Smart lighting

Simon

Smart lighting

Post by Simon »

We've bought a new lamp for the lounge, and for reasons that are too boring for even nerds, we're getting a smart lightbulb for it (Philips Hue).

However, it's started me looking at all the other bulbs and switches in the house and wondering about 'smarterizing' them too.

The question is which route to take. Do I swap out the switches for smart units like, for example, LightwaveRF, or do I do it from the bulbs only like Philips Hue or similar.

Does anyone have any experience of the pitfalls of either method? I'm fairly clued up on the limitations of both methods, but if anyone has any real world experience of either I'd love to hear it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Re: Smart lighting

Post by DeskJockey »

ISTR @tim has Hue.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

We've just got some bulbs that are accessed through Smart Life app or Alexa.
- automatically turn the porch light on at sunset and off at 10:45pm
- lets the kids ask Alexa to turn their lights on or off, which is as much annoying (when 'she' doesn't; recognise your voice) as it is fun or useful.

Haven't bothered with the main living areas as there are too many bulbs and it's as easy to press switches.
Left over crest; tightens.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My family all seem obsessed with Alexa and stuff controlling lights, cue demonstrations:

"Alexa, turn on lights."
"Oh, didn't work, ALexa, turn on lights."
"ALEXA, turn ON lights!"
"ALEXa, turn off random fart noise song"
"ALEXA, TURN ON LIGHTS"

Etc....
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

If you don't want a hub and just adding a couple.have a look at Lifx.

I use one in the living room lamp to come on just before we get up on school days or use as a security light when we are away. No hub needed and you control it either through the phone app, harmony telly remote or through google assistant. It obviously works on alexa/ios etc.

We've had that one a few years and had no issues with it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

JonMad wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 am We've just got some bulbs that are accessed through Smart Life app or Alexa.
- automatically turn the porch light on at sunset and off at 10:45pm
- lets the kids ask Alexa to turn their lights on or off, which is as much annoying (when 'she' doesn't; recognise your voice) as it is fun or useful.

Haven't bothered with the main living areas as there are too many bulbs and it's as easy to press switches.
Same here, originally only used Smart Life for security at my parents place but it’s so good that I’ve stuck it on a few lights at home.
How about not having a sig at all?
tim

Post by tim »

My entire house is HUE'd up. They work very well, no issues at all.

I replaced all the switches too.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

The issue with any of this kit, once you get past the point of a handful of lights, is longevity.

Once you've spent £££ on something, to find that they're switching off support for it tomorrow, you're not going to be happy, so go in with your eyes open.

One of my businesses is designing and installing building management systems, which obviously includes lighting. 90% of what we do uses KNX, because it is a protocol rather than a product, over 600 manufacturers support it, and it has been going for thirty years. We also do Lutron and Crestron lighting when called upon.
Given that you're not looking to spend thousands re-wiring your home, this might not seem relevant, but it is just to say that I've done well out of clients who have to throw away a kit installed by others that is a few years old because you can no longer service it.

I've tried loads of the consumer kit, and was briefly a dealer for Lightwave. My flat is a mash up of KNX, Lightwave and Hue, which it shouldn't be, but you do the paying customer work before your own, don't you!

I'm surprised Lightwave has lasted so long. The product is good as long as you work to their limitations, and accept that they go through periods of not providing updates. At one point their app didn't work properly on iOS for about 18 months, so you had to use a third party one which was unstable. There's been a couple of occasions that I've though they have stopped trading, only to become visible again six months later.

By limitations I mean minimum loads - connect some fairy lights up and they might never completely switch off, because some residual current can pass through the lightwave dimmer switch.

Hue seems to have the most investment, and have connectivity with KNX kit, which is why I've got them in areas that I've not re-wired.
Their app and timing functionality is good, but the lights can go offline on some installations and you need to power cycle them to fix. The quality of light and their colour doesn't suit every application.
I like that the main KNX providers, such as Jung and GIRA, offer 'Friends of Hue' light switches, so that I can match them up with my non-Hue rooms.

Voice control is still a waste of time for most people. Pressing a button or having timers set is the least infuriating way of controlling lights.

I'd go with Hue, but if you're going to be doing building work and don't mind the extra spend then KNX every time.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We've started to get some Hue lights in the house. There's a small bridge device which is plugged-in to a switch in the loft and they integrate with Homekit and we have some motion sensors. With Apple devices in most rooms its straightforward to ask for the light to be turned-on/off if there's no motion sensor and programme different behaviours. Siri gets a rough ride (rightly so in some areas), but is really quick and reliable to turn stuff off & on.

In the Home app now there's all the lights, the alarm system and heating which can all be controlled from any device when in or outside of the house.

We went with Hue as its well established and supported, but haven't scratched the surface of what could be automated yet or what else could be added-in.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I've got these cool little boxes on the wall that I press when I go into a room to make the lights go on, and press again when I leave and they turn off. It's proper smart.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:15 am I've got these cool little boxes on the wall that I press when I go into a room to make the lights go on, and press again when I leave and they turn off. It's proper smart.
Pushing buttons with your actual fingers? Like some sort of animal?
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:17 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:15 am I've got these cool little boxes on the wall that I press when I go into a room to make the lights go on, and press again when I leave and they turn off. It's proper smart.
I know! They've always just worked, and I've never even found out how to update their firmware!
tim

Post by tim »

Yeah ok smartass! I agree it's a bit daft talking to your lights to turn them on/off in individual rooms, but I have various scenes setup for the whole house which is quite useful if I'm going out, or going to bed and the kids are here so one or two lights I want left on but dim.

I can just say "hey Siri goodnight" as I'm heading up and the whole house is how I want it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Carlos wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:21 am If you don't want a hub and just adding a couple.have a look at Lifx.
It looks like you can control up to 10 Hue lights without a bridge, as the newer models also have bluetooth.
Mito Man wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:26 am
Same here, originally only used Smart Life for security at my parents place but it’s so good that I’ve stuck it on a few lights at home.
We use Smart Life too for a couple of smart plugs into which the Christmas tree and electric recliner sofas plug in. It works well and is integrated into Google Assistant (on my Pixel phone and the TV).
tim wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:37 am My entire house is HUE'd up. They work very well, no issues at all.

I replaced all the switches too.
Switches? What brand?

The white ambience bulb we're getting also comes with a bluetooth 'switch' that I'm gonna stick on the wall near the lamp as I'm sure my Mrs won't want to use her phone to switch it all the time. You can also get covers for these that allow you to mount and screw then over your normal light switch like these.
Jimexpl wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:53 am The issue with any of this kit, once you get past the point of a handful of lights, is longevity.

Once you've spent £££ on something, to find that they're switching off support for it tomorrow, you're not going to be happy, so go in with your eyes open.

<snip>

I'd go with Hue, but if you're going to be doing building work and don't mind the extra spend then KNX every time.
All really useful information. Thank you, I'm grateful.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I did wonder about the bluetooth switches, but in the end we've either gone for motion sensors or there's a smart speaker in the room. Alternatively, you just flick the light switch off & on.
Cheers,

Mike.
tim

Post by tim »

The Hue ones

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:17 am
I know! They've always just worked, and I've never even found out how to update their firmware!
I can't ever imagine a time, in any house I've lived in, where there was so little else to think/worry about that I needed to be able to talk to my lights. :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

They look pretty cool, and don't look like much money if you do it gradually. Whether I ever actually would be able to justify it on the other hand, who knows, not right now. Maybe the living room as a treat. :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I have Philips Hue stuff throughout the house and it's brilliant. I even bought 2 1000lumen IKEA bulbs that I've added to the Hue network (ZigBee). We've a mixture of white ambience and colour change.

White ambience is great as you can do some human centric lighting (tuneable white) and change colour temp depending upon time of day and what you're doing. Daughter loves the colour change in her bedroom too.

Controlling by voice or from the app is just so much easier and using the schedule to set things up for the house is great.

Can't recommend it highly enough!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I like the look of their garden lights.