Laptop Docks

8Ball

Laptop Docks

Post by 8Ball »

Looking for a laptop dock that will let me run two HDMI monitors, but can connect to a laptop via USB-A (work laptop) or via USB-C/Thunderbolt including power delivery (personal laptop).

Additional USB-A/C would also be nice for charging/connecting things like phone etc.

This seems like it'll do the job, but wondering if there are other options out there.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Laptop Docks

Post by Matty »

This may not be relevant, but be aware - there are throughput/display limitations. For example, we bought a dock for a client but it could'nt output enough for 3x 1440p displays and had to get the next one up.

Just something to be aware of if you've got something mad like 2x 4K displays; both the dock and the tech (USB-C/Thunderbolt) have throughput limits.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I doubt any dock will run much in the way of monitors at decent resolution over USB-A.

Got a few Dell docks in the office which work fine but don’t fit your specs, and they’re pricey.
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

Good points.

Monitor is a 1080p HD @ 1920x1080 resolution, and they won't be used for graphic intensive stuff or gaming.

Laptops and monitors are all Dell, so looked at their's first, and then started looking elsewhere as they are pricey.

Might play around with sending the display through a cheap dongle first to see how the display is before I buy the second monitor and dock.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Why not just buy an Ultra wide monitor and flog your existing monitor on ?
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

Lol. Just been looking at them :D
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

I bought a Plugable 4k one which is lovely but the displaylink isn't working with my Dell lat 5400 laptop..
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:05 pm I doubt any dock will run much in the way of monitors at decent resolution over USB-A.
That's what I was thinking.

I have a DK1633 ThinkPad Dock here connected to my work laptop, it happily runs two 1920x1200 monitors with a third 1920x1200 connected direct to the laptop. Dock & laptop live tucked away under the desk to keep it all tidy.

The dock was about £50 from Ebay, used but as-new.
Marv

Post by Marv »

I've been using one of these for the past month or so for my new work laptop. Works well, but a bit pricey (you may be able to find it cheaper)

https://www.ebuyer.com/855251-startech- ... gIY1fD_BwE
Oui, je suis un motard.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I bought my stepdaughter one of these for her Macbook Air:
It just works, and you can plug a USB power supply into it to charge your device - made me wonder why something labelled a 'dock' is so much more expensive.
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

I've got a cheap one of those for connecting my laptop to the TV in the garage when I'm on the cycle trainer.

I guess the extra cost (whether hub or dock) comes from extra display ports, increased power transfer, data transfer from usb ports etc.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Some of those can be a bit hit & miss, particularly when running 4K monitors as usb-c is a bit of a random factor. I'd just look on Amazon and buy the one which has all the ports you need.

Alternatively, Caldigit make great powered docks but they may be overkill for what you need.
Cheers,

Mike.