Nathan

Re: Computer Chairs?

Post by Nathan »

Just got a Humanscale Freedom with headrest

Makes an Aeron seem like a stool.
Simon

Post by Simon »

How do you find the lumbar? Too pronounced or just right? It's the front runner to replace my cheaper chair that I picked up at the end of last year just to spend my WFH allowance before it expired.

And yes, After 15 years of sitting on them I find the Aeron hugely over-rated for someone of my height.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

First day today admittedly so my opinions may change

I'm 5'9 (and a half) and skinny.

It is quite upright unless you lean back into it but the shoulder support it good. I think it will encourage better posture.

Beware it doesn't lock although there are some DIY mods to make it do so.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've bought a Secretlab Titan to replace my 20yo secondhand (originally bought by the Coca Cola Company) Steelcase Leap v1. Should be arriving next week (ordered at the end of November, so have waited long enough). I'm quite excited!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

I hate to be that guy....

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've tried the Aeron before and it was instantaneous comfort, vs the Ikea Markus for example which was instantaneously crippling (a bit like Vauxhall seats)

I finally upgraded from the dining room to a new desk in the spare room and after going round in circles in terms of what chair to get, I found this:

ImageSidiz T50 ergonomic chair

Not much in the way of reviews but those that I did find were positive. Made in S. Korea on the box so things were immediately looking positive when it arrived - and it actually had written instructions rather than just pictures, which themselves came in a presentation style box! Bit weird. The whole seat frame and stand are metal, as are the arm bases - went together very well, and seems like a really quality item, unlike most stuff in this price range.

Immense range of adjustment - lumbar height, tilt and depth, seat back tilt/tilt lock, seat depth, arm height, arm swivel. I struggle with chairs and car seats as I have a relatively long back and it curves in a lot at the base, so I find decent lumbar support crucial, but I've had it 6 weeks now and it's awesome.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

We (my furniture dept) sell millions (well, probably thousands) of Sidiz chairs - they're very good value.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Beany wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:04 pm I hate to be that guy....

I've bought one of the less gaudy ones and based my decision on opinions from people who have them. We'll see!
---
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:05 pm We (my furniture dept) sell millions (well, probably thousands) of Sidiz chairs - they're very good value.
I'm well impressed. It seemed to me there were two extremes - pay £400+ for a Miller or Humanscale etc (or go 2nd hand) or pay around the £150-250 mark for some no name crap that would be awful in 6mo if it wasn't to start with. I don't mind paying for good stuff, but I have other drains on my wallet at present so wanted to keep costs down. But I resent paying what is still quite a bit of money for something that's incomparably shite.

This seemed to be the only high quality option at that lower price point. :)
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:06 pm I've bought one of the less gaudy ones and based my decision on opinions from people who have them. We'll see!
Yeha, I did have a look and it does look a bit more sensible and less 'cheap bucket frame with a badge' than a lot of the normal 'gaming' chairs, so fingers crossed it's a bit more sensible!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I was quite sceptical at first, but was convinced by their opinions. If it falls, it is a lesson learnt.
---
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

We got an IKEA Markus for the boy as he’s spent far too long using a dining chair. He seems happy with it and his posture has definitely improved.
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:55 pm I've tried the Aeron before and it was instantaneous comfort, vs the Ikea Markus for example which was instantaneously crippling (a bit like Vauxhall seats)

I finally upgraded from the dining room to a new desk in the spare room and after going round in circles in terms of what chair to get, I found this:

ImageSidiz T50 ergonomic chair

Not much in the way of reviews but those that I did find were positive. Made in S. Korea on the box so things were immediately looking positive when it arrived - and it actually had written instructions rather than just pictures, which themselves came in a presentation style box! Bit weird. The whole seat frame and stand are metal, as are the arm bases - went together very well, and seems like a really quality item, unlike most stuff in this price range.

Immense range of adjustment - lumbar height, tilt and depth, seat back tilt/tilt lock, seat depth, arm height, arm swivel. I struggle with chairs and car seats as I have a relatively long back and it curves in a lot at the base, so I find decent lumbar support crucial, but I've had it 6 weeks now and it's awesome.
What price and where from? I bought the IKEA Markus and I.m not getting away with it. I also find it’s auto brakes really stupid.

Sorry, didn’t spot the link.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I’ve not been following this thread but I’ve been sitting on a wooden kitchen chair for the last seven months, last week was a long week and at risk of TMI - my bottom was quite numb by the end of it. So snap decision, I’ve ordered one of those Sidiz chairs. Should be arriving Tuesday.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:14 am I’ve not been following this thread but I’ve been sitting on a wooden kitchen chair for the last seven months, last week was a long week and at risk of TMI - my bottom was quite numb by the end of it.
I was the same - started getting a numb leg and toes! Now wondering why the f**k I spent 7mo sitting on a wooden dining room chair. :roll:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:14 am I’ve not been following this thread but I’ve been sitting on a wooden kitchen chair for the last seven months, last week was a long week and at risk of TMI - my bottom was quite numb by the end of it. So snap decision, I’ve ordered one of those Sidiz chairs. Should be arriving Tuesday.
7 months!! I think I bailed on a kitchen chair after about 7 weeks max in around May/June of last year.

Admittedly it was a silly replica Eames DSR which is about as uncomfortable as you could get but still!
tim

Post by tim »

Being somewhat of an aviation geek, I commissioned an office chair from local aircradt seat manufacturers Mirus. It's basically their Hawk aircraft seat on wheels. I bloody love it! I sit in it for 8-10 hours a day without any issues.

https://www.mirus-as.com/products/the-hawk/

As a bonus, their factory is the old Lotus Racing F1 place in Hingham, where I ran a project for a bit in 2010. 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

My Secretlab Titan arrived yesterday and so far I'm very impressed. Assembly was easy and it all feels chunky, solid and like quality kit.

The seat base is much firmer than my old chair and while it takes some getting used to, I'm more comfortable and so far have had none of the muscle pain in my shoulder/chest/arm I got with the old chair.

I'm shifting a bit more and turn the chair rather than my head when switching screens, so that's probably part of it.

Liking it so far!
---
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Nathan wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:18 pm Just got a Humanscale Freedom with headrest

Thanks for the recommendation, I swapped my ikea marcus for one of these 3 weeks ago. Every morning, I seemed to have a slightly stiff/sore back when getting out of bed, but I realised today that this disappeared at least a week ago.

Edit: this site was a lot cheaper than John Lewis and delviered within 48 hours. https://www.back2.co.uk/humanscale-free ... -grey.html
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

MikeHunt wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:08 pm
Nathan wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:18 pm Just got a Humanscale Freedom with headrest

Thanks for the recommendation, I swapped my ikea marcus for one of these 3 weeks ago. Every morning, I seemed to have a slightly stiff/sore back when getting out of bed, but I realised today that this disappeared at least a week ago.

Edit: this site was a lot cheaper than John Lewis and delviered within 48 hours. https://www.back2.co.uk/humanscale-free ... -grey.html
Great to hear that, do you feel that it forces you to sit a little upright and rely on your core ?