Network novice question

integrale_evo

Network novice question

Post by integrale_evo »

We have bt fibre with their home hub router.

I have no issues with any of that, it all works nicely.

Unfortunately it only has 3 Ethernet ports.

Can I just by any network switch off the shelf to stick several inputs into and one output to the router and it all just work? Or is it more complicated than that and will need mucking about with?
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Re: Network novice question

Post by DeskJockey »

You can do that. Buy whatever unmanaged switch you want and plug it into the router, then plug devices into the switch.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Exactly. I’ve got three switches in different parts of the house to provide connections to everything.

I’m not sure if I was over-thinking it all but I tried to plan the load. So the lounge TV has a direct connection to the router as we stream Netflix a lot and I wanted the best possible connection. Everything else in the lounge is via a switch as they’re less demanding and very unlikely to be using them all at the same time.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I got this one recently fwiw
Left over crest; tightens.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:22 am Exactly. I’ve got three switches in different parts of the house to provide connections to everything.

I’m not sure if I was over-thinking it all but I tried to plan the load. So the lounge TV has a direct connection to the router as we stream Netflix a lot and I wanted the best possible connection. Everything else in the lounge is via a switch as they’re less demanding and very unlikely to be using them all at the same time.
As long as they're gigabit switches I suspect it doesn't matter.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:59 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:22 am Exactly. I’ve got three switches in different parts of the house to provide connections to everything.

As long as they're gigabit switches I suspect it doesn't matter.
It won't. Unless it's a really shitty switch and/or you're spending a lot of time moving TBs of data around, a gigabit switch will barely break a sweat.