Lab grown meat

dinny_g

Re: Lab grown meat

Post by dinny_g »

It's an oft quoted about Electric Vehicles - "If the world stopped using fossil fuels overnight, there isn't the electrical production capacity to meet demand"

How true is this of the food chain?

Can the food production channels ramp up capacity in suitably quick time to keep up with the demand if large portions of the worlds carnivores decided to move to a plant based diet ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

A lot of the structure is already there, We grow huge amounts of crops for animal feed. around 35% percent of the worldwide grain crop goes to feeding livestock.

This land could be used to grow food for people instead.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

That, and the whole "if we stopped doing X now how would we survive using Y" argument has always been fallacious, as no-one ever stops doing X now.

X slowly declines, and Y ramps up.

See cars/horses, gaslights and electricity etc, or literally any technical improvement in life and lifestyle.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I'm sure I once read that we already produce more grain than would be required to sustain every single person on the planet, even if we ate nothing else.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:37 pm I'm sure I once read that we already produce more grain than would be required to sustain every single person on the planet, even if we ate nothing else.
Its all those fussy fuckers who insist on eating stuff other than grain. Wankers.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:48 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:37 pm I'm sure I once read that we already produce more grain than would be required to sustain every single person on the planet, even if we ate nothing else.
Its all those fussy fuckers who insist on eating stuff other than grain. Wankers.
:lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s probably because half of the grain goes towards making animal feed and biofuels.

Sticking the country on rice and beans like in I’m a celebrity for a few years would do good for most involved though.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've no particular issue in re-constituting protein from other sources - insects etc. - into consumable packets of food with the flavours and textures of other foods.

But fully synthesized lab grown mead is all a but Soylent Green for my liking (although Soylent Green did use 100% Natural Ingredients and was very kind to the environmenet) :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You don't care where you get your protein as long as something dies for it ;)
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:03 am I've no particular issue in re-constituting protein from other sources - insects etc. - into consumable packets of food with the flavours and textures of other foods.

But fully synthesized lab grown mead is all a but Soylent Green for my liking (although Soylent Green did use 100% Natural Ingredients and was very kind to the environmenet) :lol:
I'd prbably give lab grown mead a go tbf - I'll drink anything at least once ;)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:05 am You don't care where you get your protein as long as something dies for it ;)
No I have no ethical issue with eating meat by usual carnivore conventions. Beef Good, Dog Not Good etc.

However I am fully conscious of the wider Environmental impacts of farming sufficient quantities of meat to achieve the demand so it there was a less impactful yet still enjoyable way of delivering that protein then I’m all for it.

I’ve tried various insects on their raw form and can’t say I’m a fan
Beany

Post by Beany »

My view is that if I can still get tasty meaty bits, and it involves significantly less harm to animals (because farming in general is a bit of a rough trade) then I'm all for it.