Rtx 30 series cards

integrale_evo

Rtx 30 series cards

Post by integrale_evo »

Some early look vids around ( digital foundry for one )

Looks like some huge performance boosts, 3080 averaging 75% Performance increase over the 2080, outperforming the 2080ti in raytraced 4k titles, for 2080 money.

They’re claiming their biggest ever generational leap.

As someone not very impressed at the initial rtx launch 2 years ago I’m pretty interested in this. Will have to get saving some pennies up I think...
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Re: Rtx 30 series cards

Post by Beany »

They look potentially impressive, but a few of the slides I saw showing 75% performance increase were explicitly about raytracing performance so I'm a bit dubious about how that will reflect real world performance - IE actual framerates without RT enabled, etc.

Still, if they are even half-way to what they claim, that's still a pretty big generational jump. Be curious to see if AMD have anything that can come close; Navi has been interesting, but hardly groundbreaking...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

3080 seems reasonably priced for the performance. Might be worth getting it now as next year will be a minor update. I reckon with the performance it has it should last a solid 5 years on 4k settings :?

20 series were never the performance leap that I hoped for so not worth upgrading to and rendered pointless now compared to the 30 series.

Other option which is not really an option is to wait a couple years for the 3080 to get cheap but my computer is already struggling.
How about not having a sig at all?
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I feel for the poor saps that have just laid out over a grand on a 2080ti to see a new card coming out that beats it for half the price. It's almost as if NVidia have been, oh I don't know, price-gouging? I think NVidia is worried by AMD's Big NAVI architecture and have cut prices to head off AMD being seen as the value proposition.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Am I right in thinking that my old i7 4790K would, in effect, bottleneck the 3080 in something like MSFS2020 so the best way of getting the benefit is to now chuck the whole caboodle and go newer Intel gen on a new mobo? Wouldn’t necessarily see the FPS improvements otherwise. Although a few of you in the sim thread suggested AMD would be better...?

I wonder what the 3080 price will do to used 2080Ti models in a few month’s time, too...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Use something like CPUID or the like to track CPU/GPU usage during an MSFS session to see where the bottleneck is.

The 3070 looks like great value for the performance.
tim

Post by tim »

MSFS will tell you if you're CPU or GPU limited - just turn on dev mode and enable the frame rate display.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:31 pm Am I right in thinking that my old i7 4790K would, in effect, bottleneck the 3080 in something like MSFS2020 so the best way of getting the benefit is to now chuck the whole caboodle and go newer Intel gen on a new mobo? Wouldn’t necessarily see the FPS improvements otherwise. Although a few of you in the sim thread suggested AMD would be better...?

I wonder what the 3080 price will do to used 2080Ti models in a few month’s time, too...
AMD is a much better value proposition than Intel at the moment. If you're upgrading motherboard and CPU anyway, then it's a no-brainer.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Delphi wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:29 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:31 pm Am I right in thinking that my old i7 4790K would, in effect, bottleneck the 3080 in something like MSFS2020 so the best way of getting the benefit is to now chuck the whole caboodle and go newer Intel gen on a new mobo? Wouldn’t necessarily see the FPS improvements otherwise. Although a few of you in the sim thread suggested AMD would be better...?

AMD is a much better value proposition than Intel at the moment. If you're upgrading motherboard and CPU anyway, then it's a no-brainer.
The very high end Intels still have the edge on the AMD stuff, but the saving you can make to get 90% of the performance with AMD can go towards, say, a very fast PCIe storage device, to massively improve load times. Which realistically would impact you more than the 10th percentile of performance, on a day to day basis, I'd say.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Just built the missus a nice new rig for not very much dollar. MSI Tomahawk Max B450 board, Ryzen 3600 CPU, 16GB DDR3200, Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe and the RX580 was carried over from her old PC. It's very quick. Her old Dell boxed i3 is living on as the boy's Minecraft PC which it's fine at, even re-using an old 1GB passively-cooled card. He even managed to screw in a few screws!

Looking forward to my next build, even though my venerable i5-4670K @ 4.4Ghz (6 years old) still stacks up fairly well against the Ryzen, it's the rest of the stuff that makes a big difference to performance.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Anyone know how to work out what power supply is needed?

I have a i7-9700k which uses 255 watts and the new 3080 requires 320 watts. Roughly how much power does the rest of the system and auxiliary gubbins require :?
Current power supply is 650 watts and I’d rather not change it. I see that Nvidia recommend 750 but that’s for a i9-10900k which seems to use a lot more power. That said it’s hard to find an accurate measurement as every website seems to have different values :?
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

650 will be fine.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Deffo time to retire my GTX980 I think. Not sure I want to spunk £650 on a graphics card, I don't really game that much these days but a 3070 sounds perfect.

As mentioned, I'll be waiting for the reviewsd first, it all sounds a bit too good to be true at the moment...
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

What’s the difference in architecture or performance between a Founders edition card and then something by the third parties like MSI? I assume there is no difference. But I’m fully expecting the MSI GTX 3080 to be a lot more than £650 but I don’t really know why. I’ve always bought the MSI version although no real reason for that other than the first proper GPU I bought was probably an MSI. £650 for the RTX 3080 seems like good value but were the Founders editions of the earlier cards (2080 series) also cheaper than the later third party models?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

The FE are usually 'stock' (bone stock!) whereas the 3rd party ones tend to be tweaked/overclocked a bit and have alternative coolers.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve never managed to get hold of a founders edition although I’ve only tried twice in the past -
Makes getting tickets for Glastonbury look easy as they seem to sell out in minutes once they come in stock.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The founders cards were always a bit shit up until the 20 series as they all had radial blower style coolers which made your machine sound like a jet engine.

There are rumours that they pick the best chips for their own cards, but you can overclock any of them with msi afterburner.

The zotac 1070tis I have we’re probably the cheapest 1070s you could buy yet my 3dmark results are up there with any other brands.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yes they’re meant to be able to take higher voltages, although I believe the higher end third party ones also have the better chips - at the end of the day it will make a negligible difference and cost a few hundred quid more compared to OC your own card so what’s the point :lol:

Just a quick look on Scan and a lover spec 2080 Ti from EVGA or Palit costs £1059 but they have a high end water cooled one for £1500 which looking on reddit gives a 3% increase in performance :lol:
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Cheers guys so if I can get hold of an FE version from the 17th then sounds like it will give a big enough benefit over my existing MSI GTX1070 to render the higher cost of the MSI 3080 a complete waste of money. And that’ll then probably trigger a PC rebuild...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well a 3070 supposedly has 2x the performance of a 1080ti. I imagine a 3080 would be knocking on 4x the performance of a 1070.