Rtx 30 series cards

teacherboy

Re: Rtx 30 series cards

Post by teacherboy »

Assuming that the RX6800 does indeed trade blows with the RTX3070, i'll have an RX 6800 for more vram and the mixed resolution gaming that i'd like to enjoy on my hardware - racing games at 6400 x 1080 will be somewhat immersive i'd assume :shock:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Some pretty interesting numbers, although I think rage mode is a built in OC, and the fancy pants smart memory management is a Ryzen 5000 thing, so pinches of salt required....

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

As it’s AMD I’m still waiting for the real reviews and disappointment to hit. That said if NVidia don’t sort their shit out AMD it is...
Shame they’re missing ray tracing and DLSS because I don’t think the small price difference makes up for it (6900 XT aside).
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, waiting for real world reviews on a variety of titles before getting too excited or getting my wallet out :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh obviously - it's just been a long, long time since AMD have taken aim at Intel so strongly, and also Nvidia - that's pretty brave, and if they can't back it up, 'courageous'.

pretty sure the AMD 6000 series have a DXR implementation for raytracing (and as the console hardware is now locked in, i can't see RT being used for true global illum etc till the next HW generation) and they have their 'super resolution' thing which is DLSS-equivelant, so it's not that far out featurewise.

Actual performance though - well, we'll see. I think real world reviews of the Zen 3 CPUs will be an indicator of how much the marketing teams have been stretching things, as is their wont....
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Interesting that amd seem to have for efficiency nailed at last. In the past their cards which were able to compete directly with nvidia usually do so at the expense of massive power consumption and made pretty good room warmers.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Likewise with the pre-Zen CPUs - I'm guessing going fabless and letting someone else deal with the low level mechanics of the design hasn't done any harm.

That, and TSMCs fabs being pretty much the bleeding edge of tech and maturity at the moment. Good yields on the 5nm and very mature 7nm stuff.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Well they proved me wrong! I must say, I'm so impressed with AMD. They're smashing it out of the park this year. Beating either Intel or Nvidia would be an achievement but it looks like they're managing to do both. Plus, leveraging their own platform with the direct CPU access to VRAM is a masterstroke.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I see there are rumours this week that the rumoured 20GB 30xx series cards have been cancelled, and other rumours of an impending 3080ti that will sit more or less exactly between the 3080 and 3090. That will definitely need 20GB to be justifiable.

I'm heavily torn by the 6800XT now. Just interested to see how it performs in MS Flight Simulator.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I've always been Intel and nVidia - yet since buying a Zen3 and the lack of 3000 series supply, I might also drop into a 6800XT. Will see how it performs - it seems highly unlikely many will get hold of any nVidia card until the new year, and I'm really not bothered enough to sit there smashing F5 like a goon trying to get one either so it may be my only viable option.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Of course, it was so obvious.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Seems the AMD Zen 3 CPUs have been pretty close to the claims made about increased IPC and general performance - to the extent that they either hump, or trade punches at worst with the current Intel stuff.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214/am ... 00x-tested

So presuming the same marketing guidance has been applied to the 6000 series GPUs, this could be about to become very interesting.
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 am Interesting that amd seem to have for efficiency nailed at last. In the past their cards which were able to compete directly with nvidia usually do so at the expense of massive power consumption and made pretty good room warmers.
Looks like these are trading punches with 3080s anywhere that isn't RTX/DLSS optimised (fairly obviously - although raytracing performance does look genuinely a bit light). And for a touch less power to boot. General rasterisation/poly-pushing? Genuinely competitive as opposed to the budget choice. Noice.

Good to see AMD and Nvidia having a fair fight for a change. A bit like Ryzen and Intel, it's been a while.

Of course, there's no stock of anything at the moment (scalpers, rather than paper launches, for all parties, it seems) but it looks like AMD have got some clever people in their process and architecture departments who are starting to pay dividends, what with Ryzen 5000 giving Intel a bloody nose, and RX6800 stuff looks like it should make Nvidia wake up a bit, too.

Competition is good. I like it. Can't afford any of them, and if I could, you can't buy it anyway :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

I thought it looked good at first glance, but there are specifics which turn me off.

AMD drivers were never great and seemingly never optimised for the games I was playing at the time. Prepar3d and its lack of AMD support is why I moved to Nvidia in the first place.
Their video encoder quality is still gash (I use steam link a fair bit now so this is relevant).
Ray tracing may not be a big deal now but it will be in a year or so and I've had my 1080 for what, 4 years? I want a card to last.

Hence I think I'll wait till the rumoured 3080Ti drops with the 20GB RAM. That should last me.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh, it's not for me either. Be nice to have some competition in the mid range though. I might be interested in a 3060/6600 etc next year and if they're scrapping it out proper again, prices will hopefully be keen.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

3060Ti out tomorrow.

Better than 2080 Super performance for £370 (RRP) seems like a solid mid-range card. Good luck getting one, mind - I've still not landed a 3080.....
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I managed to get one after 2 years below RRP so fuck you scalpers :P
Tiny 3070 which ain’t the best but the Zotac 3070 is the smallest proper 30 series card and it’s the only one which fits in my case.
Should be good enough for prnhub.
How about not having a sig at all?
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

A friend of mine who I talk nerd with on occasion said he thought GFX cards were going to drop in price finally toward the end of this year following the crypto crash. I'd like to believe that's true and not just wishful thinking - I have a soft spot for those Nvidia cards with the Noctua fans.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:27 pm I managed to get one after 2 years below RRP so fuck you scalpers :P
Tiny 3070 which ain’t the best but the Zotac 3070 is the smallest proper 30 series card and it’s the only one which fits in my case.
Should be good enough for prnhub.
Ive run a pair of zotac 1070tis for years and they’ve been superb, as has their 1060 in my boys pc.

I know they’re at the budget end but my setup was amongst the highest benchmarks on 3D mark for twin 1070ti systems and been very stable and reliable.
Cheers, Harry