Lab grown meat

ZedLeg

Lab grown meat

Post by ZedLeg »

I've been following this research for a while as it's interesting to me both as someone who's concerned about the environmental impact of large scale farming and doesn't eat meat.

Singapore has just approved the sale of lab grown chicken.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... first-time

It's always an interesting discussion between people who don't eat meat as to whether they would eat lab grown.

Just curious about what other people think about it, would you eat it?
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Re: Lab grown meat

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

No.

But then I'm a strong advocate of significantly reducing our meat intake as humans. There's simply no need for us to consume what we do for our dietary requirements. Sort that and there's no need for lab grown meat or fvcking insect burgers.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah I agree with that but we're a long way from that just in this country, let alone globally.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Funnily enough I asked my missus this the other day as she's vegan. She said she wouldn't eat it, she doesn't like the idea of eating "flesh" even if it's been grown in a lab rather than taken off an animal carcass.

I'm less fussed, but I prefer to consume products that are relatively tried and tested, so will be giving this a wide berth for quite some time. Also @Swervin_Mervin is correct in terms of reducing meat consumption, I agree with that too. Dave the bear to arrive and disagree in 3... 2... 1...
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think I would give it a go tbh. I've not eaten any animal products for a couple of years but I think curiosity would get the better of me.

Also my choice to avoid animal products was more ideological than any dislike of meat, I always liked a steak tbh :lol:.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Fascinating.

Although it just made me think of this.....

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I have to say that the idea of lab-grown "meat" turns my stomach although I guess its inevitably going to be something which becomes ever more prevalent.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:34 am Yeah I agree with that but we're a long way from that just in this country, let alone globally.
Oh totally. But there's very little open talking about reduced meat consumption. Most programmes on TV about this issue tend to focus on this side of things - let's find the sticking plaster rather than change our ways. The sad fact is it's tied into so many other dietary and lifestyle related spin off issues, but we just don't seem willing to address matters head on.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:16 pm I have to say that the idea of lab-grown "meat" turns my stomach although I guess its inevitably going to be something which becomes ever more prevalent.
I think a lot of people have the same reaction but functionally there's no difference between growing tissue in a lab environment and growing it as part of a living organism.

The main thing is that growing in a lab is much less intensive on natural resources.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

"The growth medium for the Singapore production line includes foetal bovine serum, which is extracted from foetal blood, but this is largely removed before consumption"

Yum!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Some of the most prized foods in the world are made by processing animals in ways that would turn a lot of people's stomachs ;)
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

GG. wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:34 pm "The growth medium for the Singapore production line includes foetal bovine serum, which is extracted from foetal blood, but this is largely removed before consumption"

Yum!
So it's not even "vegetarian". How are you supposed to torment vegetarians with the ethical dilemma of whether they should try it now?!
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:40 pm Some of the most prized foods in the world
Cheese Hamwich and Spam.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s not really vegetarian or vegan or cruelty free is it? We may end up in an even more fucked up future where animals are kept in labs solely to have chunks taken out of them in biopsies and fluids drained to support lab grown food.

How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:46 pm It’s not really vegetarian or vegan or cruelty free is it? We may end up in an even more fucked up future where animals are kept in labs solely to have chunks taken out of them in biopsies and fluids drained to support lab grown food.
You like a scary what if don't you? Have you ever thought about starting a tin foil hat youtube channel.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Someone grew some from human cells for an exhibition apparently. Maybe that will catch on! Might create a debate for the vegans if you could grow it from yourself. :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:46 pm It’s not really vegetarian or vegan or cruelty free is it? We may end up in an even more fucked up future where animals are kept in labs solely to have chunks taken out of them in biopsies and fluids drained to support lab grown food.
You like a scary what if don't you? Have you ever thought about starting a tin foil hat youtube channel.
Already happening (not for growing lab meat). Look at the bear built harvesting for a start.

I'd try it. We don't eat much meat, once or twice a week on average, if we can further reduce the environmental impact I would give it a go. But it would have to feel and taste like meat, otherwise I'd rather do without.

We decided on the basis that lunch meats generally didn't add much to the meal but tend to be high in salt, and we cut overall consumption and instead buy higher welfare, locally sourced products.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah I realise it happens now but it's largely condemned and in decline.

The picture Mito used is from people harvesting horseshoe crab blood for the pharmaceutical industry. The industry is moving away from it now as they can synthesise the enzyme they need from it. I expect that as lab grown meat becomes more mainstream there will be a move towards something similar rather than relying on a byproduct of the animal farming industry.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:28 pm
Ascender wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:16 pm I have to say that the idea of lab-grown "meat" turns my stomach although I guess its inevitably going to be something which becomes ever more prevalent.
I think a lot of people have the same reaction but functionally there's no difference between growing tissue in a lab environment and growing it as part of a living organism.

The main thing is that growing in a lab is much less intensive on natural resources.
We try to buy our meat from local farmers, but apart from the reduced carbon footprint, I'm not sure how much more sustainable that is compared to the massive meat farming that goes on in some countries.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Much more, buying locally sourced meat from a decent farmer is an entirely different scenario to what happens in large scale farming. If you're going to eat meat it's the best way to do it.

It's not viable for everyone though obviously.
An absolute unit