Wi-Fi extenders

Swervin_Mervin

Wi-Fi extenders

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Anyone got any recommendations for Wi-Fi extenders? Preferably with pass through as the end of the house that struggles has limited sockets
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Wi-Fi extenders

Post by Jobbo »

The time I used one it was annoying - devices wouldn't automatically switch to it as you moved round, sticking to the main wifi point. You really need a mesh system; the BT Wifi one is supposed to be good value.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've got Devolo Magic 1s and they're ok. Wired and wireless with power passthrough.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I bought a couple of used bt hub5 routers, renamed them to the same ssid and switched off the dhcp servers and cabled them together with cat5. Makes for a reliable mesh network with good range and n 5ghz and ac wireless too. I think they were about £15 each delivered.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Not really sure I need Mesh, it seems like overkill for what I need - it's literally just one far corner of the house that suffers and it wouldn't be much of an issue but that atm I'm working from there, connecting on the 5Ghz. I've a Billion Bipac 8700 AXL and I'd not really want to make that largely superfluous to requirements. A powerline route makes the most sense to my non-techy brain, but the ones I have are knocking on a bit.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I've got a few of the cheap Devolo 500 Wi-Fi ones. Fast enough for normal browsing. The devices seem to switch between them ok.
Left over crest; tightens.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

If Eero did a UK version I’d recommend those based on feedback, but we went with the BT WholeHome solution and its been great.
Cheers,

Mike.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:57 pm Not really sure I need Mesh, it seems like overkill for what I need - it's literally just one far corner of the house that suffers and it wouldn't be much of an issue but that atm I'm working from there, connecting on the 5Ghz. I've a Billion Bipac 8700 AXL and I'd not really want to make that largely superfluous to requirements. A powerline route makes the most sense to my non-techy brain, but the ones I have are knocking on a bit.
Got my 4th BT Hub (an older hub4) in my garage on the end of a powerline (because i couldn't be bothered to dig and break up my concrete path and run a cat5 cable to the garage) it's the most unreliable part of my network although I have to run it through 1 RCD, it drops on occasion and the house connection is in my loft (so as to avoid a second RCD that totally kills the connection) so a reset involves a trip up there too.
When it craps out just before I'm due to start my first conference call of the day I usually contemplate doing it properly and then look at the path and think fuck it!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:57 pm Not really sure I need Mesh, it seems like overkill for what I need - it's literally just one far corner of the house that suffers and it wouldn't be much of an issue but that atm I'm working from there, connecting on the 5Ghz. I've a Billion Bipac 8700 AXL and I'd not really want to make that largely superfluous to requirements. A powerline route makes the most sense to my non-techy brain, but the ones I have are knocking on a bit.
Connect on 2.4ghz? It penetrates walls better (5ghz bounces around, try opening some doors?)

Yeah, probably a stupid suggestion, but better to have a stupid question asked, than to drop money on something you may no need.

2.4ghz is plenty fast enough for most stuff.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 am
Connect on 2.4ghz? It penetrates walls better (5ghz bounces around, try opening some doors?)

Yeah, probably a stupid suggestion, but better to have a stupid question asked, than to drop money on something you may no need.

2.4ghz is plenty fast enough for most stuff.
Yeah I had thought about that. Will give it a try ta. Had it on 5ghz as thought it would be best for work purposes.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Make a reflector for the router.

Seriously.

Some tinfoil, or a colander etc - it really does help extend the range/signal.

(I have a Google Wifi unit sat on some foil floor insulator stuff and that really made a difference)

JonathanE

Post by JonathanE »

I've tried all sorts of things which didn't work (Virgin power line-type extender, various Netgear extenders, other Powerline ones). We eventually bit the bullet a few months ago and got the TP-Link Deco M5 which have been excellent so far (touch wood) - not cheap, but worth it in terms of saved aggravation particularly when we now have a household of five all at home caning the Internet.

Jonathan
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

To save starting another thread, roughly how long can a cat5e cable be before you start getting issues?

One of my tasks for this summer was to build a summerhouse at the end of the garden and assuming running a cable ( as I'll be running electric down there anyway ) will work better than trying to setup some super strong wifi network.
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:21 am To save starting another thread, roughly how long can a cat5e cable be before you start getting issues?

One of my tasks for this summer was to build a summerhouse at the end of the garden and assuming running a cable ( as I'll be running electric down there anyway ) will work better than trying to setup some super strong wifi network.
I have similar plans. Whether or not I actually get around to doing it is another thing but I'd be interested to know.
Simon

Post by Simon »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:21 am To save starting another thread, roughly how long can a cat5e cable be before you start getting issues?

100m is the spec.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, 90m is as far as we go on sites.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Will this give better bandwidth than a Powerline adapter? I suppose it's worth it if you're running cables anyway.
Left over crest; tightens.
Beany

Post by Beany »

JonMad wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:34 pm

Will this give better bandwidth than a Powerline adapter? I suppose it's worth it if you're running cables anyway.
Yes. You should only use powerline when wifi or a CAT5e (preferably CAT6) cable isn't an option.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep always run cat5e and just stick a router on the end, infinitely better. We used to run it properly, as in fitting conduit close to a metre deep but found that mice would end up moving into it and after a few years it would collapse anyway. Now I just use a lawn edging spade, quickly cut a little line in, push direct burial Cat5e in to the slot. Worked well for years with no problems.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Beany wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:29 pm
JonMad wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:34 pm

Yes. You should only use powerline when wifi or a CAT5e (preferably CAT6) cable isn't an option.
As fun as it is to run Cat6a (note the a!) everywhere, you have to remember that Cat5e is within spec for 1Gbps at 100m and now 2.5Gbps also. It will run 5Gbps and even 10Gbps at shorter runs, although out of spec. Realistically though, you're not going to get any problems assuming decent termination and equipment at each end.
The artist formerly known as _Who_