Microsoft Flight Simulator

integrale_evo

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator

Post by integrale_evo »

Doesn’t look good, I haven’t had a chance to properly look into it but I honestly think you’ll struggle to get a good enough graphics card in there to play it,

Any decent card will be a double slot and it doesn’t look like there will be room in the case for it, and the weird shape power supply means you’re probably unlikely to be able to power it even if you could butcher one in.
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Aw bollocks. I’d been considering replacing the whole thing anyway due to the noise. What would a decent machine cost that would have the spec to play this? I’m not bothered about a brand name. Any suggestions?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Also looks like a compact case, I had the same issue with my Alienware - compact case so couldn’t upgrade power supply which meant I couldn’t really do anything with the graphics.
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I used Punch for my custom PC, still working perfectly 18 months later and was cheaper than the more well known builders. They have a good configurator on their website so you can have a play and compare prices.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:44 pm I used Punch for my custom PC, still working perfectly 18 months later and was cheaper than the more well known builders. They have a good configurator on their website so you can have a play and compare prices.
That would be good if I knew what I was doing/needed! Can anyone give me an idea of what I would need to spec? I know nothing about current motherboard specs etc.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Its really the graphics card that you’d need to focus on, I don’t know off the top of my head how a gtx770 compares to anything current.

Any mid range i5 or AMD equivalent and 16gb of ram will be fine for most games if you don’t expect to be able to run massive frame rates at the highest settings.

Will have a look and see if I can find anything reasonably priced later on.

It’s pretty easy to fall down the ‘next one up’ rabbit hole and start trying to justify £3k machines 😂
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

This is a spec from the site mito mentioned:
Aviator Micro ATX Gaming Case
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
Gigabyte A320M-S2H
NVidia GT710 1GB GPU
1 x HDMI & 1 x DVI-I
16GB DDR4 2400Mhz Ram
I will install my own storage
Be Quiet! Pure Rock
250W ATX PSU
PCIe Wireless 802.11N Wi-Fi
Integrated motherboard audio
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

£495
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Need a better GPU, 1 GB is pretty low. Think about 18 months down the line when the game had had a bunch of updates and you’ve got a bunch of DLC which all makes it more taxing. Might also require a bigger PSU to run a bigger GPU.
tim

Post by tim »

Zonda go to chillblast they do flight sim PCs. I've bought my last two rigs from them.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

tim wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:06 pm Zonda go to chillblast they do flight sim PCs. I've bought my last two rigs from them.
Cheers, will look.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I have a 9900KS and traditionally the CPU has been hit pretty hard on Prepar3d, but under MSFS that CPU is working much lower. I also have a 1080 which is maxed out under ultra gfx settings in the sim, but am planning on getting a 3080 when it launches next month. That will lift frames considerably.

London remains very taxing in the sim, and the devs have never worked out why exactly. This remains the case in MSFS, and taking off from Heathrow with settings on max and flying east can see frames in the 20's. I'm hoping a 3080 will lift this to the 40's. Elsewhere it's fine as it is.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Does it not strain in other large cities then?

Read yesterday that it uses Bings 3D maps so will hopefully be updated as the maps update which would be cool.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 am Does it not strain in other large cities then?

Read yesterday that it uses Bings 3D maps so will hopefully be updated as the maps update which would be cool.
It does but there's something about London which seems to hurt more than most. There are some that have posited that it's because of the GMT line through Greenwich that affects it. I'm not sure.

It seems that with MSFS they've managed to offload even more from the CPU to the GPU though, which is good. Hopefully with a decent gfx card MSFS will flow nicely.
tim

Post by tim »

Simon do you play on FSEconomy whilst simming? If not, you should!
Simon

Post by Simon »

tim wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:18 pm Simon do you play on FSEconomy whilst simming? If not, you should!
I have a 10 month old boy so I just grab 30 minutes or an hour when I can!

But I'll take a look at FSEconomy - thx!

Have just venturing into the VATSIM world as well, if you're into that?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Yeah from what I understand, FS2020 moves more to the GPU compared to XPlane which even under Vulcan, still leaves a lot on the CPU and doesn’t share it equally across the cores (it’s better now, but far from perfect). So anybody with an i7 and a 1080 is going to be ok based on reviews I’ve seen, until VR comes anyway.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Simon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:42 am I have a 9900KS and traditionally the CPU has been hit pretty hard on Prepar3d, but under MSFS that CPU is working much lower. I also have a 1080 which is maxed out under ultra gfx settings in the sim, but am planning on getting a 3080 when it launches next month. That will lift frames considerably.

London remains very taxing in the sim, and the devs have never worked out why exactly. This remains the case in MSFS, and taking off from Heathrow with settings on max and flying east can see frames in the 20's. I'm hoping a 3080 will lift this to the 40's. Elsewhere it's fine as it is.
How much is a 3080 likely to cost? £1500 😀

Don’t think zonda is going to be quite desperate enough to play flight sim that he’s going to drop £3k on a pc to play it to a decent standard!
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:17 pm
Simon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:42 am I have a 9900KS and traditionally the CPU has been hit pretty hard on Prepar3d, but under MSFS that CPU is working much lower. I also have a 1080 which is maxed out under ultra gfx settings in the sim, but am planning on getting a 3080 when it launches next month. That will lift frames considerably.

How much is a 3080 likely to cost? £1500 😀

Don’t think zonda is going to be quite desperate enough to play flight sim that he’s going to drop £3k on a pc to play it to a decent standard!
Indeed not, I’d buy another car first! Looking at the sites Mito and Tim suggested I should be able to get one with the spec required to run it for £600ish.
Simon

Post by Simon »

If you knock the graphics settings down from Ultra then even the years old 1080 like mine will be fine. Its just that after using flight Sims for years I really seek out the ultimate in fidelity and smoothness.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Simon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:11 pm If you knock the graphics settings down from Ultra then even the years old 1080 like mine will be fine. Its just that after using flight Sims for years I really seek out the ultimate in fidelity and smoothness.
I see your point but I don't want to spend loads to find out I don't play it as much as I thought. If I do I have space to upgrade. As it is the current PC needs replacing so if it turns out I don't ay often I still have a decent machine.