Pixel 5

Carlos

Re: Pixel 5

Post by Carlos »

Simon wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:40 pm I've a 3a XL too. How have you broken the screen 3 times? Have you had it in your back pocket and sat on it???
Only wearing shorts for the last 7 months has meant it falling out of my pocket a few time when getting in or out of the car or when sitting down. It has a Google carpet type case but its simply not very tough :(
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:24 pm I had a few MNML cases for my OG Pixel XL. The problem I found is that they stretch over time, allowing a gap for crud to get in and around the back.
I tend to go for Spigen. Great cases IMO
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

McSwede wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:26 pm
Simon wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:24 pm I had a few MNML cases for my OG Pixel XL. The problem I found is that they stretch over time, allowing a gap for crud to get in and around the back.
I tend to go for Spigen. Great cases IMO
+1
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ditto. Had Spigen after the MNML on my last phone. They're not all out for the Pixel 5 yet tho.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

My Pixel 5 just arrived.

Initial impressions are very positive.

Kind of the phone I've been wanting for the last couple of years...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DaveE wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:03 pm My Pixel 5 just arrived.

Let me guess - black, rectangular, runs apps, has a camera.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm

You're such a grumpkin Rich B 😂. Run out of puppies to kick 😜
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:00 pm

theres so little actual new features in new phones, I'm struggling to understand how anyone could get excited about a new one at the moment! The only recent thing that is of even the mildest interest is the Lidar stuff.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

I’m with Rich.

A decent camera, a decent screen, good battery life, reasonably quick, what else is there?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It's a compliment to them really, they've all made such amazing products, but they've all ended up at the Exact same end product. it will Now take something bloody spectacular to move things on beyond "a better camera and longer lasting battery".
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

It's actually a light green rectangle 😉
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:37 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm Let me guess - black, rectangular, runs apps, has a camera.
theres so little actual new features in new phones, I'm struggling to understand how anyone could get excited about a new one at the moment! The only recent thing that is of even the mildest interest is the Lidar stuff.
Oh, I get that and that's why I kept my Note 4 for so long and same reason I'm staying on the Pixel 2 XL until something significantly better comes along. Mind you the price of flagship phones now is getting silly.
Simon

Post by Simon »

So [mention]DaveE[/mention] and anyone else who has one. Have you applied for your Bose headphones yet?

Cause in the T&C's I've seen some contradictory instructions. On the one side it says 'wait 14 days from when you order' before claiming. Elsewhere it says 'wait 14 days from when you receive' before claiming. I'm beyond the first measure, but of course only received it yesterday so some time off that measure. Which is right?

I've mailed them to ask but haven't heard back yet.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Oh, I get that and that's why I kept my Note 4 for so long and same reason I'm staying on the Pixel 2 XL until something significantly better comes along. Mind you the price of flagship phones now is getting silly.
To give them their credit, I bought my iPhone X when it first came out (nov 2017?) for over a grand, and it's basically as good now as it was then. Compared to my 6S which was fucked after a year or so of the same use. For me they've done themselves out of another purchase by making the flagship models too well!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m still on a 6s and it’s fine. Don’t think I’ve actually been excited / looking forward to a phone since the iPhone 4 :lol:
Cheers, Harry
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Simon wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:51 pm So @DaveE and anyone else who has one. Have you applied for your Bose headphones yet?

Cause in the T&C's I've seen some contradictory instructions. On the one side it says 'wait 14 days from when you order' before claiming. Elsewhere it says 'wait 14 days from when you receive' before claiming. I'm beyond the first measure, but of course only received it yesterday so some time off that measure. Which is right?

I've mailed them to ask but haven't heard back yet.
Hi [mention]Simon[/mention] yeah, I applied this morning. Seems to have been pretty straight forward although the wording (at first glance) was a little confusing.

I think what they meant was that you can only apply between 14 and 45 days after placing your order.

As I ordered mine on 2nd Oct, that's why I did it this morning.

The web site said that my claim had been "accepted" (not sure if that means "received" or "has already been validated" though) - I should get confirmation/next steps by email in 2 working days.

Fingers crossed...
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm Let me guess - black, rectangular, runs apps, has a camera.
I quite like phones and like swapping and changing quite a lot (I bought a "as new" iPhone X a couple of months ago to have a play with).

My previous phone was a Pixel 3, so the 5 is an upgrade in a number of substantial ways:
- "bezel-less" 6" 90Hz display vs 5.7" and big top & bottom bezels
- 2x cameras (inc. wide angle) vs single lens camera
- much bigger battery

I used my phone all day and take loads of photos, so these features are really useful upgrades to me.

Horses for courses though - some people (like me) keep their cars for years as they're not compelled to upgrade/change as frequently as others. You're like that your phone - it's good enough for you and you don't feel the itch to upgrade/change.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

My 3 year old phone has 2 cameras and a great screen.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

[mention]Simon[/mention]

BTW, when you register for the headphones, they'll send you a text with your claim number (000-000-000)

That's the only confirmation you'll get though, so make sure your mobile number is right, and don't lose it (you don't get an email with it)
Simon

Post by Simon »

[mention]DaveE[/mention] Thanks for the tip.

Have you heard more yet? Will sort mine when I finish up work.