Computer Chairs?

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Computer Chairs?

Post by Matty »

I need a new computer chair. Any recommendations? Ideally I'm looking at only spending £100, I don't spend my life in it, nor do I want some garish monstrosity that the streamers use, just a decent, high-backed comfy chair.

I may be wanting the moon on a stick, as other recommendations seem to be pushing close to £250-300 for something that's actually 'decent'.
Nathan

Re: Computer Chairs?

Post by Nathan »

Ikea Marcus

edit: no longer £100 ! Now £180 :o
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

My first one costed £85! Great chairs for that price.
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

Nathan wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:38 pm Ikea Marcus

Seem to get a lot of them 2nd hand on the bay....

£30 cheaper new for a grey one
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Today I missed out on a used Herman Miller Aeron for £30 on Facebook marketplace

I wanted to send a Shiply man+van to collect (120 miles away) but the seller only wanted cash on collection

I contemplated telling him how he was only robbing himself selling it £200 underpriced...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Nathan wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:38 pm Ikea Marcus

Colleague has one of these and I find it astoundingly uncomfortable. Like it's pushing me off the seat base. The plasti-leather doesn't help.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ive got this one. I find its great. Had it a few years. I WFH most of the time so it gets well used as well and still looks like new.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/millberget ... -70339413/
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I stole an Aeron many years ago from an ungrateful client. They’re good, but I wouldn’t pay the hundreds they cost when there are far cheaper decent chairs that are just as comfortable (that I can tbf steal from other places.)

Mesh backs are essential in operators chairs though imo.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I've got a Flintan at home, which is fine for short stretches but christ on a bike the base is firm and after a few hours of being in it, it starts to get uncomfortable. Probably sitting in it wrong, mind.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/flintan-no ... s59208197/

Been solid as a rock, even with my 'generous' frame. Concur with Rich about the mesh back thing though, I do prefer that.

Aerons make more sense at a few hundred quid refurbed (and I mean proper refurbed - re-powdercoated, not just 'bought broken, fixed with parts) rather than the grand they want new. I always found them supremely easy to sit in for hours at a time.

Best idea though is, as always, try some and see what suits yer frame.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

My only criticism of the Aeron is basically down to me sitting badly. I sometimes tuck one foot under the other knee, and the Aeron has curved up edges which makes this impossible.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

My Marcus has done OK, it must be about 7 years old now and gets used a minimum of 3 days a week. The base I think is actual leather but the headrest is not, it's just pleather and it's now starting to split a bit. It's not as a comfortable as an Aeron or the other HM chairs but then at only just over £100 when I got it it was 10% of the cost new. I still look occasionally for a used Aeron as my boy could use a new chair and he could have the Markus. Overall I can't complain for the money though.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Tried the Ikea Markus, not overly impressed TBH. Couldn't get comfy. The Millberget that Scotta mentioned was much better - I might grab one of those next time I'm there...not sure I'd have crammed the box into the Evora.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I'm on my 2nd Marcus at home. The first one lasted 8 years so I'm pretty happy with that.

When I got the seat for my sim rig, the other BMW front seat had gone to someone who had converted it into an office chair.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

OK so I sat in a Herman Miller Sayl at the weekend and now I need to have one!

Instantaneously comfortable and provided immediate relief to my general lower back ache I've had recently. £670 at John Lewis though the cheeky twots! :shock:
mik

Post by mik »

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Yeah I was looking on ebay. But fear of unknown wear levels, and volume of old farts stored in the seat is putting me off.

I hadn't realised there's umpteen spec options for these, so I need to check what the John Lewis one was specced with.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

3 things you shouldn’t cheap out on, your bed, sofa and your office chair. But people will spend a third of their lives on a shit ikea bed, spend another third in a shit chair and then the rest in a shit sofa whilst spending a fortune on a car which they spend the least amount of time in.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:05 pm 3 things you shouldn’t cheap out on, your bed, sofa and your office chair. But people will spend a third of their lives on a shit ikea bed, spend another third in a shit chair and then the rest in a shit sofa whilst spending a fortune on a car which they spend the least amount of time in.
Not everyone has a rich daddy to buy them a nice bed/sofa/chair though...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

You can spend a lot of money on an inappropriate mattress, chair, sofa, car...

Nothing much wrong with Ikea beds. I don’t have one, but they’re absolutely fine and good value.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Marcus here, good chair and in-line with reviews on interweb.