Printers

Swervin_Mervin

Printers

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Our ageing HP inkjet has finally given up tonight. Any recommendations for multi function ones?

The Canon ink tank ones get good write ups but the occasional moans about the ink absorption pads needing changing at a canon service centre. Google seems to suggestthey can be DIYed tho.
Jimmy Choo

Re: Printers

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I'd recommend avoiding Lexmark unless you use genuine ink only. The error message caused a certain ginger mentalist to throw it across the room.

I'd also recommend avoiding ginger mentalists.

I was recommended Canon printers a few years ago and I've had zero problems with either the one I had at work or the one I have at home.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I hate inkjets. I'm sure they're so cheap to buy because they're effectively disposable, not simply to sell you expensive ink. They always dry up even when full of ink, or gum up the head or whatever.

Bought a cheap laser for my dad because it should be pretty maintenance free in comparison.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I've been running an Epson ET-2650 for about 3 years now with zero problems. It's the one with refillable ink tanks and I use non OEM ink to top up. It seems to last for ages on a refill too and I've only had to run a deep clean cycle once as the magenta was patchy, and that was due to inactivity over the last year.

ETA I used to go through a cartridge inkjet printer once a year before they would crap out on me.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:19 am I hate inkjets.
Same. This hasn't even been used for years until fairly recently, but it did have a habit of getting through cartridges. I was surprised it still worked at all tbh, but then I got the carriage jam error they were susceptible to and it seems that's game over.

I looked at lasers but for the cheapest colour you're looking at £230 and then it can be as much again to replace the cartridges. The ink tank printers seem like a good compromise between the two.

Gwarredd - I've seen an Epson this morning which seems to get decent reviews actually.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Black and white is fine for home use - if you wanted to print photos etc then a cheap inkjet isn't going to give you great quality anyway.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:19 am I hate inkjets. I'm sure they're so cheap to buy because they're effectively disposable, not simply to sell you expensive ink. They always dry up even when full of ink, or gum up the head or whatever.
JIC as always.

My last two, a Canon and HP one were OK in the first instance and generic Ink could be bought for both. After time, I could no longer get the generic cartridges so was now facing £20 or £30 (I can't remember exactly but LOT more) per pack of 4 colours. As soon as there's any problem, they're gone and a new one bought - my last one for £40 :lol:

Like the B&W Laser home, Colour Office idea Jobbo. when I get a home office sorted, I''ll look to do that
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:07 am Black and white is fine for home use - if you wanted to print photos etc then a cheap inkjet isn't going to give you great quality anyway.
Yeah, I need colour ;)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

A decent feeder for scanning is more important to me these days than the printing side, to be honest. I must say it's fucking lovely being able to choose our machine for the office now, even if it's more per month (excluding the actual printing costs) to lease than a basic laser printer is for the home :lol:
Last edited by Jobbo on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I use HP and have an instant ink subscription with them so it always gets posted to me automatically before I run out. Have used for years and wouldn't want to change.

Jobbo's right though about inkjets. I buy a new one every 2-3year as they are a disposable item.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've got an Epson Workforce 3620. Best inkjet printer/scanner I've had and leagues ahead of previous HPs.

Can use non-original ink, but have to click the annoying message away.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Scout around and there are some silly cashback deals on small colour lasers.

I got a small Brother HL-L8260CDW a year ago for WFH and homework stuff and it's absolutely fine; still going on the factory toners, which are nowhere near as stingy as HP.

If you're not printing glossy photo's or something at home there really is zero need to go inkjet.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We've got a Canon multi-function thing which has lasted years and is still going strong. Its also good enough for printing-out 6x4 colour pics which is about the only thing we still do in colour. I did abandon my belief to only buy branded ink a while back - never noticed a difference in quality...

Brother lasers are very good although we just have a mono one.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I went through 3 of those £40 inkjet printers within a semester when I first went to uni (the ink cost £50!), decided to stump up for a Brother Laser printer. It only printed in black and cost £300 but I still have it now and it’s only needed 1 toner.
How about not having a sig at all?
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Bought a Brother HL-L8250CDN a few years back, last model they made that has refillable toner cartridges, compatible toner is about £80 to fill all 4 cartridges and lasts ages!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I ran an Epsom all-in-one inkjet for 10 years using cheap eBay cartridges