Microsoft Flight Simulator

RobYob

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator

Post by RobYob »

Ascender wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:45 pm Unfortunately I don’t have a gaming PC at the moment, but I see its also due out on Xbox One at a later date.
Wonder if it'll be enabled for any of the streaming services. Seems like a perfect fit if you've the internet connection to support it.

I did have a laugh at the Buckingham housing estate and sunken HMS Belfast on the Obsidianant video I saw.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m look at joysticks for this, might just go for the official one or maybe a cheaper Logitech. Not like they have force feedback so can’t see why they’re so expensive.
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Better bearings and switches and possibly software I guess. Reading about HOTAS use in Elite Dangerous people seem to break some brands regularly.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Seeing as we're so close to release I may as well admit that I've been on the Alpha program (now beta) for a number of months for this. It's bloody great. There's still some work to be done on some of the larger cities, but the nature of that beast is that the worldscape will always be a work in progress.

I've a LOT invested in P3D over the years but I've largely stopped using that since I got on the MSFS Alpha. I never got aboard the P3Dv5 train even.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I’d love this but having not played a game on a PC for years I have no idea if mine would run it or not!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just buy it on Steam and ask for a refund if you PC can’t run it, you usually get refunded after a few hours.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:57 am Just buy it on Steam and ask for a refund if you PC can’t run it, you usually get refunded after a few hours.
Oh really, I didn’t know that.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, also very useful for any games you find disappointing. You can ask for a refund as long as you’ve played under 2 hours.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Well on the Microsoft site it says the minimum requirements are 8gb which I have, Intel i5-4460, I have an Intel i5-3450S and it says you need NVIDIA GTX 770, I have NVIDIA GT 620.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Time for a few upgrades. Gt620 is 8 years old now, it will be holding you back more than the processor.

Is it a desktop computer?

Upgrades for old stuff can be pretty cheap and transform the experience. My boys gaming pc is based on similarly ancient architecture yet plays all the modern stuff he wants to play just fine. As long as you’re not expecting 120fps 4K :lol:
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:48 pm Time for a few upgrades. Gt620 is 8 years old now, it will be holding you back more than the processor.

Is it a desktop computer?

Upgrades for old stuff can be pretty cheap and transform the experience. My boys gaming pc is based on similarly ancient architecture yet plays all the modern stuff he wants to play just fine. As long as you’re not expecting 120fps 4K :lol:
Yes, a Dell if it makes a difference, God I didn't realise it was that old, I stuck an SSD in it last year and it performs like a new machine although it's very loud for some reason, I stuck a supposedly silent fan in it but it made no difference. Can you recommend upgraded? I wouldn't know if what I was looking at was good, bad or indifferent. Are they easy enough to fit?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Dell's can be tricky as the motherboards and bios' can often be bespoke.

The original graphics card is a standard GT620 not some dell only option?

According to here even a dinky GT1030 which is cheap n cheerful is a 300% upgrade. :o
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The only dell I’ve messed with was even older than that and managed to transform if for not very much money.

Can you get a pic of the exact model name, any codes on it, photo with the side panel removed?

If it will take it, an i5 3570 Will outperform a 4460 and cost £25 from cex with two year warranty, then just memory and graphics to look at.
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ok, the exact model is Dell Inspiron 660S, I've taken a picture of a label on the top of the case if that helps. I took the surround off the fan to give a better view.

Simon

Post by Simon »

Thx for Windows product key

</scribbles>
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Simon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:53 pm Thx for Windows product key

</scribbles>
You're welcome! It was for the XPC code, I thought that might be relevant, the software is a clone of my Windows 10 laptop, the hard drive with that version of Windows 7 on failed a long time ago.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:59 pm
Simon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:53 pm Thx for Windows product key

</scribbles>
You're welcome! It was for the XPC code, I thought that might be relevant, the software is a clone of my Windows 10 laptop, the hard drive with that version of Windows 7 on failed a long time ago.
I was joking :P
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Got a Logitech yoke, pedals and throttle system which works quite well, so will be using that.

As mentioned you can refund through Steam, but don’t hang around. They’ll review your request and if it’s more than a few hours of gameplay, they’ll say no.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Well if I can upgrade my PC I'll be investing in a decent control system too. Can anyone tell me from the pictures I posted if I can upgrade mine?