Android head units?

Zonda_

Android head units?

Post by Zonda_ »

Anyone fitted one? Looking to put one in the Scirroco.
DeskJockey

Re: Android head units?

Post by DeskJockey »

I've thought about it several times, and as we know, it is the thought that counts.

But no experience with actual doing.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I looked at a few for the Evora, they all looked a bit shit. I think I'd stick with a standard head unit with Android Auto.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I put an Xtrons unit in the Mazda 3. It came with a custom harness that just plugged straight in and it looked factory. The UI was a little bit sluggish and there were a couple of rough edges but for £180 it was well worth it. Had GPS, Bluetooth, SD, USB and option for a reversing camera. All in all it was well worth it.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Matty wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:38 pm I looked at a few for the Evora, they all looked a bit shit. I think I'd stick with a standard head unit with Android Auto.
Odd, I'm looking at Sony, Kenwood and Pioneer and they all look great. I haven't seen any standard head units that have android auto.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:53 pm
Matty wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:38 pm I looked at a few for the Evora, they all looked a bit shit. I think I'd stick with a standard head unit with Android Auto.
Odd, I'm looking at Sony, Kenwood and Pioneer and they all look great. I haven't seen any standard head units that have android auto.
Oh, I think we're getting our wires crossed :lol: I thought you meant those glorified Android tablets you can fit to the car, many coming from the far east.

Kenwood were always my go-to:
https://www.halfords.com/technology/car ... 55917.html
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Matty wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:03 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:53 pm
Oh, I think we're getting our wires crossed :lol: I thought you meant those glorified Android tablets you can fit to the car, many coming from the far east.

Kenwood were always my go-to:
https://www.halfords.com/technology/car ... 55917.html
That's one of the ones I'm looking at.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I have a CarPlay/android one in the Defender but didn’t fit it myself. It’s excellent and the built in GPS is good but I only use Waze and Spotify now.
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:12 pm I have a CarPlay/android one in the Defender but didn’t fit it myself. It’s excellent and the built in GPS is good but I only use Waze and Spotify now.
I'm looking at using both of them but with the benefit of the large screen and being able to operate them easily. I fing Spotify and nav too much of a struggle on the phone.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Only slight niggle with mine is that for CarPlay/Android I have to physically connect a cable to my phone but its 2.5 years old. I believe some newer systems are fully wireless but it's only for short trips where I'm too lazy to plug my phone in.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:52 pm Only slight niggle with mine is that for CarPlay/Android I have to physically connect a cable to my phone but its 2.5 years old. I believe some newer systems are fully wireless but it's only for short trips where I'm too lazy to plug my phone in.
I’ve yet to find a wireless one, what model is yours?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mine is plug in, I'm happy with that as there's no issue Bluetooth pairing or swapping between my own and work phones (even on the go when the other phone rings). Plus it charges it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:16 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:52 pm Only slight niggle with mine is that for CarPlay/Android I have to physically connect a cable to my phone but its 2.5 years old. I believe some newer systems are fully wireless but it's only for short trips where I'm too lazy to plug my phone in.
I’ve yet to find a wireless one, what model is yours?
It’s a Pioneer AVIC but I’m not sure which one exactly!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I was looking recently for a CarPlay unit for the Boxster and there's not a massive amount of wireless ones out there yet. There are a few aftermarket boxes which make it wireless, but tbh, I just got a really short usb-lightning cable so the phone sites in the cubby hole by the gearstick and you don't notice it. It also obviously charges the phone which is a bonus. Once you've had a head unit like that its a pain (1st world problem) to get in a car which doesn't have it as it all works so well - the big screen for nav, the voice control for texts, having all your music & podcasts there etc.
Cheers,

Mike.