FAO Mobile telephony users.

Zonda_

FAO Mobile telephony users.

Post by Zonda_ »

I currently have a Galaxy S9+ and it is frankly crap. I get virtually no signal in places where my previous S7 had full and devours the battery, this is the second one I’ve had as I sent the first one back with the same signal issues. I’ve since discovered the S9 has a problem with signal reception and despite there being several ‘solutions’ none actually work. I want to buy a new phone but I’m not up to speed with what’s good, bad or indifferent. The only experience of iPhones I’ve had is the iPhone 3G which was great at everything except actually making phone calls, much like my current S9. I had an HTC a few years back and that was good but they ate no longer available in the UK now.

What do you have and should I try an Apple again?
DeskJockey

Re: FAO Mobile telephony users.

Post by DeskJockey »

I've got a indoors OnePlus 6T and it is hard to fault. Minimal bloat, quick updates, premium specs. Newer version carries the trend on.

Battery life is excellent as is signal.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

Might be worth a look at this.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

For cheap, cheerful, basic Androidness, I've been really impressed with my Pixel 3a. New they're about £320, refurbed coming in around £220.

Note the 4a is due very soon, so that might hit prices a bit.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Matty wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:26 am For cheap, cheerful, basic Androidness, I've been really impressed with my Pixel 3a. New they're about £320, refurbed coming in around £220.

Note the 4a is due very soon, so that might hit prices a bit.
Yes I’ve been considering one of the non bloatware phones like Pixel or OnePlus. I might see if I can find somewhere that does the on 0% like Apple.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

My sister just bought a 3a. Days it feels less premium in the hand than her old SGS8 (I think it was, it broke), but the picture quality is much better than her OH's OnePlus 7T.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:46 am My sister just bought a 3a. Days it feels less premium in the hand than her old SGS8 (I think it was, it broke), but the picture quality is much better than her OH's OnePlus 7T.
According to the tech sites the 4a is due for launch next week, I'll see what the prices are.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

My son has a Moto G8 Plus and the antenna on that is better than my Pixel 3a XL.

It also lasts more than a day (pretty much 2) on a single charge even though he uses it for predominantly games.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've got a Huawei P30 Pro and I couldn't be happier with it. Not too expensive I guess because people are afraid of the brand, still has Play Store, amazing camera(s), great battery life.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

LG V30 here, 2yrs old now. Still feels like a premium phone, not too much bloatware, always a decent signal. Picture quality isn't as good as the wife's old Sony, but still reasonable. Suffers more in low light conditions. Doubt I'll change it anytime soon
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I have a Pixel 2XL and it's ace. I have been looking at OPPO recenlty. Mega specs and sensible prices. New top spec version out soon too. Have a look at their website. The OnePlus 8 pro will be great too
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

McSwede wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:28 pm I have a Pixel 2XL and it's ace. I have been looking at OPPO recenlty. Mega specs and sensible prices. New top spec version out soon too. Have a look at their website. The OnePlus 8 pro will be great too
Not heard of them before, will have a look.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

duncs500 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:02 pm I've got a Huawei P30 Pro
China would like to know your location.

Oh, wait.....They already do ;)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Matty wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:39 pm
duncs500 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:02 pm I've got a Huawei P30 Pro
China would like to know your location.

Oh, wait.....They already do ;)
You might be right about the second part, but I doubt the first part is correct. :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

iPhone SE is hard to knock, except for the ageing physical design.
£419 for 64GB but probably worth buying the 128GB for £469 to get maximum longevity out our it. You’ll likely still get software updates for it in 4-5 years time, which is more than can be said for most Android phones.

If you want Android, the Samsung A71 (128GB for £419) is a great buy. Much more modern looking. But probably won’t be receiving updates for much more than 2 years.

Pixel 4a should be pretty good. I expect it’ll be similar money. Software updates somewhere between the iPhone and the Samsung. Absolute minimal Android bloat is appealing. But it won’t feel premium.