Rtx 30 series cards

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Rtx 30 series cards

Post by Matty »

Rumours are that supply is going to be quite low so there will be stock shortages for a while - if you can get one you'd be better of flipping it.

Also, Big Navi annoucement is due from AMD soon, so it might be interesting to see what they offer before pulling the trigger....
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I personally wouldn’t want to preorder, I’ll wait until there are real world tests on a variety of games and as above, see what the competition can offer.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 pm Well a 3070 supposedly has 2x the performance of a 1080ti. I imagine a 3080 would be knocking on 4x the performance of a 1070.
Lol it won't. Wait for real world reviews and do NOT preorder.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

If it even slightly lives up to the hype I think a 3070 will make anything less than a 1080ti feel very old hat.

The new Xbox is going to use an AMD gpu isn’t it? Wonder how worried nvidia are about future amd cards and upped their specs and fired their shots early in the hope amd haven’t got anything in the bag ready to challenge.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Xbox AMD graphics card will have 12 teraflops, PS5 seems to have a weaker version of the same card with 10 teraflops - Nvidia 3070 will have 20.

It is a bit ridiculous that you can buy a new console in a few months time that will have the capability of a 2080ti for £500 so Nvidia need to pull their fingers out.
How about not having a sig at all?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Interesting fact I heard yesterday on these is that Nvidia themselves are now going to sell their own version of the reference design, so in addition to the AIB versions (which apparently are what MSI and the like are referred to as?) they are themselves selling an improved version. Ergo the FE is perhaps a better version when compared to FE versions of the past. Will still wait to see full reviews though, but will be trying to get hold of one from that point.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Seems like a winner. I think I'll get an order in...but might have to wait a while for the backlog to clear....

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, looks like a similar jump from 2080ti to 3080 as there is from 2080 to 2080ti at roughly 2/3rds the price of a 2080ti.

Mental.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, don't look too bad. Be interesting to see where the 3070 sits, as the xx70 cards have traditionally been a decent price/performance match.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Did anyone get one? I see that Overclockers have them for preorder with delivery estimated in a few weeks but there’s now pretty big rumours of a 20gb version of the 3080 coming in a few months and a 16gb version of the 3070 too so ...going to sit and wait me thinks.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Must admit I thought 10gb seemed a bit stingy, even ancient gta v will push an 8gb card pretty hard at higher settings.

I’m in no rush, there’s supposed to be an amd announcement in a couple of weeks too, see if they’ve got an answer.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

One of the reviews had a test of how much VRAM was being requested across a number of games and none of them hit 10GB, even at 4K+ultra settings.

That said, I'm holding out for a 20GB, because it's gonna last me a 2-3 years or so.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Well that was an, er, interesting launch, not really sure which other word to use. Stock disappearing immediately, if it was even available in the first place, people getting confirmations then cancel emails minutes later, and now trolls on eBay bidding up the flippers it would seem. And after all that the rumour mill suggesting double memory capacity incoming, as mentioned.

I’ll be waiting too. Needs to calm down a lot first.
Simon

Post by Simon »

It was the worst launch I've ever seen, and I've been in this game 25 years.

I had an auto-refresh on the nVidia shop and a few others, and on the former it went from 'Notify Me' to 'Out of stock' on the hour. Other places like OcUK were hiking the price before they even launched (you could see them creep up). Others (Scan) upped the prices within minutes of launching.

It was terrible. If I was actually trying to get hold of one I'd have been pretty pissed off. Nvidia and the retailers should hang their heads in shame.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just seen eBay :lol: what the actual fuck
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ok so there's a few bots grabbing inventory as soon as the store opens.

Seems like there are other bots trying to disrupt the ebay auctions with fake bids and BINs. Hopefully the later will piss off the former.

I can't say much more now.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Why the massive clamour - all you nerds were gaming before this came out and you still can play the same games, waiting another few weeks won't hurt!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No massive rush here, it’s just a very well priced card with twice the performance. Imagine Apple releasing an iPhone which is twice as good and half the price :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:46 am No massive rush here, it’s just a very well priced card with twice the performance. Imagine Apple releasing an iPhone which is twice as good and half the price :lol:
i didn't realise it was half the price of what it was replacing....
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:53 am
Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:46 am No massive rush here, it’s just a very well priced card with twice the performance. Imagine Apple releasing an iPhone which is twice as good and half the price :lol:
i didn't realise it was half the price of what it was replacing....
It's a lot better than a card that cost £1200, and it's £649 (RRP)...