Microsoft Flight Simulator

Zonda_

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator

Post by Zonda_ »

It's from Punch Technology, the basic model is the Steel but I added extra memory and a quiet fan. Cost just over £600, I ordered the Thrustmaster joystick from CEX for £40. The game is still downloading a massive update.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6 Core

CPU – 3.9GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Gigabyte A320M-H

Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 GPU

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory (1x16GB)

Primary Storage Drive: 240GB 2.5″ SATA SSD (480MB/R, 420MB/W)

CPU Cooling: Be Quiet Pure Rock low noise CPU air cooler

PSU: Contour 400W High Efficiency ATX PSU

WiFi: PCIe Wireless 802.11N Addon
NWP310Ev2 Wi-Fi Adapter

Sound Card: Integrated Sound Card On The Motherboard
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just seen that an equivalent Alienware Aurora would cost £1050 😂

Should run much better than that 1gb video card you originally wanted. Typical, I won’t have time to give it a go for a few days :(
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:27 pm Just seen that an equivalent Alienware Aurora would cost £1050 😂

Should run much better than that 1gb video card you originally wanted. Typical, I won’t have time to give it a go for a few days :(
I’m still downloading the updates!
tim

Post by tim »

4gb video memory is going to hurt you
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Just about to start the download. Basically been away from this computer upstairs in the house as ruptured my Achilles Tendon last Monday :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Started downloading it last night, thought it was done surprisingly quickly, clicked on play, got to the welcome screen, 90gb of updates to download :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, a few people griping that if you bought it on steam, due to it doing the download in game, it counts towards playtime.

So if it takes more than two hours to download the content, and it then subsequently doesn't work etc, then you've already blown through the time limit for refunds....
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Took mine until midnight yesterday to download from a 3pm start. Initial impressions, I’m crap at flying! I’ve tried it on various graphics settings, as expected it is a bit jerky on Ultra, definitely not unplayable but it takes so long to load flights etc it gets frustrating. I’ve settled on High-End, fantastically smooth and detailed. The hardest part I’m finding is getting to grips with all the controls, the game tells you what you need to press when but I’m still having to physically look around the joystick to find the button I need, it will get easier I guess.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That’s pretty good going, saw a review of it on a 2080 and it was still barely pushing into the 30 FPS when maxed out with clouds and all that. Definitely a next generation game, although not as much of a shit show when Crysis first cams out :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m hoping there’s a full potato mode to relive my mid 90s windows 3.11 memories with a handful of flat polygon buildings in the cities and the rest of the worlds land masses a blotchy green and brown texture repeated as far as the eye could see :lol:
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Was 5.1 I reckon

Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Do you remember when landing a plane in a simulator was one of the challenges on The Krypton Factor? How crude were those graphics?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My first flight sim was Flight Unlimited 2 - I’m surprised how good it still looks on YouTube. Then Microsoft 2004 and FSX. Think I did a round the world flight in both of those with some Cessna :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

First for me were F/A-18 Interceptor on the Amiga, follow by the original Flight Unlimited (which look stunning compared to everything else at the time). Then I bought FS2000 Professional Edition and it went downhill from there.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well my Steam download was only 500mb and now I’m just stuck in a loading screen with a TBM and a bar which hasn’t moved in ages. I ain’t playing tonight am I :lol:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:41 pm Well my Steam download was only 500mb and now I’m just stuck in a loading screen with a TBM and a bar which hasn’t moved in ages. I ain’t playing tonight am I :lol:
My download was 51gb.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well it was frozen, restarted and it’s doing the 95 gb update but it’s so slow over gigabit internet that the server must be fvcked.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Had a quick play this morning, maybe I’m expecting too much of the mapping, because while it looks amazing from 5000+ feet, doing a bit of a sightseeing tour is pretty disappointing. I don’t know london that well but instantly noticed loads of missing landmarks and bridges disappearing into the river.

Amazing how many 5 storey office blocks there are scattered around the Norfolk countryside too :lol:

But in general it looks lovely and seems to control well enough on a 360 pad. Will give it a few more hours when I get a proper chance and see whether I fancy getting a more appropriate joystick.
Cheers, Harry
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Simon wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:22 pm First for me were F/A-18 Interceptor on the Amiga, follow by the original Flight Unlimited (which look stunning compared to everything else at the time). Then I bought FS2000 Professional Edition and it went downhill from there.
I was about to say, I used to love a flight sim on the Amiga and that F/A-18 game was legendary, particularly that shot of it flying under the Golden Gate Bridge.

I think F-117A Stealth Fighter was another amazing game I spent hours-on. Not sure about PC though, I think X-Wing and Tie Fighter were the ones I played a lot-of.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The only place it works properly in the U.K. is Southampton I believe as that’s the only place that Bing has mapped in 3D