More info
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Re: Wi-Fi extenders

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:56 pm
Beany wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:29 pm
JonMad wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:34 pm

Will this give better bandwidth than a Powerline adapter? I suppose it's worth it if you're running cables anyway.
Yes. You should only use powerline when wifi or a CAT5e (preferably CAT6) cable isn't an option.
As fun as it is ...
SHUT UP NEWB

Nah, you're right, CAT5e is generally fine for most things - posting while working, not even once ;)

It's worth getting outside rated/jacketed/whatever it's called cable if you're going to throw it outside, though - it's quite a bit sturdier and resists moisture, UV, accidental hits with a hammer when you're pinning it and whatnot better.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

BT Mesh 3x on offer for £75 from £125

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wh ... 766c75d669
Richard

Post by Richard »

Nathan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:02 am BT Mesh 3x on offer for £75 from £125

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wh ... 766c75d669
That’s a great price

I really think Mesh networks are significantly better than regular extenders
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

We've gone for the Synology Mesh system. One extra module now fitted downstairs, but with temporarily run cable taped to the floor running down the stairs while in lockdown. Have had electrician in to look at running proper cabling putting ports into certain rooms and adding a second module in the garage, so hopefully in next few months it will be well above board.

The system itself works really well - super impressed with it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I just set up an Amplifi HD mesh at home to replace the Devolo Magic kit I bought last year.

Early experiences are higher speeds, better and more stable coverage, and no dead spots in the house.

I have been able to turn the WiFi off on the broadband router, so the network is less messy.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

That BT offer sounds good.

My router is at the front of the house, can I just stick a couple of those in the loft front & rear to take the signal “up & over” and broadcast out into the back garden ? The signal toward the back of the house has alway been a bit iffy.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:21 pm That BT offer sounds good.

My router is at the front of the house, can I just stick a couple of those in the loft front & rear to take the signal “up & over” and broadcast out into the back garden ? The signal toward the back of the house has alway been a bit iffy.
It's amazing value - I spent over £300 on the Google Wifi equivalent.

Since it's a proper mesh, it does extend the signal but you may want to put the second and third discs closer to the main one than the loft. I get decent wifi in my back garden, the opposite end of my house from where the internet connection comes in, using the Google Wifi mesh.