No Apple thread?

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: No Apple thread?

Post by Jobbo »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:15 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 amThe reality of the seamless switch from iPhone to iPad to Mac currently is that it's not quite seamless or instant. While I've found syncing documents across OneDrive and Sharepoint to be pretty much perfect; accessible on any PC which is logged in, and through an app on my iPhone. Apple talk more about it, Microsoft seem to get on and do it without fanfare. The reality is that anything 6-12 months away on one platform is going to be copied by the other within a short space of time.
What do you mean going from iPhone to iPad to Mac specifically? Using iCloud and the Apple apps?

I’ve not had any issues with synching stuff in OneDrive, iCloud or Dropbox for many years now and Apple-specific stuff like Photos, Music etc synching across devices has been spot-on. I really like their hand-off technology and being and to copy something on one device and just paste in to another without any faffing.
I mean when I pick up my iPad it doesn't sync properly or show me the same web pages as I was looking at on my iPhone, that sort of thing. It tries but it doesn't succeed, and it doesn't work in the same way when moving from iPad to iPhone as iPhone to iPad. So I don't use it because I can't rely on it.

ETA: OC, I use Microsoft for work simply because that's the default option, but I wouldn't switch to Apple for work because it doesn't work as well in my home environment. But mainly because, as I mentioned above, I don't like typing on an Apple laptop because the edge digs in to my wrists, and the palm rest is hard. The Magic Mouse is also ergonomically shit compared to, say, a Logitech mouse - which you could of course use with Apple products but if you start to depart from the sleek ecosystem you've already left, really. Shame when their trackpads are by far the best of any laptop.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Loads of people use third party mice with their Macs, it’s hardly a departure :lol:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:05 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:15 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 amThe reality of the seamless switch from iPhone to iPad to Mac currently is that it's not quite seamless or instant. While I've found syncing documents across OneDrive and Sharepoint to be pretty much perfect; accessible on any PC which is logged in, and through an app on my iPhone. Apple talk more about it, Microsoft seem to get on and do it without fanfare. The reality is that anything 6-12 months away on one platform is going to be copied by the other within a short space of time.
What do you mean going from iPhone to iPad to Mac specifically? Using iCloud and the Apple apps?

I’ve not had any issues with synching stuff in OneDrive, iCloud or Dropbox for many years now and Apple-specific stuff like Photos, Music etc synching across devices has been spot-on. I really like their hand-off technology and being and to copy something on one device and just paste in to another without any faffing.
I mean when I pick up my iPad it doesn't sync properly or show me the same web pages as I was looking at on my iPhone, that sort of thing. It tries but it doesn't succeed, and it doesn't work in the same way when moving from iPad to iPhone as iPhone to iPad. So I don't use it because I can't rely on it.

ETA: OC, I use Microsoft for work simply because that's the default option, but I wouldn't switch to Apple for work because it doesn't work as well in my home environment. But mainly because, as I mentioned above, I don't like typing on an Apple laptop because the edge digs in to my wrists, and the palm rest is hard. The Magic Mouse is also ergonomically shit compared to, say, a Logitech mouse - which you could of course use with Apple products but if you start to depart from the sleek ecosystem you've already left, really. Shame when their trackpads are by far the best of any laptop.
So on my iPhone, if I go to tabs, i can scroll down and it shows me everything I have open on my iPad just now. I can select one of those to pickup where I left off? And that works doing the other way too?

The Magic Mouse has always been shit. Its up there with their Apple TV remote control as being utter horse shit. I can’t remember the last time I used a mouse as we just have Magic Trackpads on the desktops here.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:38 pm So on my iPhone, if I go to tabs, i can scroll down and it shows me everything I have open on my iPad just now. I can select one of those to pickup where I left off? And that works doing the other way too?
On my phone, scroll down: nothing there.
On my iPad, it offers me the tabs I had open on my phone a few days ago before my bookmarks.

Just inconsistent, not synced up to date; it’s half-arsed compared to Chrome, which is independent of Windows/OSX as well.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Sounds like you’ve got a broken one :?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 pm
Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:38 pm So on my iPhone, if I go to tabs, i can scroll down and it shows me everything I have open on my iPad just now. I can select one of those to pickup where I left off? And that works doing the other way too?
On my phone, scroll down: nothing there.
On my iPad, it offers me the tabs I had open on my phone a few days ago before my bookmarks.

Just inconsistent, not synced up to date; it’s half-arsed compared to Chrome, which is independent of Windows/OSX as well.
That’s really strange then. Its been working flawlessly for me for as long as I can remember it being a function tbh.
Cheers,

Mike.