Smart lighting

Mito Man

Re: Smart lighting

Post by Mito Man »

I remember when LEDs for home lighting were a new thing and the fad was for bright white / cool white ones. Fucking atrocious at night and made the home feel like an office block. Binned the ones in my flat for warm white immediately.
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: โ†‘Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:35 pm I remember when LEDs for home lighting were a new thing and the fad was for bright white / cool white ones. Fucking atrocious at night and made the home feel like an office block. Binned the ones in my flat for warm white immediately.
Cool white sucks!

I like daylight white most of the time and then a warmer white of an evening.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

The single most useful Hue feature for me is the geofencing. I don't have to worry about lights being left on and it's very useful having my porch light automatically turn on when I approach the house.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

We have plenty of Hue, mostly for grouping together lights (open plan bit downstairs has 5 different light circuits) and for timers. Porch dims when it's late, switches off in the morning. Kids reading lights dim to almost nothing if they leave them on. If we're away, most of the house is on "people are here" timers, handily you can have a degree of randomness so it's not always coming on at the same time.

Picked up some switch covers that hold the hue remote, can get to the switches behind if you need but can't switch the wrong thing by accident.

Don't really do colours, mostly we've used the cheaper white bulbs and a few of the Ikea compatibles.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I got 60% off all my Hue stuff too ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Simon

Post by Simon »

McSwede wrote: โ†‘Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:55 pm I got 60% off all my Hue stuff too ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
???
The artist formerly known as _Who_
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: โ†‘Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:06 pm
McSwede wrote: โ†‘Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:55 pm I got 60% off all my Hue stuff too ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
???
A mate works for Philips and had a F&F discount code when I needed it.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Just ordered some more Philips Hue stuff today.

A 2m outdoor lightstrip (colour/white amb) and an outdoor sensor for the front porch and a B22 white ambiance bulb with dimmer switch for my office. All for ยฃ64. Happy days!!

It really is superb kit!!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Finally got around to fitting the LED strip and wireless PIR today above the entrance vestibule ๐Ÿ˜‚
The PIR is excellent with a huge range and can easily be fine tuned on both detection range and photocell sensitivity. How it behaves at different times of the night are easily set up too.

The tape looks like neon and has excellent light output and colour rendering. It looks bloody great and when it's off, you wouldn't even notice it was there.

As previous experiences have proven, it's awesome stuff. Super easy to set up, program and schedule. Quality is excellent as always (and it should be for the RRP).and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/hue ... 8699709914

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/hue ... 8699625474