TV: no pic but sound works.

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

TV: no pic but sound works.

Post by Gavin »

Last night the tv screen was just black but we had sound. I was able to change sources but no pic on any.

I tried leaving it unplugged for 15 minutes but no joy.

As a last resort I left it unplugged overnight and magically all fin this morning.

I cannot find any explanation online as to what the fault might have been so no idea if that is the beginning of the end or the start of an intermittent fault or just a one off.

Anyone else had this experience please?

P.S. Of course it is in my hallway!
McSwede

Re: TV: no pic but sound works.

Post by McSwede »

Gavin wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:44 am Last night the tv screen was just black but we had sound. I was able to change sources but no pic on any.

I tried leaving it unplugged for 15 minutes but no joy.

As a last resort I left it unplugged overnight and magically all fin this morning.

I cannot find any explanation online as to what the fault might have been so no idea if that is the beginning of the end or the start of an intermittent fault or just a one off.

Anyone else had this experience please?

P.S. Of course it is in my hallway!
It's broken.

On the plus side we can have a new 'which TV" thread. Please provide details of room size, viewing angles, distance to screen and budget. We can all begin to recommend something thoroughly unsuitable. 😂
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Ha ha, I shall get the tape out!

I am happy to go and buy another TV and maybe go from 49 or 50 to 55 but as it now seems to be back to normal I cannot justify it as we have a new bathroom ordered, new internal doors and other house projects lined up for the new year, plus the Bongo will probably be on it's merry way so no point in a new one if it will last another while.

TBH my criteria, last night anyway, was what is available in 50" ish to take away please? Not the time to be stuck without a TV with kids now on holiday and the weather being a bit shit.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

You have tried a different HDMI lead haven’t you?
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:51 am You have tried a different HDMI lead haven’t you?
Even the menu bar wouldn't come up so wasn't a source issue. I did google quickly last night although I had already tried the unplug, hold power button, replug.

I am asking on FB now and the consensus seems to be this is likely to reoccur until it's ultimate demise.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Is it showing a backlight or is the panel totally off?

If it's got LED backlights, it's probably them or their driver - google the model and 'blank screen' and see if anyone has done a how-to guide.

They can be a pain in the arse to do sometimes though, so if you need to get a repair guy to look at it and they quote a large chunk of the value of the telly, just replace it. Timculator time!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, most TVs are pretty modular and actually pretty easy to replace if you can track down the problem.

When ours went wrong years ago I bought a complete telly of the same model, but had obviously been dropped or smashed the screen as it was just a box of all the modules / boards and swapped out the main board in about 10 mins and we’re still using it.

Most likely the backlight or driver or even just a ribbon cable. Like beany says, google your model for similar problems. A workmate has one side of an LG go dark, a local repair man knew the fault and fixed it For £60 which made it worth keeping to use in another room.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:22 pm ...made it worth keeping to use in another room.
Another hallway. We all have multiple hallways, right ?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:26 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:22 pm ...made it worth keeping to use in another room.
Another hallway. We all have multiple hallways, right ?
Personally I've added another large wing (extending the original east wing) made up of just hallways to hang TVs in.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Upsized by 5 inches which made the Mrs smile. (thank you the 70s)

Seems to be more or less the new version of what we had but with 4k whatever that does. I presume one requires a 4k source to see any difference?

Is Blue Ray 4k as I do now have an Xbox which plays DVDs etc.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Gavin wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:09 pm Upsized by 5 inches which made the Mrs smile. (thank you the 70s)

Seems to be more or less the new version of what we had but with 4k whatever that does. I presume one requires a 4k source to see any difference?

Is Blue Ray 4k as I do now have an Xbox which plays DVDs etc.
Depends on the source and how much better your new TV is. I've noticed a big difference in HD content on the new LG, but that's probably because its a newer screen with newer tech.

Blu Ray isn't 4K but does look pretty damn good on 4K screens. If you want 4K content, you want to be buying 4K Ultra-HD Blu Ray discs now. There's 4K content on Netflix, Apple TV etc which isn't going to look as good as the discs due to compression, but still looks a step-up from HD. Streamers seem to be upgrading HD content previously bought to the 4K versions for free which is good. All the Bond movies on iTunes for example are now in 4K.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Well, fucker. My wife turned on the telly in the living room (a nasty 42" LG one she had before we got together) and it briefly flashed the LG logo before the screen went black. Sound came through OK. Since I didn't like it I had already been looking at replacements around Black Friday, but the only place I could order from for delivery before Christmas was Amazon. Fortunately there was a guaranteed 24 December delivery for a 49" 4K Sony for £150 off.

She's now got my (much better) 42" Sony telly in the living room temporarily, and my study is missing its telly. She's moaning that it's not the same as her LG; no shit, it wasn't used for watching tv on ever, so I had never adjusted the colour settings for that input :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Which 49" Sony did you get? We have one in our lounge. Xh9505. Basically their best non oled TV in that size.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The one down from that - XH81. The only one deliverable before Christmas! I read all the reviews but I’m not really willing to pay more; it’s still going to be an upgrade from my current 42” Sony W705 from about 6 years ago.

The A9 OLED would be nice but £1700ish. I’m more willing to spend the extra for a decent phone screen because I use it more.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:27 pm...t’s still going to be an upgrade from my current 42” Sony W705 from about 6 years ago.
I think that's the most important thing to remember and often gets lost when you go down the rabbit hole of looking to replace a telly.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Well it’s due for delivery by 10pm - not yet out with the courier so if it doesn’t arrive today, I’ll be cancelling and getting one cheaper in the post-Christmas sales.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:21 am Well it’s due for delivery by 10pm - not yet out with the courier so if it doesn’t arrive today, I’ll be cancelling and getting one cheaper in the post-Christmas sales.
Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Still due by 10pm, still not even scanned onto the courier’s van 😂
Simon

Post by Simon »

Which courier? ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Sadly, my wife was able to trace it in more detail than I could, so she knew early today it wasn’t going to arrive 😄