5g

Broccers

5g

Post by Broccers »

Is this the right place for such a topic? Did a search and can't find a discussion :lol:

Anyone on Voda with 5g - what speeds are you getting? I now have an unlimited unthrottled (they have a 10mb option) contract and was wondering what to expect once we get it here and I change my phone. Currently 18 down 18 up at home. Will negate the need for faster home broadband one day I think.
Orange Cola

Re: 5g

Post by Orange Cola »

I'm also interested in this but with the rate of roll out, relatively low coverage and early phones/contracts still being relatively higher priced I'm holding off switching.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:07 pm I'm also interested in this but with the rate of roll out, relatively low coverage and early phones/contracts still being relatively higher priced I'm holding off switching.
Yes the phones seem a lot. My current Chinese P20 pro spying device is all the phone you would ever need for the moment bar 5g, I think it was 700 2 years ago.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Seems quite slow for 5g, I’m getting 25down 10up on o2 4g out in the countryside.

Which was considerably faster than our home broadband for many years!
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:21 pm Seems quite slow for 5g, I’m getting 25down 10up on o2 4g out in the countryside.

Which was considerably faster than our home broadband for many years!
I think broccers means what he's currently getting, before 5g his his area?

I got 70 down on my 4g connection on a P20 Lite, then I ran out of data :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

From just now in another room 😀
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

5g phone/contract prices seem a little high. I'll be waiting a while.

4g in rural N.Yorkshire on EE

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

oooh that upload is a bit crap innit :D
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

There’s been a few videos on this in the US. The ones I’ve seen from respected tech bloggers show that if you’re standing right next to a cell tower in the street, you get crazy fast download speeds (albeit your handset is nearly on fire). The minute you start to walk away from the mast, speeds drop dramatically, to the point where you might as well be on 4G.

So I guess like 4G its going to come down to coverage in your specific area(s).
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There was a BBC video when it first came out in London and in many areas it was the same speed or slower than 4G.
How about not having a sig at all?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

5G really relies on more connected 5G masts than 4G LTE

So hard to compare until the network is complete
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:12 pm There’s been a few videos on this in the US. The ones I’ve seen from respected tech bloggers show that if you’re standing right next to a cell tower in the street, you get crazy fast download speeds (albeit your handset is nearly on fire). The minute you start to walk away from the mast, speeds drop dramatically, to the point where you might as well be on 4G.

So I guess like 4G its going to come down to coverage in your specific area(s).
There's two main types of 5G. The ultra fast, line of sight version, and the regular version which is similar to 3G and 4G.

The regular version is what we'll see most places and is the idea is that average signal should be similar to really good 4G.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Bit of a random bump, but I've just bought a Huawei 5G router to try at home with an EE SIM. Our internet has been the same for the last 20 years here - circa 20-25Mbps download max. Which was fine back in the day, but is struggling now with me working from home permanently; Mrs Mike back at uni (from home) and two teenagers, not to mention all the "internet of things" devices and streaming music.

There's no BT Openreach fibre to the premise until 2025 and I've been unable to get much interest in a community fibre project. So to take the load off the main connection I checked and we have very minimal 5G coverage so figured it was worth a try. 5G sim in the phone gets nothing, but I've got a few bars of signal on the Huawei router and speed tests are showing about 150Mbps download which is incredible tbh. Its only a 200GB allowance per month, so I'll do some monitoring of the connection and maybe add a couple of other devices on if I can.

Would be great to be able to cancel the BT connection though - a second 200GB SIM with a separate router might be the way forward if this one proves to be reliable enough.
Cheers,

Mike.
GG.

Post by GG. »

162mbps. There are some benefits to living in central london.

Quicker than the 101.3 I'm getting plugged into a router with Virgin Fibre and 3x the speed when I'm connected to the shitty corporate VPN network.

Seems like wired internet in town centers is probably on its way out?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I didn’t realise 5G was a seamless process, when I bought my iPhone 12 I didn’t bother to change my SIM card or contract but I did notice one day in London that my phone was extremely fast online

Annoyingly the O2 5G coverage seems to be from Tower Bridge to Battersea Bridge along the embankment so not where I live.
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

I think such mobile speeds would have blown people's minds even 5 years ago.

I remember the days when "WAP" did not refer to err... well, that.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Below was Nov 2017 on 4g on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow (Glasgae ftbo RichB😉)

I was amazed hand have seen anything similar since.

Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:55 pm I didn’t realise 5G was a seamless process, when I bought my iPhone 12 I didn’t bother to change my SIM card or contract but I did notice one day in London that my phone was extremely fast online

Annoyingly the O2 5G coverage seems to be from Tower Bridge to Battersea Bridge along the embankment so not where I live.
It is irritating until the masts are all in though. I’m 5 min walk south of Tower Bridge which appears to be the current limit of the 5G, and if my phone switches over to it the speeds are lower than 3G unless I walk 250 metres North, then it’s great…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jimexpl wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:04 pm I’m 5 min walk south of Tower Bridge
Nice location, I used to live next to Bermondsey Square. :-)
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:29 pm
Jimexpl wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:04 pm I’m 5 min walk south of Tower Bridge
Nice location, I used to live next to Bermondsey Square. :-)
On Long Lane? We've been here for twenty years.