Pixel 5

Shlergen

Re: Pixel 5

Post by Shlergen »

I bought a Oneplus Nord. Very happy with it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ooh same chip. How do you find the camera? (Don't say it's right there on the back)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

I came from an iPhone 7 and it’s definitely improved. There was some criticism of the macro which I haven’t used yet but there’s been updates since.

Won’t be rushing back to iOS
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Alex_ wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:07 pm Fair enough. Never really been a big fan of large over the head earphones. Might give the the buds a try.
I've just got some Creative Outlier Air earbuds and they're brill. Really comfy and sound great. Battery life pretty epic too. Recommended!!
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

McSwede wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:33 pm
Alex_ wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:07 pm Fair enough. Never really been a big fan of large over the head earphones. Might give the the buds a try.
I've just got some Creative Outlier Air earbuds and they're brill. Really comfy and sound great. Battery life pretty epic too. Recommended!!
Ta, I'll have a look into it.
M235i
Beany

Post by Beany »

Had a look at the upgrade options I'm entitled to for around £30-£35/month and I'm rather disappointed. Used to be a good price point, that.

Might fuck it off to a SIM only plan and then get a used Pixel 4 or similar.
Simon

Post by Simon »

FWIW Last year on Black Friday (can you still say that?) I got my wife such a killer deal. iPhone 11, 60GB a month of data, £30 up front, £30 a month. Never seen a deal so good since.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I got a dispatch email this morning, with tracking info. It's arriving tomorrow, via DPD (praise the lord!).

A bit excited.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Simon wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:46 pm I got a dispatch email this morning, with tracking info. It's arriving tomorrow, via DPD (praise the lord!).

A bit excited.
Nice!

I couldn't order the green one from Google directly as they were sold out.

I have one on order from Amazon though, fingers crossed I get one (it should arrive Thursday if so).

I've not looked forward to a phone as much in a long time either...
Simon

Post by Simon »

I went for black, because I'm boring. The case is blue though.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Does it do anything the last one doesn't?
Last edited by Rich B on Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Well I didn't have a 4, but a 3a XL. Yes, ultra wide camera, biggest battery in any Pixel, 5G, fingerprint reader is back, etc etc. It's not a high end device anymore. Think 'upper mid range'.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I'm not sure where this "not high end" has come from?

Is it simply because it has less than top of the range processor?

In just about every other way, it seems to match 'high end' phones?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yes - The 765G is very decent and most people won't notice the difference unless they're playing the most intensive games.

For normal people they won't see a blind bit of difference in performance.

Interesting the 765G includes the 5G modem, whereas if they're gone 865 or even 865+ they'd have had to used an additional 5G modem chip.

Apart from that it's 8GB RAM, 128GB storage, 90Hz HDR10+ screen, pretty much edge to edge display, etc etc.

There is some criticism to be levelled at the choice of main camera sensor, which is a little old now, but Pixels usually produce photos quality with the best of them. There is such little incremental improvement in newer sensors, apparently, it's arguably not worth the extra cost.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. I've had a 3a XL for 6 months or so but cracked the screen 3 times now, its clearly not as robust as the other Pixel/Nexus phones I've had the last few years. That'll be on ebay the next time I get it repaired.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I've a 3a XL too. How have you broken the screen 3 times? Have you had it in your back pocket and sat on it???
Simon

Post by Simon »

Well it's here. Initial impressions are strong. Well built and light in the hand. Nice screen. Quality feel.

Have only had it 15 minutes and have lots of meetings today, so need to set it up and transfer stuff but not sure when I'll have time.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:13 am Well it's here. Initial impressions are strong. Well built and light in the hand. Nice screen. Quality feel.

Have only had it 15 minutes and have lots of meetings today, so need to set it up and transfer stuff but not sure when I'll have time.
[subscribed]
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Just had a dispatch notice from Amazon :)

Simply Sage version should arrive tomorrow...

I think I'll get another MNML case for the 5 (I've had one on my 3 for a while now) - I really like how, err, minimal they are. (I hate bulky cases)

https://mnmlcase.com/products/pixel-5-m ... 5501361231
Simon

Post by Simon »

I had a few MNML cases for my OG Pixel XL. The problem I found is that they stretch over time, allowing a gap for crud to get in and around the back.