Adblock in Chrome

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Adblock in Chrome

Post by Jobbo »

About a week ago I noticed Adblock was allowing a few ads, and then spotted that the little icon in the Chrome bar was a green tick. Click on that and it says 'Adblock is disabled on this page'; click to enable it and it says 'Sorry, AdBlock is disabled on this page by one of your filter lists.'

I found the generic filter lists and it seems pistonheads is in there whitelisted now but even after turning off all the filter lists and removing my custom filters, it still gives me the same message.

Anyone else having the same problem? I tried uBlock Origin and Adblock Plus but they're both more irritating and, more importantly, don't have all my personal filters set up so I'm reluctant to start again with them.
Broccers

Re: Adblock in Chrome

Post by Broccers »

I moved from this a bit back - use ublock instead :)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... iagm?hl=en
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I'd noticed that Adblock had let a few adverts slip through, but more annoying for me, seemingly stopped working on YouTube. It would just cause errors with video playback.

I switched to another blocker (on Safari though), which seems to be working better, but does show the advert on YouTube as a white screen which can be instantly skipped - I think its called Adblock Plus.. Not sure if it's a different or related brand to Adblock though.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

One of the guys at work swears by this:

https://blog.cryptoaustralia.org.au/ins ... p-pi-hole/
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Brannen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:25 am I'd noticed that Adblock had let a few adverts slip through, but more annoying for me, seemingly stopped working on YouTube. It would just cause errors with video playback.

I switched to another blocker (on Safari though), which seems to be working better, but does show the advert on YouTube as a white screen which can be instantly skipped - I think its called Adblock Plus.. Not sure if it's a different or related brand to Adblock though.
Adblock Plus is a different thing; I have that installed but disabled because it has been far more frustrating at preventing me accessing pages in the past.

There is an 'Adblock for Youtube' extension which seems to work perfectly in Chrome for me; highly recommended.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

unzippy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:27 am One of the guys at work swears by this:

Zips, I'm mainly on the office network so I am not going to add that when I pay an IT firm to manage things. Might ask them what they can do to implement it themselves though.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I’ve moved to Wipr for our devices which works very well.

I’ve got Pi doing HomeKit stuff so really should setup Pi-Hole on it as it is supposed to be brilliant.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I have that running on a Pi Zero - works perfectly, and does a nice job of nixing ads on mobile pages too.

It's not good enough to do anything about YT ads etc, so there's still a use for a 'local' adblocker (I've been using uBlock Origin for ages) but PiHole is a good, fire and forget solution.

Jobbo - worth poking 'em, it's not a tricky thing to set up all things considered (and doesn't need to be on a raspberry pi).
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:45 am Jobbo - worth poking 'em, it's not a tricky thing to set up all things considered (and doesn't need to be on a raspberry pi).
Replace 'poking' with 'paying' and see if you have the same opinion :lol:
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:39 am
Brannen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:25 am I'd noticed that Adblock had let a few adverts slip through, but more annoying for me, seemingly stopped working on YouTube. It would just cause errors with video playback.

Adblock Plus is a different thing; I have that installed but disabled because it has been far more frustrating at preventing me accessing pages in the past.

There is an 'Adblock for Youtube' extension which seems to work perfectly in Chrome for me; highly recommended.
Fair enough on Adblock Plus - I was just using what was working for me on Safari. Will take a look at the YouTube extension, cheers.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:46 am
Beany wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:45 am Jobbo - worth poking 'em, it's not a tricky thing to set up all things considered (and doesn't need to be on a raspberry pi).
Replace 'poking' with 'paying' and see if you have the same opinion :lol:
Ok, see how much they'd charge to build it for you ;)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Thread ressurect!

I've setup a pi-hole experimentally using that guide running on a Pi4 yesterday. Seems to be working well and not too hard to setup. I've noticed I have to refresh some sites a couple of times before they load correctly but the lack of ads everywhere is quite amazing. Especially running apps on a mobile.

If it runs well for a week and I can sort the need to rereload pages I think I'll invest in a PiZero to use for this to free up the Pi4 for other projects.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I've been using uBlock Origin (disappointingly not called μBlock any more since people couldn't understand how to type or pronounce 'mu') since posting this thread and it's been great. Refreshing not to have adverts in Youtube videos, though since I tend not to watch them on my PC I don't get that joy on tv or my phone or iPad :(

uBlock Origin has worked fine anyway. I haven't bothered trying Adblock, Adblock Plus etc again. I think I had a few days being annoyed while getting it set up how I liked but that was clearly worthwhile.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Blocking Youtube ads is definitely hit and miss, I thought it was doing a great job then I got about 4 ads in a row (making up for lost revenue?) Although I'm only using the default blacklist so far.

Mrs complained that the Facebook direct shopping links no longer work so that's a win :lol:

Sites like IFLS are dramatically cleaner.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

RobYob wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:54 pm Blocking Youtube ads is definitely hit and miss, I thought it was doing a great job then I got about 4 ads in a row (making up for lost revenue?) Although I'm only using the default blacklist so far.

Mrs complained that the Facebook direct shopping links no longer work so that's a win :lol:

I've got the same. Running a Pihole makes things better. Annoyingly YouTube blocking is very tricky because they embed the ads. Combination of ublock and Pihole, etc. works tolerably.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:36 pm
RobYob wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:54 pm Blocking Youtube ads is definitely hit and miss, I thought it was doing a great job then I got about 4 ads in a row (making up for lost revenue?) Although I'm only using the default blacklist so far.

I've got the same. Running a Pihole makes things better. Annoyingly YouTube blocking is very tricky because they embed the ads. Combination of ublock and Pihole, etc. works tolerably.
Do you find a number of pages need to be refreshed twice in order to load? I did a very noddy setup without too much research and that's the major downside I've noticed so far. Often a first refresh will return an error then on 2nd refresh it works fine.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

RobYob wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:09 pm

Do you find a number of pages need to be refreshed twice in order to load? I did a very noddy setup without too much research and that's the major downside I've noticed so far. Often a first refresh will return an error then on 2nd refresh it works fine.
Not had that. I've done a standard install, nothing fancy except I also just it serve DHCP.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

While I am at it, been grappling with an issue with the router. If I only point the DNS to the Pihole it just doesn't work. It can't resolve DNS. Add an external DNS and it works fine.

Turns out it is a limitation of the router, it can't address an internal IP DNS server. Roll on BT fibre!
---
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:42 pm
RobYob wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:09 pm

Not had that. I've done a standard install, nothing fancy except I also just it serve DHCP.
I think DHCP is a step I have to do too, at the moment the pi-hole diagnostics only show the router IP as the source for requests and I would like to know which of the dozen attached devices is doing what. Requests seen to mysteriously peak in the middle of the night weirdly.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It makes sense as it gives you more information and comes at no cost.
---