The DSLR thread

RobYob

Re: The DSLR thread

Post by RobYob »

Lenses. I still use the 70-300 F5.6 IS that I bought in Japan in 2002. It has now noticeably accumulated an annoying amount of crap inside it, a bunch of photos from Fairford airshow were spoiled as the bright sky small aperture made the dirt very obvious.

Is it possible or even worth getting it professionally cleaned? Or better to sell it as is and save for a new Tele? Although the DSLR only occasionally gets an outing these days.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

[mention]RobYob[/mention] getting it cleaned is definitely an option, if you can someone to do it. The prices I’ve seen have been ok, nowhere near the cost of a replacement lens.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Beany wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:42 am You bastards, I've just spent the last hour looking at used Canon DSLRs.

Don't think I can justify it yet, although it's nice to see that some of the older full frame jobbies have come down in price really nicely if you just want to snap in full frame.
Do you even need FF?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Beany wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:42 am You bastards, I've just spent the last hour looking at used Canon DSLRs.

Don't think I can justify it yet, although it's nice to see that some of the older full frame jobbies have come down in price really nicely if you just want to snap in full frame.
Do you even need FF?
Do you even need a Mustang? :lol:

It's piqued my interest in snapping again, tis all.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Beany wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:19 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14 pm

Do you even need FF?
Do you even need a Mustang? :lol:

It's piqued my interest in snapping again, tis all.
Of course I need a fucking Mustang! :twisted:

I see your point, just didn’t know if you needed one.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Despite what my mobile snaps may suggest, I do actually like taking *proper* pictures - I've just not had the time nor the scenery the last few years what with being in town these days, not out in the sticks.

I'll probably drag the 40D out and have a play with it before making any rash decisions though :lol:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:13 pm @RobYob getting it cleaned is definitely an option, if you can someone to do it. The prices I’ve seen have been ok, nowhere near the cost of a replacement lens.
Thanks, add that to my post lockdown todo list :)
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

JonMad wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:42 am I can't help thinking 24MP from a 5D mk3 would be, dare I say it, enough... With relatively smaller files to deal with as well.
This bit is worth honing in on. We spit out at work somewhere in the region of 400GB of images a day, spread among a team of photographers admittedly. I've got each one of them on the highest spec HP workstations we could get, but from a few years ago.

The compute time to convert those RAWs into TIFFs and DNGs for the 5DS cameras is significant. So much so when we run the files from the 5D4 we often double check it worked. I don't know why, but the processing time is not equal to doubling the number of files (25-50MP). None of this matters at all if the PC you process on at home is a sit and let it run while you have dinner, but if crunching through files quickly matters to you - a 5DS is going to cost anyone a new, bang up to date PC. Although in Lightroom which is our primary software, the time while in the Dev module isn't massively effected, just on export.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

My Canon 24-105mm USM IS II F4 has just turned up 8-)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:37 pm My Canon 24-105mm USM IS II F4 has just turned up 8-)
Just looked up the price of those. Nice purchase, that's a cracking all rounder lens 8-)

I've got a Sigma 18-200 that I've not used in years, since I got a 70-200 (second hand, and the non-IS version) and use a 40mm pancake or my GRII (18mm) for any wider angle duties. Anyone interested in it? Original box etc. :) Otherwise I should probably put it on eBay.
Left over crest; tightens.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

JonMad wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:47 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:37 pm My Canon 24-105mm USM IS II F4 has just turned up 8-)
Just looked up the price of those. Nice purchase, that's a cracking all rounder lens 8-)
I didn't pay full UK price, I went for one from HDEW instead and saved a fair whack. If it works out I'll be doing that again... 8-)

Some really good pictures this evening and I've pushed it a bit in low light, high F-stops, fast moving shots, high contrast shots and found it's very capable and I'm back to being the limiting factor in what my kit can do. Between that and the new camera body I'm taking noticeably better pictures and I'm only just getting into the advanced part of the user manuals 8-)
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

RobYob wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:04 pm Lenses. I still use the 70-300 F5.6 IS that I bought in Japan in 2002. It has now noticeably accumulated an annoying amount of crap inside it, a bunch of photos from Fairford airshow were spoiled as the bright sky small aperture made the dirt very obvious.

Is it possible or even worth getting it professionally cleaned? Or better to sell it as is and save for a new Tele? Although the DSLR only occasionally gets an outing these days.
A cheap ND filter to darken things down and hence allow a wider aperture may be cheaper/simple/quicker
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DaveE wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 pm
RobYob wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:04 pm Lenses. I still use the 70-300 F5.6 IS that I bought in Japan in 2002. It has now noticeably accumulated an annoying amount of crap inside it, a bunch of photos from Fairford airshow were spoiled as the bright sky small aperture made the dirt very obvious.

A cheap ND filter to darken things down and hence allow a wider aperture may be cheaper/simple/quicker
I was using a circular polariser at Fairford. I'm also a fan of just shooting everything at F8 anyway. The 75-300 isn't the sharpest lense anyway, sounds like a clean and service is well overdue.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

RobYob wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:47 pm

I was using a circular polariser at Fairford. I'm also a fan of just shooting everything at F8 anyway. The 75-300 isn't the sharpest lense anyway, sounds like a clean and service is well overdue.

"lense"?!? I hope that was deliberate... 😀
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DaveE wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:02 am
RobYob wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:47 pm

"lense"?!? I hope that was deliberate... 😀
I've never claimed to be able to spell lenses' or otherwise :P
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

All this talk of full frame, I’ve dusted off my old EOS 620 and ordered some B&W film stock from Amazon...

It was a gift from my father in law.

I predict I’ll shoot all three rolls, get the prints back and remember I’m not good enough to NOT have instant feedback on my exposure settings...😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

dinny_g wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:10 pm All this talk of full frame, I’ve dusted off my old EOS 620 and ordered some B&W film stock from Amazon...

It was a gift from my father in law.

I predict I’ll shoot all three rolls, get the prints back and remember I’m not good enough to NOT have instant feedback on my exposure settings...😂
And from there, you slow down, think a bit more about wtf you're doing and genuinely improve your photography ;)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Fair point Dave...

We’ll see how I get on...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I cheated when I used my Dad's Voightlander and used a light meter or my compact camera to check exposure settings.
Impressed to get a 1960s camera working with a modern speedlite though.
Left over crest; tightens.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

JonMad wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:15 am use my compact camera to check exposure settings.
That was my first thought...