Laptops....

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Laptops....

Post by Sundayjumper »

After a lifetime (hey, it bloody feels like it) of using Windows I bought myself a MacBook Air a year or so ago and I like:

The size
The design
The build
The charger
The screen
The haptic touchpad
The fact Apple's Mail app gives you a consolidated "All Inboxes"
Apple keychain syncs to my phone
Linking easily to my Apple TV & ancient Mac Mini that is plugged into my TV

Overall it's a very nice thing

But I don't like:

The @ key is in the wrong place
I use a Windows 10 machine all day every day for work and find it a bit frustrating trying to find stuff when I switch back
I use keyboard shortcuts a lot and of course they're different
I deliberately bought an Intel Mac so it'll run Windows under bootcamp but even then it's not quite the same

Final straws seem to be:

The latest OS update has stopped it working with my USB-C dock
The latest OS update has some bright gaudy "modern" wallpaper instead of the nice peaceful picture of an island we had before
The latest OS update has taken away the % battery figure in the header
The latest OS update has removed the consolidated Junk email box so I now have several to clear out every day instead of one

Luddite. What-evs.

So I'm thinking of giving my Air to the wife who is a designer and thinks Windows is the weird stepchild and Apple is The Way, and getting myself a new laptop that I understand.

I have spent more time writing this post than actually researching it :lol: but Dell XPS and MS Surface look pretty. Pretty and running Windows (and Office, obvs) is what I care about. Not very bothered about connectivity, it'll either be used as an actual laptop and totally wireless, or plugged into a USB-C hub and out of sight if I'm at my desk. Budget: a bit like an Air ? Give or take. I'm old enough that I realise expensive things are expensive.

Beany - if your answer involves either linux or ubuntu you can GTF :D
NGRhodes

Re: Laptops....

Post by NGRhodes »

For me the choice is a Dell XPS or Lenovo X1, whichever offers best spec for the money at the moment you choose to buy.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

The XPS 13 is pretty much what would happen if apple produced a windows laptop. They also have more sales than DFS.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have an XPS15 which is about 3 years old now and I'd definitely buy another. Much as I like the physical Apple products and the integration of their stuff, I use Windows all day for work because (1) I'm so used to it after 30+ years and (2) the software I use for work only runs on Windows and the one time I bought a Macbook Pro, I sold it on fairly quickly because I found I couldn't seamlessly log on remotely.

I do have a Surface Pro 4 which killed itself - I left it plugged in and charging while turned off, and it turned itself on and overheated while I didn't check it for a day or so, which has broken the screen. Microsoft's only offer was for me to pay £500 or so for a Surface Pro 5, which is what they sell for as refurbs anyway and not at all tempting. So I don't trust MS hardware and wouldn't buy anything of theirs again. The reality is that the Surface Pro felt like a good idea, badly executed; it might be that when sticking to a laptop form factor they get it right, but there isn't a consistency in their products like with Apple so there's no confidence when buying.

Since there are so many different review sites and Youtube channels out there you could spend weeks deciding, by which time the specs will have changed slightly and the review cycle starts again. Hence I'm just going to stick with Dell when I upgrade. But you have to pick your moment to buy; I got a decent spec XPS15 in a deal on their refurb store for about £1000, although their normal store deals change pretty much weekly and often apply to just one particular spec, so keep a very close eye on what's available and jump on the good deal when you see it.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I get the frustration switching between Mac and Windows - thankfully my current client only lets me login with Citrix meaning the Mac shortcuts all work.

At the end of the day you need to get what is right for you. No point sticking with something for the sake of it and those Dell XPs seem to be the ones everybody recommends.
Cheers,

Mike.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Will Parallels be working on a software that can work with the M1 chip?

I've held off buying a new mac because there's one program we use that only runs via a PC (or via bootcamp/parallels).
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Holley wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:54 am Will Parallels be working on a software that can work with the M1 chip?

I've held off buying a new mac because there's one program we use that only runs via a PC (or via bootcamp/parallels).
The beta version has been out for a couple of months. I've been using it to run Windows on an M1 since then and its been very reliable. They've just released a new version yesterday with Linux support, so its all coming together.

I've not found anything it won't run yet and even if you have to do the Windows compatibility thing to make it run on ARM it still runs very fast due to the performance of the M1.

Installing Windows updates is the only thing that's made my laptop warm up yet, no matter what else I throw at it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Ascender wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:57 am
Holley wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:54 am Will Parallels be working on a software that can work with the M1 chip?

The beta version has been out for a couple of months. I've been using it to run Windows on an M1 since then and its been very reliable. They've just released a new version yesterday with Linux support, so its all coming together.

I've not found anything it won't run yet and even if you have to do the Windows compatibility thing to make it run on ARM it still runs very fast due to the performance of the M1.

Installing Windows updates is the only thing that's made my laptop warm up yet, no matter what else I throw at it.
Oh that's interesting! We currently use a 2012 and a 2014 iMac and were quite keen on the new mac books or another iMac but with more power. But it seems rumours suggest a new iMac with the M1 chip will be here this spring which would be preferable.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Holley wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:10 am
Ascender wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:57 am

Oh that's interesting! We currently use a 2012 and a 2014 iMac and were quite keen on the new mac books or another iMac but with more power. But it seems rumours suggest a new iMac with the M1 chip will be here this spring which would be preferable.
Yip, the new iMac is on its way apparently, presumably there will an event next month with some new hardware.

The new MacBook Air is ridiculously fast in every way while also being fan-less and cool to the touch. Its incredible what they've managed to do with their entry level laptop by ditching Intel.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

NGRhodes wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:54 am Lenovo X1
I've a Lenovo T15 for work - very impressed with it although the Touch Screen is a bit unnecessary.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

Beany - if your answer involves either linux or ubuntu you can GTF
I don't really do laptop procurement so I'm not sure what's hot or not these days.

That, and the hellscape that is current demand on the supply chain (black Friday levels of demand since last match that hasn't dropped, bitcoin miners snapping to new hardware, etc) then looking at the market seems kinda pointless right now. ie mobile Ryzen 5000 seems good and is finding its way into more OEM designs, but try finding one of the high end ones at a reasonable price, etc.

That, and you know, I'm busy :lol:
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Surface Laptop 3.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I think I’m in the same position as Jobbo. Feel free to requote that one :shock:

Jon - have you got a surface 3 ? It does look quite nice.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I read a few separate reviews of the Surface that mentioned random glitches that require a reboot each time. Sounds sketchy. That kind of thing would drive me mad. And a proprietary power connector when USB-C is simpler & more flexible.

Refurbed XPS13 ordered.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:03 pm I read a few separate reviews of the Surface that mentioned random glitches that require a reboot each time. Sounds sketchy. That kind of thing would drive me mad. And a proprietary power connector when USB-C is simpler & more flexible.

Refurbed XPS13 ordered.
I had a Surface Pro a few years ago and the charger was a pain in the area. It was temperamental when working and 4 failed in as many years.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Sorry, missed this. No, I don't have a Surface, but have recently deployed a couple of the Laptop 3 15" versions. I would agree that they are really nice machines. One did have some restart glitches when doing Surface updates (drivers), meaning forced restarts. No probs with the charger and their magnetised connection is quite nice. They charge at 4A rather then the 3A max of USB-C....yeah, hardly a big deal, I 100% agree.

Let us know how you get on with the XPS. My own experience of Dell refurbed stuff hasn't been great, but time will tell.
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:23 pm Sorry, missed this. No, I don't have a Surface, but have recently deployed a couple of the Laptop 3 15" versions. I would agree that they are really nice machines. One did have some restart glitches when doing Surface updates (drivers), meaning forced restarts. No probs with the charger and their magnetised connection is quite nice. They charge at 4A rather then the 3A max of USB-C....yeah, hardly a big deal, I 100% agree.

Let us know how you get on with the XPS. My own experience of Dell refurbed stuff hasn't been great, but time will tell.
I've had 13.5" one for 18 months-ish and think it's fantastic. The only glitch was the touch screen stopped working, reinstalled the driver and haven't had a problem since. Excellent battery life and ISO keyboard are great too. The only downside sides I've noticed so far is that the fan is a bit noisy when it's working really hard and the Alcantara has gone a bit shiny where I rest my hands whilst typing.

Not that any of this matters now that you've gone and bought the wrong laptop.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:03 pm Refurbed XPS13 ordered.
It arrived Tuesday and I have had nearly two days of using it now.

List #1: Everything about it that's better than the Macbook Air:

It doesn't have a Mac keyboard layout.
The keys are slightly chunkier and have a longer travel.

List #2: Everything about it that's worse than the Macbook Air:

Everything that's not on List #1.

Somebody said it's what Apple would make if they made a Windows laptop. I'd clarify that by saying it's what Apple would make if they made a Windows laptop and didn't want to risk losing any sales of Macs. It works and all, it's just.... not as nice as the Air.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The palm rest not being metal is comfier, even though it's not as pretty as a Macbook. And the bezels of the screen on the latest XPSs are nice and slim compared to Macs. But you're right, it's a very good advert for controlling the hardware and OS isn't it? If only Apple made Windows computers with Windows keyboards.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:50 am If only Apple made Windows computers with Windows keyboards.
That's exactly what I was thinking. If I could reconfigure the Air with a proper keyboard I'd just run it under Windows the whole time and be done with it.

I'm trying not to go full Mark on this :)

Oh, and aside - I also bought a refurb Dell KM636 wireless keyboard & mouse for £25 and I'm pretty pleased with it. The mouse seems to snooze quite quickly and takes a split second to wake up if you've left it too long but that's minor and otherwise it's really good.