Smart watch / fitness trackers

McSwede

Smart watch / fitness trackers

Post by McSwede »

I've been in the market for something like this for a little while and have just bought a Garmin Vivoactive 4. I started running at the back end of last year and did Couch to 5K and am now running on a regular basis (40 miles in Jan). I have been running with an armband phone holder but wanted to get something more fit for purpose and that can help me as a training aid whilst utilising Spotify and pairing my Creative Outlier Air ear buds.

Also bought a 4s for the wife's birthday in a few days. Let's see how she takes that 😂

What are other forumites using???
Brannen

Re: Smart watch / fitness trackers

Post by Brannen »

I've got an Apple Watch series 5 which works great with my iPhone and Air Pods (obviously). I use it for tracking my workouts and cycling using Strava. Can't complain, but would take it's calories burned etc with a pinch of salt.
John

Post by John »

I've got the Vivoactive 3, pretty basic but does all I need when out on the bikes.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

735XT for the last few years. Still going strong so no need to change it. Missus has a vivo 3, on her 2nd one under warranty.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Garmin HR, my third Garmin, has a daft number of activities including indoor rowing.... :shock:
Mark_bt52

Post by Mark_bt52 »

Have a Galaxy Active 2. Think it is great.
Can activate the ECG now and if you have a Samsung phone you can use the BP monitor.
Nissan GT-R / Audi S4./ BMW 530d
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

If anyone is into orange thumbing, feel free to add me.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:13 pm If anyone is into orange thumbing, feel free to add me.
Sounds disgraceful. I was frightened to click on the link 😂😂
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

:lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I have a somewhat vague memory of what its like to run.... Most of the time I use my Apple Watch now, but for long days in the hills I've got a Suunto 9 Baro.
Cheers,

Mike.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Bought a Fitbit and then promptly took it back when I found out what the Xiaomi Mi Band 5 can do for the price!
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

unzippy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 am Bought a Fitbit and then promptly took it back when I found out what the Xiaomi Mi Band 5 can do for the price!
I've gone one pikier with a generic Mi Band 5 copy. £8 off eBay :lol:

Mrs. Nef had a Fitbit (2, I think) and now has a mid-priced generic (FitPal or FitPro, £28, IIRC).

Comparing those three and my daughter's phone based Google Fit we've come to the following conclusions:
Google Fit seems more accurate on distance, the other three all measure a bit (up to 25%) short.
Step count seems consistent on all 4 devices (i.e. same device different day), but varies a lot between devices (Fitpal and M5 on the same walk logged 11.6k and 9.2k, respectively).
Sleep monitoring is roughly accurate for total hours, but complete nonsense for sleep phases. All devices.
Heart rate/blood pressure monitoring (comparing to a proper inflatable cuff type monitor) is complete nonsense.

Basically, they're all OK for comparing yourself one day to another day, but don't pay too much attention to absolute step counts or distance (for non-GPS linked ones). Use the sleep monitor for a rough indication of total hours but ignore the finer detail. Forget the heart monitoring stuff.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mark_bt52 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:21 pm Have a Galaxy Active 2. Think it is great.
Can activate the ECG now and if you have a Samsung phone you can use the BP monitor.
I have the Active 2, great watch. How do you activate the ECG, I've been waiting for the update.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

It really is Garmin or nowt. GPS issues in the last couple of months aside, 'natch.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mr_jon wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:37 pm It really is Garmin or nowt. GPS issues in the last couple of months aside, 'natch.
Mine were in stock with Garmin but still haven't shipped. Bastards! 😂
Mark_bt52

Post by Mark_bt52 »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:43 pm
Mark_bt52 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:21 pm Have a Galaxy Active 2. Think it is great.
I have the Active 2, great watch. How do you activate the ECG, I've been waiting for the update.
If you have a Samsung watch then it's simple and you get BP working too.

If not then follow this guide. Bit fiddly but works and you only need do it once.
Nissan GT-R / Audi S4./ BMW 530d
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Garmin Vivoactive 4 arrived yesterday. Seems like a cracking bit of kit so far. Had a 6k run this morning with it while listening to a podcast from it. Nice to see live data while running and see how my body copes. Surprised to see how well I recover and how my rating heart rate is at 51bpm. Averaging about 145bpm when out for a run.

It's adding another layer of interest to something I never expected to enjoy so much!
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Wait till you have some beers and realise your resting heart rate rises by 20bpm! It hammers home what crap we put our bodies through.

Looking forward to on-board music/podcast stuff as it's one of the few things mine doesn't do. I have a little mp3 player in my belt from the chinaman, but as it's only BT4 it can be a bit sketchy. Supposedly Garmin are going to make a massive step forward in the next generation of tri watches so I'll continue to hang on.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Over a week into the Vivoactive 4 and I think it's brilliant! Battery is lasting 4/5 days with occasional GPS and Spotify.

Very pleased with it and would recommend.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I use my Fossil Sport. For £80 it does the usual "daily" watch uses and also covers my runs well enough.

Battery life isn't the best, but can just about squeeze a full day out of it.