Any Train nerds ?

V8Granite

Any Train nerds ?

Post by V8Granite »

As all you losers seems to be playing with yourself while wearing a VR headset, is anyone still playing with toy trains :D

I raised my boys set up 40cm as it was killing my knees, plus it means I have the option of a turntable and even a rolling stick storage area.

Currently just a shunter, a class 66 working engine and the mighty Western Spirit which is used for fast work on the mainline 8-)

All digital which makes running them far easier. It’s a fantastic way to zone out and relax.

I shall be adding a steam shunting engine, plus possibly a modern equivilant to the Western Spirit. It will be hard not to buy a class 55 of some sort and some heavy carriages for it.

Dave!
ShockDiamonds

Re: Any Train nerds ?

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I’ve had the beginnings of a layout in build for ages. Sadly, we haven’t progressed beyond the beginning. Will post pics at some point but all trains and rolling stock are packed away at this point as wife is using the surrounding area for present wrapping :?
Richard

Post by Richard »

My dad had a set up like that in the loft of my Grandparents house, from his youth. I remember thinking it was very cool, especially as it was in the loft!!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We put some carpet down, bought a Class 55 Deltic, extended the storage yard and made a piece to go over the loft hatch to stop the kids falling down it.

I’m enjoying this far more than expected :lol:

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My dad bought us a Lima set with Class 66 engine and carriage set when we were kids.

Because if this, we all got into building Linka kits which I enjoyed a lot more than the train sets... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I highly recommend getting cheap used engines off eBay and buying a chipset and converting them to dcc, only takes a bit of basic soldering but it’s a good skill to teach the kids and a way to make it interesting
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We have a shop called Trains 4 U in town where we get second hand trains from, plus all the track etc. It’s a gold mine but also a way to blow far more money than expected.

They had a weathered 55 Deltic with a light and sound chip in slowly driving round with the Deltic surge playing loudly, bastards!! :lol:

Dave!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

jamcg wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:56 am I highly recommend getting cheap used engines off eBay
This. And I never went down the dcc route myself, although I stil harbour desires of going back in time 35 years and creating Zero1 from scratch :)
mik

Post by mik »

I strongly suspect this do not be real.... but it still made me smirk....

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That’s fantastic :lol:

Off to the train show tomorrow, expect a hugely exciting update soon !!!!!!

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

My dad got me into trains as early as humanly possible I've a few sets, favourite being the Lima Intercity 125 set I got at Christmas when I was about 8.

Currently having the "shall we move in 5 years or extend instead" discussion with the wife. If we go the extension route I could end up with a 25 foot office room downstairs, at least part of which I could dedicate to a Scalextric/Train area for me and the boy to play in....
The artist formerly known as _Who_
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Make it happen 8-)

My youngest is really enjoying doing the points and it’s great fun sitting up there doing it with him. Keeps him focused for about 90 minutes which is nice.

Only bought 7 trucks and a diesel shed but was a great show, some hugely talented people about.

Dave!
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:27 pm Image
8-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Is that a Morning Star? I have a Morning Star and my dad has similar coloured carriages by Triang in 00 that it sometimes pulls.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

That McVities van looks familar :)

IIRC mine is full of rice :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Simon wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:44 pm Is that a Morning Star? I have a Morning Star and my dad has similar coloured carriages by Triang in 00 that it sometimes pulls.
It’s the Western Spirit but I’ve seen a few different names on them now.

Have added a shed, 2 more de-couplers and a king siding for my car transporter. It’s now possible to move all the freight or carriages by any engine by only touching the points, which will always be manual due to the tactile snickitiness of them, this level of relaxation could end all war 8-)

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Train simulator 2020 is currently $1 ( with a couple of dlc packs) on humblebundle.

I've never really had any desire to play it, but for less than £1 I'll give it a go :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:59 pm Train simulator 2020 is currently $1 ( with a couple of dlc packs) on humblebundle.

I've never really had any desire to play it, but for less than £1 I'll give it a go :lol:
Thanks for this. Already have TS2020 but the addons on the $12 bundle make purchasing that again worthwhile.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Y'see now, I love sims and still like playing AC, plus I'm really looking forward to Microsoft's flight sim 2020, but train sims? Nah - all that effort to then chug along at 50mph.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

We’re just about to have the loft boarded, this thread isn’t helping...

The other half’s father is currently mid way through building a layout and it’s taking up a fair chunk of his double garage 8-)
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace