Microsoft Flight Simulator

integrale_evo

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, pretty sure it’s aimed at casuals (like me) who just want to fly about looking at pretty things, but with a bit more depth for those who want to get a bit more into it.

A bit like gran turismo and forza aren’t arcade racers, but don’t have the depth of a full sim.

The scenery model really doesn’t like steep slopes, as if there’s some sort of maximum gradient it can apply to height changes, which means when flying around mountains you often see roads and rivers warped to the side of them at some bizarre angles.

Bit of a bug with the graphical settings too, tried it at vsync 30fps, but it only runs at a stuttery 20fps. Try it at 20fps and it runs at 15 so I’m just leaving it unlocked and putting up with the noise my machine makes.

I had heard that 30 was fine because it’s a relatively slow paced game so was keen to lock it to that but bump up the other settings.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

If you are minded to lock in at a particular FPS, then if you have an Nvidia card and use Nvidia inspector, lock it in using that app rather than MSFS itself. The game engine has always been bad at vsync, going back years.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Unless you’re getting screen tear it’s better turned off.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

This is the only games I’ve had issues with it on, I generally run everything at 60fps vsync, I just find it smoother and better looking as well as the computer running quieter than trying to pump out a billion wasted frames unless you’re playing an FPS and rely on twitch reactions.
Cheers, Harry
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Autopilot in some planes driving me mad, cannot seem to smooth it out no matter what I do. The physics engine is pretty impressive though, and the daunting feeling of seeing ice build is very well done. Cabin reflections are also spot on. It’s been 20 years since I last flew a Cessna (did a PPL in my early 20s) and I’ve forgotten most of it, but taking off into a 30 knot headwind is accurately modelled in terms of the physics at work.

Quite what the FPS will be like when VR is available though I shudder to think.
tim

Post by tim »

AP is broken, along with a lot of other things.

It's fine for VFR flights - I like the XCub a lot - tootled around Alaska in one of those yesterday for a bit.

For seriosus simming - stick with XP11
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Anyone still playing this? I’ve been persevering and other than the Citation Longitude having some awful bugs considering its premium content status, I remain very impressed with it.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Still do a bit of sightseeing flying now and then, but yeah, pretty annoying bugs. Seem to be getting one regularly where the throttles will just not respond to inputs either on controller or going into the cockpit and actually trying to click and drag the sticks. Have to reload the aircraft to get them working again.

On other occasions I’ve found a plane just won’t gather any speed or climb at all and again, have to reload the aircraft to get it to behave.

Some amusing scenery glitches with a single building sat on a massive dirt pillar about 200m taller than anything else in its surroundings.
Cheers, Harry
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Still flying this, gets better all the time (if one can overlook the fact each major update seems to introduce a new bug, which is annoying).

Impressive DLC community being built up, too. Flying around London in VR in the H135 from FlightSim.to is kinda cool.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I thought this was supposed to be coming to Xbox but it seemingly never has!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

DirectX 12 is the next big thing for me, this year hopefully. Should bring some good performance improvements. I’m still using the GTX1070 as cannot get an RTX3080 of course and I refuse to pay twice the RRP for one. Plan on building a new system around it.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Coming to Xbox Series X in July I believe, fingers crossed!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

60% performance increase being claimed for SU5 when it's released later this month. And it's not coming through DirectX 12 either, apparently. Which does rather suggest that the initial release wasn't the best optimised piece of software to ever be released...
scotta

Post by scotta »

16vCento wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:51 pm Coming to Xbox Series X in July I believe, fingers crossed!
Pity you cant buy a Series X anywhere.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

scotta wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:51 pm
16vCento wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:51 pm Coming to Xbox Series X in July I believe, fingers crossed!
I managed to pick up a Honeycomb Alpha yoke for less than RRP a month or so ago, but the Bravo throttle thing is stupid money on eBay so I've left that one well alone until (and if) sense prevails. Daft prices for something made by a company where the leader specifically started out with the idea of not charging the earth for these things.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Keep an eye on Currys bundles, I got mine for 470 with a 3 month Ultimate Game Pass, but it turned up with 6 Months, which was a bonus.

What was even better, when I put the code in, it upgraded my live gold account to ultimate game pass for a full 12 months!

No idea how or why, but I'm not questioning it 😂
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

If you really want to get one it's worth signing up for restock notifications.

I got mines from BT. They never actually went live on the site, you needed a code from an email to get into the queue.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

16vCento wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:03 pm
Keep an eye on Currys bundles, I got mine for 470 with a 3 month Ultimate Game Pass, but it turned up with 6 Months, which was a bonus.

What was even better, when I put the code in, it upgraded my live gold account to ultimate game pass for a full 12 months!

No idea how or why, but I'm not questioning it 😂
They changed the way that they structured the subs a while ago so that gamepass and gold are one payment. If you had time left on your gold sub it would've been rolled into the new one.
An absolute unit
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I have a Series X and PS5 digital. I used the HotStock app which alerts you when they’re back in stock.. very handy and I paid retail without all the add-ons they tend to add.
Cheers,

Ian