Microsoft Flight Simulator

ShockDiamonds

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Had a quick go Wednesday evening before my leg started complaining and even though cannot use my pedals at the moment (auto rudder control very handy) I think it’s impressive. Took off from Brize then flew over our village with my daughter watching and she was able to pick out our house. It’s relatively easy to see due to playing fields nearby but even so, very impressive.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m enjoying it, once they bring VR to this plus some decent headsets come out it will be the shit. And I think it will actually need some very decent high resolution VR as I’m struggling to see the info on the digital displays in 4k on a 30 inch screen a foot away from me.
Did the Mach loop earlier
Found the scenery very impressive, I went to the Grand Canyon after this but it’s not very nice there. The textures look stretched on near vertical surfaces so Wales was much nicer.

Now I’ve always had the weather set to real so haven’t experienced much bar scattered clouds till now so I had a long session of just watching clouds as the sun set.
Fuck me who needs ground scenery.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Ah, I can see why london is missing so many landmarks, so they can charge you £7 for a London buildings pack :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was thinking about it then saw a YouTube review that it’s a 20 year old bit of payware by a third party and it really does look shockingly bad. Surprised it’s allowed on the official store.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I saw a review yesterday which mentioned the Marketplace content. Seems a bit early for content to be released as the SDK would only have been final upon actual release I’d have thought? Don’t relish the idea of buying content developed against a closed beta.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The SDK has been available and developed in cooperation with third parties like Aerosoft and Orbx for months. It was an open Alpha and Beta program, that I was part of.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Simon

Post by Simon »

Dont forget that this isn't an all new engine. There is base FSX code in there for backwards compatibility.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Had a nice cruise around the elan valley last night and enjoying just casually flying around.

Might be time for a graphics upgrade as there’s noticeable stutter at high speed, close to the ground in built up areas.

I haven’t found a way to show FPS on screen, I usually just stick everything to 60hz vsync on but think I’m struggling to get that in some areas.

Sadly it doesn’t support sli, hardly surprising as not many new titles do so I’m not hating on it for that, it just would have been handy if it did.

Cpu is sitting pottering along at about 30-35% 😂
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Download MSI afterburner as it let’s you pick and choose whatever stats you want to display. Otherwise steam itself has a FPS counter in its settings somewhere.
Simon

Post by Simon »

If you can't so 60 FPS with vsync on then turn vsync off. It'll hurt your FPS more otherwise
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It does seem like some functions are FPS affected. Looking online it seems be something Asobo have always done with previous titles which even affects the physics in previous games - hopefully not the case here.
tim

Post by tim »

Options General Developer- turn dev mode on then there’s an additional menu where you can enable an FPS display that also tells you bunch of other things, like whether you’re GPU or CPU limited.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:17 pm it seems be something Asobo have always done with previous titles which even affects the physics in previous games
LOL, tying your physics to the frame rates. I thought that went out of fashion fifteen years ago along with other pathetic hacks :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Nah, all the Bethesda stuff does it too.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Cheers Tim, I’ll have a look.

Most of the time it’s silky smooth, but does have dips. I believe when it can’t meet the 60 it needs for vsync it drops to 30 until it can, even if it would happily run at 50fps.

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a way to lock it to 60fps max and turn off vsync, which then means it runs the gpu flat out all the time for no benefit.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:26 pm Nah, all the Bethesda stuff does it too.
Read my post again.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Also realised why the generic English countryside looks a bit weird, no churches! It’s what half the odd random apartment or office blocks scattered around are supposed to be.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The texture pack is a bit Soviet Union/70’s tower blocks and brutalist architecture :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:35 pm Also realised why the generic English countryside looks a bit weird, no churches! It’s what half the odd random apartment or office blocks scattered around are supposed to be.
AI inference is not as clever as people think it is ;)
tim

Post by tim »

There are waaaay too many trees!

Now I'm home from holiday and can acually fly it as opposed to messing about via a remote desktop, I've come to the conclusion that for now, this is just a game for people who want to look at stuff. If you've any interest in actual aviation and flight then stick with XP or P4D.

I think Caranedo had a lot to do with some of the planes, which explains a lot. The FMS is unusable, especially in the KingAir, and buggy as fuck where it does work.

I'm glad I didn't buy it and just paid £1 for the game pass deal. I'm sure eventually it'll get there but it's a long way off being a decent flight simulator.

Can't fault the graphics though, they are stunning.