Outdoor speakers

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Outdoor speakers

Post by IanF »

My parents want some speakers for outdoors. They have mains power outside and want to fit weatherproof, permanent speakers that ideally will connect to the Sonos kit the have indoors. I hoped there were some speakers that would only require power and could connect wirelessly but nothing has jumped out. So I then had a look at Bose 151 speakers, connecting them through a Sonos connect:amp , but that’d involve running speaker wires from inside as the amp isn’t waterproof.

Does anyone have a better solution, or do I convince them that a portable speaker, such as the Beolit 17, would be a better idea?

And why doesn’t Sonos just do outdoor speakers!?
Cheers,

Ian
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: Outdoor speakers

Post by 240PP »

How loud/powerful do they need? Would something Bluetooth be any good?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I think it’s a couple of issues with Bluetooth speakers - having to recharge them and not having the music continue as you go outside. I think they’d be powerful enough.
Cheers,

Ian
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Just get normal ones and tape a bin bag over them 😎
Cheers, Harry
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Sonos Play:1 and One are "humidity-resistant" and fine to use in bathrooms, kitchens etc where it gets steamy. I'd think they'll be fine as long as they're not going somewhere they'd get directly rained on - under a canopy would be OK though.

Connect:amp (or if you scour ebay, the older ZP100 is fine too) plus genuinely waterproof speakers is the way to go though if they can't be covered up and must live out there.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I'd suggest a BT speaker like a Bose Soundlink Mini - something like 12hrs run time, charges via a USB cable (but also as a dock).

Use a phone/tablet as the source - means anyone else can use their phone/tablet too.

Rugged, small, great sound (for the size - certainly good enough unless they're planning on a big party).

Cheap, simple etc.
scotta

Post by scotta »

DaveE wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:06 am I'd suggest a BT speaker like a Bose Soundlink Mini - something like 12hrs run time, charges via a USB cable (but also as a dock).

Use a phone/tablet as the source - means anyone else can use their phone/tablet too.

Rugged, small, great sound (for the size - certainly good enough unless they're planning on a big party).

Cheap, simple etc.
the soundlink mini 2 is excellent. I have one. Unfortunately Bose have discontinued them now.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

scotta wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:01 pm
DaveE wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:06 am I'd suggest a BT speaker like a Bose Soundlink Mini - something like 12hrs run time, charges via a USB cable (but also as a dock).

Cheap, simple etc.
the soundlink mini 2 is excellent. I have one. Unfortunately Bose have discontinued them now.
Have a look at the UE Boom series in that case - just as good (if not better in some eyes/ears - they seem to have more clarity than the Bose at the expensive of the Bose's bottom end)

You can also use UEs as a stereo pair, should that be of interest/use.

Given their price and simplicity, I'd suggest this as a first option - see how much they use them, maybe something this cheap/simple will be good enough - they can always upgrade later and either use the BT speaker(s) elsewhere or sell them on...