Microsoft Flight Simulator

integrale_evo

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, no point spending loads on something you might not use much, but at least if you get a properly built system it should be easy enough to drop a better card in at a later date if you enjoy using it.

That’s the main problem with most prebuilts, especially with the smaller cases, they work fine as they are but upgrade options are very limited, often impossible.
Cheers, Harry
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Problem I’m now seeing is that in order to upgrade the CPU (although I don’t think I need to do it for FS2020) I’m going to need to change the mobo as the socket is different for the newer i9s IIRC.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

They’ve gone in pairs for the last few generations 6/7000 run on a 200 board, 8/9000 on a 300 board, current 10th gen need another new board.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

At the moment if you're gonna change the board anyway then switch to AMD. Current Zen 2 CPUs are stonking, are far better VFM than their Intel equivalents and run a lot cooler. It's a no-brainer.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, intel really seem to have dropped the ball over the last couple of years, although in a lot of games a old 9900k still matches or beats the newest ryzens despite lagging miles behind on synthetic performance benchmarks 🤷🏻‍♂️
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:52 pm Yeah, intel really seem to have dropped the ball over the last couple of years, although in a lot of games a old 9900k still matches or beats the newest ryzens despite lagging miles behind on synthetic performance benchmarks 🤷🏻‍♂️
Single vs Multicore performance.

Intel does the former better, which is what most games still rely on.
Matty

Post by Matty »

I've been watching a few videos on this - some of the details are insane.

Night flying is seriously impressive, you can even see the individual street lights, check out this from 19:00 if it doesn't take you right there:

Simon

Post by Simon »

I found my house in it a few weeks ago. It's really slick.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m guessing it has to be in Bing Maps 3D otherwise it’s will just be a procedurally generated building? Still should have my flat there. I always select my seat on the right hand side of the plane for the flights back to Heathrow so I can grab a picture :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve ordered the Thrustmaster Hotas X from Argos for £60 as it’s the cheapest known brand joystick with throttle control, should be an upgrade on my 15 year old no brand one anyway :lol:
Should be able to use my G29 pedals for rudder controls.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Well new computer is ordered along with the Thrustmaster joystick mito mentioned. I shall get excited now!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s a surprisingly hefty joystick, well pleased with that. It even twists for rudder control which I thought was something only the newer really expensive Thrustmaster did.

Bought the flight sim last night as I thought Steam would do the usual download then unlock it on launch day but that’s not the case. The server’s gonna be a right mess on Tuesday :lol:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Play a bit of Elite Dangerous with "Flight Assist" off to get your eye in :lol:
Matty

Post by Matty »

Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't think I said before, but even in it's Alpha then Beta state it was amazing. Most people won't be disappointed. Sure you'll see a few who are financially and emotionally invested in X-Plane or Prepar3d, but really they need to make some huge jumps right now just to stay in the game.

As an old school MSFS player, I was upset when MS disbanded ACES (the team behind the old FS sims a decade+ ago). With Asobo they've really pulled something special out of the bag.
scotta

Post by scotta »

I’m a bit out of the hardware game theses days and can’t be fucked building a gaming rig. Is there an off the shelf machine these days that will run this decently?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

scotta wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:50 am I’m a bit out of the hardware game theses days and can’t be fucked building a gaming rig. Is there an off the shelf machine these days that will run this decently?
This should do nicely.

edit: I've just looked at the Cray II wikipedia page
In 2012, Piotr Luszczek (a former doctoral student of Jack Dongarra), presented results showing that an iPad 2 matched the historical performance of the Cray-2 on an embedded LINPACK benchmark.
:shock:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Wait and see how zonda gets on with his and then buy one of those.
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:32 am Wait and see how zonda gets on with his and then buy one of those.
Just what I was going to say! It arrived yesterday and the game is downloading updates now. Unfortunately my monitor does not have an HDMI port so I’ve got it plugged in to my tv but no matter what settings I try I can’t get the resolution right. I’ve got an HDMI to DVI lead coming something today so I should be able to use the monitor then. I’ll report back later but I’m seriously impressed at the speeds it can download at!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:31 am
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:32 am Wait and see how zonda gets on with his and then buy one of those.
Just what I was going to say! It arrived yesterday and the game is downloading updates now. Unfortunately my monitor does not have an HDMI port so I’ve got it plugged in to my tv but no matter what settings I try I can’t get the resolution right. I’ve got an HDMI to DVI lead coming something today so I should be able to use the monitor then. I’ll report back later but I’m seriously impressed at the speeds it can download at!
What did you order?