Computer Chairs?

Beany

Re: Computer Chairs?

Post by Beany »

Looking at new chairs in the office today (at work).

Apparently we have a budget of 'under £100'.

Yeah, cheers CEO, we only spend 8 hours a fucking day in them....

Current chairs were all cheap a few years ago, and are all rapidly approaching being knackered, and half the office has been getting back problems since they started working here.

Funny that.

I suggested Ikea Markus as a reasonable compromise, but the person in charge of this 'doesn't like ikea'. :roll:

So we'll likely get another set of slightly fancy looking pleather 'executive' chairs that fuck your back and break in three years.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:40 pm
So we'll likely get another set of slightly fancy looking pleather 'executive' chairs
Like the Ikea Markus? ;)

Tried my colleagues and it's a big fat no from me. Awful. Backs are funny things though eh, and what's great for one can be awful for another.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have two Ikea Volmars (fabric at the office, leather at home) and they’ve been great. But they don’t make them any more and nothing in the current range looks equivalent.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Beany wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:40 pm Looking at new chairs in the office today (at work).

Apparently we have a budget of 'under £100'.

Yeah, cheers CEO, we only spend 8 hours a fucking day in them....

Current chairs were all cheap a few years ago, and are all rapidly approaching being knackered, and half the office has been getting back problems since they started working here.

Funny that.

I suggested Ikea Markus as a reasonable compromise, but the person in charge of this 'doesn't like ikea'. :roll:

So we'll likely get another set of slightly fancy looking pleather 'executive' chairs that fuck your back and break in three years.
Leave because they're cunts?
Beany

Post by Beany »

It's getting to that stage. That would require actually behaving like an adult professional though, which sounds like effort....
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

When my boss complained I had spent more than my £30 allowance on work boots I took steps and left the company. Some things are important.

Do the same.

Dave!
GG.

Post by GG. »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:27 am When my boss complained I had spent more than my £30 allowance on work boots I took steps and left the company. Some things are important.
Comfortable, well protected steps - presumably? ;)
Beany

Post by Beany »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:27 am When my boss complained I had spent more than my £30 allowance on work boots I took steps and left the company. Some things are important.

Do the same.

Dave!
Yeah, I'm chewing over my CV and seeing what useful transferable skills I've picked up here - I'm really not a huge fan of telecoms having worked here.

Got a couple of 'red lines' that I'll bring up over the next few weeks and see if they get crossed. If they do, I'll be taking a much more detailed look at the jobs market.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

GG. wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:56 am
Comfortable, well protected steps - presumably? ;)
I only work in Dickies 8-)

Brant, do it, finding a job when you already have a job is a great position to be in.

Dave!
GG.

Post by GG. »

So despite toying with the idea of an Eames soft pad chair I actually found a Aeron available in the bigger size (C) for £350 (RRP is £1000) on eBay.

Not as attractive but a better proposition for something I'm going to sit in for 12 hours a day and if I end up spending more time working from home in the long run, it will be worth it.

Going to pick it up on Monday and give the Smart (which has been sat for a month) a run out.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Good catch, used aerons are definitely more palatable price wise, and the spare parts means that they can be rebuilt decently.

Must admit, after some six weeks of using my office chair, I'm pretty sure my back is complaining a bit, but not as much as it used to when I was actually *at work* in their God awful furniture.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My aeron must be 15years old at least, it’s still fine and works well. They’re pretty bullet proof tbh. (Bloody heavy too!)
GG.

Post by GG. »

Took a trip out to the Essex Badlands today to collect my chair - presumably permitted now as I'm now staying alert rather than staying at home :ugeek:

Very pleased with the condition of it overall - somewhat surprising given it was being sold out of a shipping container behind a van rental place :lol:
It actually has blue mesh rather than the normal black, which I quite like. Largely academic as I couldn't find any others in the larger size.

Rich is certainly correct about the weight - I need the lumbar support now having put my back out lifting it above my head to get it up and over the bannister and up the tight staircase into the top room

Definitely prefer my setup at home to the office - I can see green out the window for a start and can also listen to my open back headphones!

Simon

Post by Simon »

Changes don't take effect till Wednesday so expect a fine in the post.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

I think that applies to sunbathing in your local park - I certainly wasn't going to hang out with him catching rays outside his shipping container :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:53 pm Changes don't take effect till Wednesday so expect a fine in the post.
The guidelines don't accord with the regulations (there's nothing in those about 'essential travel' for instance) and the regulations may have been put in place without proper constitutional formalities in any case, so it's good to know Boris is increasing the amount of the fines. I doubt they'd worry GG though :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

GG. wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:10 pm

I had the same, they date from 2001

I had to change the central bearing for £1 from eBay and now looking to buy another at £150
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've just bought the below after Nathan (I think) flagged them on a thread a while ago. Great looking chair and means I have two copy Eames chairs in the house.

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

McSwede wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:34 pm I've just bought the below after Nathan (I think) flagged them on a thread a while ago. Great looking chair and means I have two copy Eames chairs in the house.

Now you've had this one a while, what's the quality like? And is the (presumably) faux leather good?

I need to furnish our new boardroom; I was hoping there would be more unwanted boardroom table and chair sets on eBay but it seems not :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 pm
McSwede wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:34 pm I've just bought the below after Nathan (I think) flagged them on a thread a while ago. Great looking chair and means I have two copy Eames chairs in the house.

Now you've had this one a while, what's the quality like? And is the (presumably) faux leather good?

I need to furnish our new boardroom; I was hoping there would be more unwanted boardroom table and chair sets on eBay but it seems not :lol:
I really like the chair as it feels well made and is comfy plus it looks good. The pleather is more at the plastic end of the spectrum and can be a little sweaty.

My biggest issue was delivery. It showed in stock when I ordered it but it took just over 12 weeks to arrive as it was in stock in China. It took a very slow boat to Ireland followed by a slow journey here. They were bloody useless to talk to as well. A very polite zero fucks given 😂

I like it, but don't think I'd buy another TBH.