Electric heating- radiators and boiler.

Foz

Electric heating- radiators and boiler.

Post by Foz »

For small flats, the normal go-to is to pull the old storage heaters and replace with a combi..

Anyone any experience of the new stuff?
Jimexpl

Re: Electric heating- radiators and boiler.

Post by Jimexpl »

I put one in my parent’s holiday home (2 1/2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 12 rads) nine years ago and it’s been perfect. A combined boiler/storage tank - can’t remember the name.
I’ve also put them into two refurbs where there was no gas, but the modular kits where you buy a tall slim ‘boiler’ and separate water tank. Again no issues while we were selling them and never heard anything from the buyers, even though we remained in contact about other items.

They’re not the cheapest source of heating, but I like the solution.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Check that your incoming electric main can take it, they’re a massive draw
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

jamcg wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:14 pm Check that your incoming electric main can take it, they’re a massive draw
Yes, you should check, but if you're currently running with an immersion heater and half a dozen storage heaters, then the loading will be similar.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Foz wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 am For small flats, the normal go-to is to pull the old storage heaters and replace with a combi..

Anyone any experience of the new stuff?
When I lived in Scotland I had a Heatrae Electromax 180l invented cylinder with a built in electric boiler for a conventional wet central heating system. It was superb. Rads got hot very quickly and loads of mains pressure hot water. It lived in the loft out of the way but nearly did my back in lifting it up through the hatch.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

This is what I put into the cottage -
https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/Heatrae- ... o_s=gplauk

It'll comfortably give 4-5 high pressure showers in the morning without needing a boost.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Thanks!