OnePlus 8 mini review.

Zonda_

OnePlus 8 mini review.

Post by Zonda_ »

After having no end of trouble with my Galaxy S9 Plus it finally refused to charge and I needed a replacement. I'd planned to nurse the Galaxy until the new Pixel was launched but as it turned out I needed a replacement quickly. Out of the box the OnePlus looks very similar to the S9, main differences are a physical switch for Volume/vibrate/mute. The fingerprint sensor is built into the front screen and seems a bit hit and miss. The screen itself is great and a step up from the S9 and had adjustable refresh rate to save battery. On the subject of battery it has the Warp charge which will fully charge it in around an hour and the battery itself lasts ages.

The OnePlus is notably quicker in all aspects than the S9, the only thing I thought I wouldn't like is the lack of a 3.5mm jack but I received a free set of OnePlus Wireless bullets and the are great, I've tried loads of these style earphone before and they all sounded tinnie, I put it down to my ears but these deliver great sound.

It's a great phone.
McSwede

Re: OnePlus 8 mini review.

Post by McSwede »

They do look smart. There's some nice stuff too from OPPO and Xiaomi too.

I may go down one of those routes when my Pixel 2 XL eventually dies. Can't stomach the silly money iPhones and Nokia's go for.
Marv

Post by Marv »

I'm still a fan of OnePlus. Had the 3T and I'm currently using the 6T. Prices have been creeping up. Will be interesting to see what the new lower cost OnePlus bring.

Don't really find many other Android phones desirable due to bloatware and I can't be bothered with pissing around with the OS.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Marv wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:06 am I'm still a fan of OnePlus. Had the 3T and I'm currently using the 6T. Prices have been creeping up. Will be interesting to see what the new lower cost OnePlus bring.

Don't really find many other Android phones desirable due to bloatware and I can't be bothered with pissing around with the OS.
The OnePlus Nord is launching in the next couple of weeks.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

15 months in and it’s now droppings calls regularly, refusing to send texts and a couple of days ago it became stuck in the ‘restarting’ screen for an hour. The battery life is crap now too. I’m toying with going back to iPhone but I haven’t had one since the 3G many years ago!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:50 pm 15 months in and it’s now droppings calls regularly, refusing to send texts and a couple of days ago it became stuck in the ‘restarting’ screen for an hour. The battery life is crap now too. I’m toying with going back to iPhone but I haven’t had one since the 3G many years ago!
I'm going to get a new phone soon as my Pixel 2 XL is 4 years old in October. Battery life is still good and it does everything well but it's just starting to play up. Camera only works when it wants to and it randomly reboots from time to time.

I'll be staying android for sure as I really dislike my work iPhone.

I may get a new Pixel 6 Pro but will probably baulk at £1100 or whatever it'll cost. Have also been looking at Xiaomi handset as they look impressive and are much more sensible money.

I always enjoy the search for new toys 😁
Beany

Post by Beany »

My pixel 4 XL has forgotten how batteries work (it sometimes just can't read the battery level, and won't charge - at all) so it's going back. Under a year old.

Very smooth experience with Google customer services though, so can't argue with that

Just need to get the bastard thing in the post to them now...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

McSwede wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:32 pm Xiaomi
I wouldn't. Even the handsets sold in Europe contain dormant censorship software that regularly download a "blacklist" of words from servers in Singapore. There is nothing stopping Xiaomi or others with access enabling it. It is completely transparent to the user and there is no way to turn it off/remove the software.

Huawei was also criticised for using unofficial app stores (in an opaque way), many of which are known to house outright malware or versions of other apps that have been tampered with.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:57 pm
McSwede wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:32 pm Xiaomi
I wouldn't. Even the handsets sold in Europe contain dormant censorship software that regularly download a "blacklist" of words from servers in Singapore. There is nothing stopping Xiaomi or others with access enabling it. It is completely transparent to the user and there is no way to turn it off/remove the software.

Huawei was also criticised for using unofficial app stores (in an opaque way), many of which are known to house outright malware or versions of other apps that have been tampered with.
Good shout. Thanks!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

You're welcome!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I've been super impressed with my Pixel 5

Superb cameras, amazing battery life.

It's not the fastest processor - e.g. there's a moment's pause sometimes when saving a highly edited photo (using something like Snapseed)

But I can live with that for the overall design, form factor, and battery

I've been hammering my phone all day, and at 21:42 it still shows 70% battery left
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Think I’ll wait and see what price the Pixel 6 will be when it launches in a fortnight,
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:05 pm Think I’ll wait and see what price the Pixel 6 will be when it launches in a fortnight,
Are these good / meant to be good?

My phones 3 years old now and while it works fine still I'm sure it could be better / faster.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Broccers wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:56 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:05 pm Think I’ll wait and see what price the Pixel 6 will be when it launches in a fortnight,

My phones 3 years old now and while it works fine still I'm sure it could be better / faster.
The speculation/leaks indicate it’s going to be something special in performance terms. It’s powered by Google’s own processor ‘Tensor’ and the industry is pretty hyper about it. It’s expected Google will launch on the 19 of next month and go on sale a week later. It’s meant to be pretty cheap too.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Broccers wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:56 pm

My Pixel 2 XL has been awesome. Android without all the phone manufacturer bloatware is great. It's been fast and faithfully reliable for 4yrs. New one should be good!