Pixel 5

Alex88

Re: Pixel 5

Post by Alex88 »

Beany wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:48 pm Had a look at the upgrade options I'm entitled to for around £30-£35/month and I'm rather disappointed. Used to be a good price point, that.

Might fuck it off to a SIM only plan and then get a used Pixel 4 or similar.
I was paying £40 or so, and back in 2018 that got me an S8+ which I loved. Unfortunately it broke.

Went to see what my £40 per month would get me in early 2020, and wasn't the equivalent S8+, that's for sure. Looked at buying a handset outright and the upper-mid range seemed to be the sweet spot, and also hugely popular, especially if Apple had reduced themselves to making affordable iPhones.

As I'm not paying over £40 a month for a phone/contract or £1000+ outright, upper-mid it was. bought a OnePlus 7 Pro instead for £530 odd from John Lewis. Beautiful notch free display, 90hz, 855 processor, novelty pop-up camera, great speakers, in-display fingerprint scanner, excellent ultra-wide camera, and I'll never, ever buy a 60hz phone again. The difference is so obvious to me. Pay £10 a month SIM free.

Not read much about the Pixel 5 but it didn't seem that Google made a song and dance about this device, did they? I'm sure it'll be good though - Pixel owners always appear very fond of their devices.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Simon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:45 pm @DaveE Thanks for the tip.

Have you heard more yet? Will sort mine when I finish up work.
Not expecting to hear anything until that 2 working days has elapsed...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Has any one tried transferring thousands of photos from iPhone to an android and if so does it maintain the geotag info?

That’s probably all that’s got me tied into iPhones nowadays, I’ve got 9 years worth of photos and they’re all tagged with the location which is nice for foreign places.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Google replied just saying this

"
Good afternoon.

Thank you for your email.

To take part in the Promotion, Participants must submit a claim for the Reward from 14 to 45 days after the purchase of the Qualifying Product.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
"

Which doesn't really answer the question does it?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Simon

Post by Simon »

OK well I've submitted my claim and it's at 'claim received' so we'll see how things go from here.

Interestingly, if you look at the settings there's a new open (over my 3a) in the Display settings --> Advanced, called 'screen attention', where it won't let your phone go to sleep if you're looking at it. It uses the front camera to watch your eyes. Useful if you're reading something and you haven't touched the screen in 30 seconds or so.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:46 pm OK well I've submitted my claim and it's at 'claim received' so we'll see how things go from here.

Interestingly, if you look at the settings there's a new open (over my 3a) in the Display settings --> Advanced, called 'screen attention', where it won't let your phone go to sleep if you're looking at it. It uses the front camera to watch your eyes. Useful if you're reading something and you haven't touched the screen in 30 seconds or so.
My phones all are set to always on. I hate when it locks. I can do that myself. 👍
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:02 pm Has any one tried transferring thousands of photos from iPhone to an android and if so does it maintain the geotag info?

That’s probably all that’s got me tied into iPhones nowadays, I’ve got 9 years worth of photos and they’re all tagged with the location which is nice for foreign places.
Google Photos app?

Free, unlimited storage for photos up to 16 megapixels and videos up to 1080p resolution with a fantastically clever searching function.

OS agnostic.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Not heard anything yet about these headphones BTW

It's been over 2x working days now (even in the US)

I wonder if you get a 'sorry' if you don't get any, or just don't hear anything...?
Simon

Post by Simon »

DaveE wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:54 pm Not heard anything yet about these headphones BTW

I wonder if you get a 'sorry' if you don't get any, or just don't hear anything...?
You said yours has been 'accepted' on the last page, but mine is still on 'claim received' on the tracking page... Despite doing the claim on Friday night and it now being just about end of Wednesday, even on west coast USA.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:55 pm
DaveE wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:54 pm Not heard anything yet about these headphones BTW

You said yours has been 'accepted' on the last page, but mine is still on 'claim received' on the tracking page... Despite doing the claim on Friday night and it now being just about end of Wednesday, even on west coast USA.
Yeah, think that's what it said when I first applied. It's not changed since (from "claim received") since then...
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Just received a text and email confirming that my claim has been "validated" and the headphones should be dispatched in the next 14 days.

The web page where you can check your claim progress has also updated to show "validated" and the same messaging about the headphones being dispatched soon.

Very happy.

(A nice bonus is that it's the QC35s mk 2 - I wasn't aware of it was the later or earlier model)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Great stuff. I guess I'll be 2 days behind you.

PS - mine are either going on the 'bay or to the wife, and I'll use the proceeds to pick up some Sony XM4's.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Simon wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:15 pm Great stuff. I guess I'll be 2 days behind you.

PS - mine are either going on the 'bay or to the wife, and I'll use the proceeds to pick up some Sony XM4's.
...And 'claim validated' came in over night. Winning!

Also my Spigen Thin Fit arrived. It's a bit different to the Thin Fit I had on my 3a XL in that the sides are TPU as as such don't need the cut outs on the corner to be able to expand and fit around the phone. Definitely the nicest Thin Fit I've had.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Simon wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:05 am
Simon wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:15 pm Great stuff. I guess I'll be 2 days behind you.

...And 'claim validated' came in over night. Winning!

Also my Spigen Thin Fit arrived. It's a bit different to the Thin Fit I had on my 3a XL in that the sides are TPU as as such don't need the cut outs on the corner to be able to expand and fit around the phone. Definitely the nicest Thin Fit I've had.
Result!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Being behind the times, I've just set up a Pixel 4 XL for meself.

It's alright, it is. The 'transfer your settings' but was easy - USB C to USB C cable between the phones, give it ten minutes, fokkin' done. Noice.

Face unlock is fucking fast too. Not sure about the Pixel UI thing (and how it messes up my preferred launcher, Nova Launcher) but otherwise it's pretty nice.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Face unlock is so fast because it uses the radar to see you have your hand come near the phone and primes the face unlock camera/hardware before you've even finished picking your phone up. It's pretty slick really.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Face unlock was something I really liked (and immediately got used to) on the iPhone X I bought recently

IMO it's really the only missing feature/icing on the cake from the Pixel 5
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

BTW I'm very impressed with the battery life on the Pixel 5

I use my phone a lot all day and I've been going to bed with c70% battery left.

So much better than the P3
Simon

Post by Simon »

I was on the phone for over 5 hours yesterday evening sorting a friend's firewall.

Battery went from 70% to 39%.

1.5 hours of whatsapp video call, 1.5 hours of Duo video call and over 2 hours on the phone, and just went down 31%.

According to the battery usage app, the phone call itself used just 1% of the battery. Insane.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Really impressed with the low light/mixed performance of the phone.