and may not happen at all (according to the online rumour mill). But even without that, and short of it breaking, I can't see it being worth upgrading until Android 10 is no longer supported.
---
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:49 am

Change the keyboard?
You can do that?????? :shock:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavin wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:20 am

Change the keyboard?
Yeeeees. Choose a keyboard app in the play store, install it and switch. You can also mess about with the layout on some of them to find a setup that suits you better.
---
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:25 am

Change the keyboard?
Yeeeees. Choose a keyboard app in the play store, install it and switch. You can also mess about with the layout on some of them to find a setup that suits you better.
Are you a teenager???? :lol: I had no idea that was possible. I know my daughter has customised her phone completely so will maybe get her to do it! Cheers.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavin wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:43 am

Are you a teenager???? :lol: I had no idea that was possible. I know my daughter has customised her phone completely so will maybe get her to do it! Cheers.
I'm not. But with 20+ years in IT I've learnt one or two things (not much more though).
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Gavin wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:43 am

Google Gboard FTW 👍👍
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We recently upgraded - Mrs got a 12 and I got a 12 Pro

Both great bits of kit but I wish I didn’t bother with the pro. It’s too heavy for my liking...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I recently swapped my 6s for an se.

Didn’t want a bigger phone, don’t like Face ID and the lack of a home button seems a faff. Shame they never made a hidden fingerprint reader and click button for a full screen phone.

Doesn’t really do anything, but the battery lasts and it doesn’t get uncomfortably hot when charging. Stabilised camera is a lot better too. Just a shame it hasn’t got the extra zoom lens like the bigger brothers.

I’ll probably keep this one for another 4 years before I worry about what to get next 😂
Cheers, Harry
Foz

Post by Foz »

I think I will do this, I ended up getting an iPad Pro with the LiDAR Scanner to help with the house plans, the XS Max still
Does the job, I will just go sim only..
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I use Microsoft SwiftKey as you can make it really large!
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

The glass back of my Honor 10 has mysteriously shattered. The phone still works fine but I suppose I should start looking at a potential replacement. Mid-level Android (not touching Apple rubbish), currently looking at the OnePlus Nord and Pixel 4a although evonomics might take effect as the OnePlus 8T looks rather nice too.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:29 pm We recently upgraded - Mrs got a 12 and I got a 12 Pro

Both great bits of kit but I wish I didn’t bother with the pro. It’s too heavy for my liking...
Another minor criticism of the 12 Pro - the power button sits where index finger sits when you hold it naturally - meaning lots of putting it on lock or grabbing unwanted screen shots you don't want.

Minor though - I'm used to the weight of it now.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…