Post by Orange Cola »

Just ordered a 90D 8-)

What do you happy snappers use?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The DSLR thread

Post by Rich B »

I used to love Using my DSLR, but phone Camera got too good to justify lugging it around! I challenge you to get better shots than Evostick gets on his iPhone...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Funnily enough I just dug my DSLR out to snap some pics of the munchkins. Haven't used it for well over a year, but now that the kids need less carrying/gear, I'll try to take it out with us on walks.

I've still got an Olympus D510 with 14-42/40-150/140-600mm lenses.

It is 12 or so years old, but still does what I want. Big lens has survived a four and a bit foot drop onto a stone floor, but still works perfectly. Only damage is the filter that was on it smashed and the ring is now stuck on. Battery still good, etc. Quite impressed with it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

A full frame Canon 6D which is now a bit long in the tooth. I'm considering an upgrade but in a bit of a quandry with what to do since most things are going mirrorless. Canon's new R5 looks interesting but I guess will be pricey. Also doesn't seem to really save a lot in size with the new range of lenses for mirrorless so kind of defeats the point versus a DSLR.

Have a few of my old bodies as well including a 20D and 50D and an EOS 600 and EOS 1N SLR (which never worked properly :( ) Have built up a few lenses as well, mostly primes - 17-40L, 35L, 85mm 1.8, Sigma 50mm 1.4, 50mm 1.8 STM, 50mm 1.8 macro.

iPhones are getting hugely better and have tried to take on their key weakness with portrait mode (shallow depth of field) but they still lose badly - ironically still with shallow dept of field shots that actively reduce light gathering capacity using the longer tele lens on the iPhones, whereas the DSLR lenses let in more light when shooting shallow DoF.

Trying taking a picture like this for example (brother's wedding in Tuscany last year) with a phone camera. No flash or light other than candles in pretty much pitch black.

Still no beating some fast film for arty grain shots though:

What Lenses do you have [mention]Orange Cola[/mention] ?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

All that money and your bottle is wonky...
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm pretty sure I was drunk when I took that :lol:

Anyway - that's with the film SLR - £30 off eBay plus fiver for a roll of Ilford 3200!
mik

Post by mik »

Still got my old D5000 with a couple of basic lenses. Got it out the other day as I needed a long lens to get any sort of image of the blue tits nesting in a box I put up.
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:45 pm I needed a long lens to get any sort of blue image of the tits...
Pervert.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

My EOS 40D is still soldering on. Ideally I'd like a 5D mk (whichever I decide I can afford).
Still get some decent pics on it, with my 40mm f/2.8 pancake or 70-200 f/2.8.

Also have a Ricoh GRII APS-C compact camera. That takes better quality shots than the EOS 40D, especially in low light, and can also shoot raw+jpg
Both work with my variety of speedlites - a Godox AD200 being the most recent purchase.

I also have a Voightlander Vitomatic I rangefinder that I've borrowed from my Dad on a hopefully long-term basis. Have had some lovely shots from that.
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]GG.[/mention] I got a great image of one tit poking out.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Remember Mik, if it turns blue you’re squeezing too hard.
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:45 pm Still got my old D5000 with a couple of basic lenses. Got it out the other day as I needed a long lens to get any sort of image of the blue tits nesting in a box I put up.
We've got two nest boxes in the back garden and last year a pair of blue tits built in one. I bought a 10m USB cable and set my Canon 1100D up to remote capture to the laptop inside so as not to disturb them and also so I could laze on the couch 8-)
Little buggers are so fast I didn't get much that wasn't blurry, ten year old tele lense probably not helping.

We've seen them again this year but only sporadically. Two cats in the garden doesn't help.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Can't even remember the last time I bothered using my 30d. Not even 100% sure it's a 30d, maybe 20d? :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:03 pm Can't even remember the last time I bothered using my 30d. Not even 100% sure it's a 30d, maybe 20d? :lol:
Likewise with my 40D - being 'in town' doesn't help, I don't really see much to snap around here :D
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

[mention]GG.[/mention] I’ve been using a 700d which has suffered from a broken and bent pin in the SD reader, I can’t get it fixed right away (plus the repair costs seem to exceed the value of the camera, so I’m going to try and fix it myself) and I bought that with two kit lenses; a 18-55mm and a 55-250mm, both with image stabilisation. Since then I’ve added a 10-18mm and a fixed 50mm but with an F/2.8 8-)

I wanted to go full frame but that was a long term plan, especially with the mirror less cameras now coming into the market. I decided to go for a 90D which is the best APS-C DSLR Canon currently offer and it’ll fit with all my kit. I want to add a 24-105mm F/4 full frame in the coming weeks or months. I photo a lot of things, I enjoy the technical aspect and learning a lot so I’m in no rush to settle on particular styles and I’ll give as much different stuff a go as I can.

I aim to have another full frame lens over the coming years and eventually pick up a full frame body but given the outlay on a D90 it will most likely second hand now.

My iPhone 11 Pro is my instant camera and it’s low light performance is incredible, I’ll see if I can post some up at some point but as a point and shoot with HDR on most photos the instant results are incredible.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:36 pm @GG. I’ve been using a 700d which has suffered from a broken and bent pin in the SD reader, I can’t get it fixed right away (plus the repair costs seem to exceed the value of the camera, so I’m going to try and fix it myself) and I bought that with two kit lenses; a 18-55mm and a 55-250mm, both with image stabilisation. Since then I’ve added a 10-18mm and a fixed 50mm but with an F/2.8 8-)

I wanted to go full frame but that was a long term plan, especially with the mirror less cameras now coming into the market. I decided to go for a 90D which is the best APS-C DSLR Canon currently offer and it’ll fit with all my kit. I want to add a 24-105mm F/4 full frame in the coming weeks or months. I photo a lot of things, I enjoy the technical aspect and learning a lot so I’m in no rush to settle on particular styles and I’ll give as much different stuff a go as I can.

I aim to have another full frame lens over the coming years and eventually pick up a full frame body but given the outlay on a D90 it will most likely second hand now.
The 90D will be a great camera if the previous cameras in the x0D series are anything to go by. Would definitely agree with future proofing by buying EF lenses rather that EF-S (plus they will fit with the new Canon mirrorless system with an adapter if you go full frame mirrorless).

I realise it is somewhat horses for courses but if you photograph a wide range of things, a fast (i.e. f1.8 or preferably 1.4) 30mm or 35mm would be where I would go next. 50mm is great but they are a normal focal length for full frame and equate to roughly an 85mm on a crop sensor.

My go to is a 35mm 1.4 which is actually even wider - maybe something like a 24mm on a crop body.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Erm, a Sinar 5x4" with IQ180 back. 18 EOS 5Ds and 1 5DsR, 3 5DIV's and 2 5D III's, 4 6Ds, a heap of old EF-S shit, a Hasselblad 500cm and X1D and something like 100 lenses.

And some Polaroids and Lomo stuff.

And a lot of lights and grip.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

GG. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:41 am
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:36 pm @GG. I’ve been using a 700d which has suffered from a broken and bent pin in the SD reader, I can’t get it fixed right away (plus the repair costs seem to exceed the value of the camera, so I’m going to try and fix it myself) and I bought that with two kit lenses; a 18-55mm and a 55-250mm, both with image stabilisation. Since then I’ve added a 10-18mm and a fixed 50mm but with an F/2.8 8-)

The 90D will be a great camera if the previous cameras in the x0D series are anything to go by. Would definitely agree with future proofing by buying EF lenses rather that EF-S (plus they will fit with the new Canon mirrorless system with an adapter if you go full frame mirrorless).

I realise it is somewhat horses for courses but if you photograph a wide range of things, a fast (i.e. f1.8 or preferably 1.4) 30mm or 35mm would be where I would go next. 50mm is great but they are a normal focal length for full frame and equate to roughly an 85mm on a crop sensor.

My go to is a 35mm 1.4 which is actually even wider - maybe something like a 24mm on a crop body.
Thanks, I'm looking to go full frame lenses only now and I am always on the look out for a lower F stop lens! Until I broke my 700D I was planning on trying a few different night shots whilst on lockdown. I find the crop sensor natural zoom isn't an issue for me, but I have struggled with a lack of pixels when using my 10-18mm on scenery so the 90D should fix that nicely :D

[mention]KiwiDave[/mention] what the chuff do you need 18 5D's for?! :shock: Are you re-creating scenes from the Matrix or something?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

GG. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:41 am

50mm looks so good because it gives a perspective very close to the human eye, so everything always looks 'right' through them. But yeah, they can be a pain on a crop camera indoors or where you're in tight spaces. However a wider lens to give a field of view similar to a 50mm on a full frame camera won't look the same.
Cheers, Harry
GG.

Post by GG. »

It's interesting that you say that actually, however, I think I remember reading something to the effect that the 50mm as a standard pre-dated SLRs to the time of Leica rangefinders and the like. When you equate that to 35mm film (or full frame DSLR) there is an argument that 35mm is the 'standard' and more closely approximates what your eye sees (if you look through a 35mm and 50mm back to back you'll likely see that the 50 seems somewhat 'long' or zoomed in). I'll try and find a link to the article I read on that.

If OC already had a fast 50 (I count the 2.8-4 as only medium speed f4 and up, slow) then I would perhaps not splash the cash but I definitely think a 28, 30 or 35mm 1.4 or 1.8 would be a good way to go.