OBD Reader Recommendations

DeskJockey

OBD Reader Recommendations

Post by DeskJockey »

Want to get one for the Galaxy. Searching t'internet gives a million options, so thought I'd ask the forum brain.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Re: OBD Reader Recommendations

Post by mik »

WiFi (as opposed to Bluetooth) OBD plug like this one - this isn’t the same as mine and others are availables.

Torque app or I use the “Car Scanner ELM OBD2” app. Both allow you to connect and watch various things real-time, and save historical logs you can look back on. Change display and gauge types. Scan and clear codes.

The latter one costs £4-6 (you choose what you want to pay) and has huge functionality.
Last edited by mik on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

I bought a cable and used FORScan. ELM Cable in draw somewhere..

Worked a treat on my mk3 focus.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

In my experience the cheap ones for a tenner do the basic stuff just as well as the more expensive £40-50 ones, so just get one of those.

If you want something a bit more fancy for more awkward cars then you need £100+ for a multiplexing unit.
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Shlergen wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:43 pm I bought a cable and used FORScan. ELM Cable in draw somewhere..

Which cable did you get? Forscan recommended one is £70, which seems a lot.
---
Simon

Post by Simon »

[mention]Beany[/mention] has an old one he may not need anymore I think?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:22 pm @Beany has an old one he may not need anymore I think?
Gave that one away with the car, sadly.

You want one with an MSCAN switch on it to access the extra stuff. I can't find one to hand tonight on the old internets, I'll go through my purchase history tomorrow and see if I can hunt down what I bought.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:37 pm
Shlergen wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:43 pm I bought a cable and used FORScan. ELM Cable in draw somewhere..

It's in draw I believe. You can have it for postage if I can find it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Shlergen wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:44 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:37 pm

It's in draw I believe. You can have it for postage if I can find it.
Yes please. Let me know if you can find it.
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I bought an Autophix OBD reader for £32.49 a year or so ago in an Amazon lightning deal. Since Amazon links don't seem to work on here, it's:
"AUTOPHIX OBD2 Reader, OM126P Universal OBD2 Scanner Car Diagnostic Scanner Check Engine Light Scan Tool OBD 2 Vehicle Fault Code Reader for Auto Emission Test OBDII/EOBD"

That looks expensive compared to using a dongle and an app on your phone but I quite like the fact that it's self-contained.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

mik wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:22 pm WiFi (as opposed to Bluetooth) OBD plug like this one - this isn’t the same as mine and others are availables.

Torque app or I use the “Car Scanner ELM OBD2” app. Both allow you to connect and watch various things real-time, and save historical logs you can look back on. Change display and gauge types. Scan and clear codes.

The latter one costs £4-6 (you choose what you want to pay) and has huge functionality.
For android use the Bluetooth, iOS the wifi.

My mate was impressed enough by Torque and TorquePro that he ordered a dongle or 2 to keep at home and in his bag so he can always plug in if he needs to. He has a proper Snap-On one at his garage.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Some of those BlueTooth ones can be a bit flaky, though. I tried one on a 2002 Honda Accord and whilst it did read the codes, the dash stopped working until I disconnected and re-connected the battery. I had an Ancel one for the Mazda which worked really well - diagnosed and cleared several fault codes all related to a leaky intake hose. Sadly, I no longer have it. I think it was around £50.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Delphi wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:59 pm Some of those BlueTooth ones can be a bit flaky, though. I tried one on a 2002 Honda Accord and whilst it did read the codes, the dash stopped working until I disconnected and re-connected the battery. I had an Ancel one for the Mazda which worked really well - diagnosed and cleared several fault codes all related to a leaky intake hose. Sadly, I no longer have it. I think it was around £50.
When this sort of thing happens it's generally down to incomplete OBD2 implementation. L200's up to 2005 are known for this and need special dianostic tools. Although i'd expect a 2002 Accord to have been OK.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Delphi wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:59 pm Some of those BlueTooth ones can be a bit flaky, though.
This. I bought one for my 330i and it never worked. Worked fine for our F20 125i though. Used the Creator 110+ cable reader in the end.