Obsolete tech still in use

Brannen

Obsolete tech still in use

Post by Brannen »

I went to the gym over the weekend, and I'm 99% sure there was a pager on the front desk. I never had one as was still a kid in their heyday, but I can still remember them. Probably the first time I've seen one since my dad had a work one in the 90s. Bizarre, I had no idea they were still a thing.
Jimmy Choo

Re: Obsolete tech still in use

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I've not seen a pager outside of a hospital for years!

I've dealt with lots of places that still use fax machines.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Is this where we say "manual transmissions"?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

On Saturday I threw away a fax machine and an electric typewriter as part of my office tidying purge.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I see pagers used in some fast food places too. Better system than waiting behind the counter for your food to get prepared.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:53 am On Saturday I threw away a fax machine and an electric typewriter as part of my office tidying purge.
An electric typewriter? I've not seen one of those for ages!

I thought lawyers were the ones who were utterly obsessed with keeping fax machines?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Banks seemed to be obsessed with faxes, but for years I've expressly excluded it in contracts as a method of service and we have taken our fax number off the website and footers now.

Could still operate a virtual fax machine if we wanted to but I don't.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:59 am Banks seemed to be obsessed with faxes, but for years I've expressly excluded it in contracts as a method of service and we have taken our fax number off the website and footers now.

That's excellent! Great that you're just saying no.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Brannen wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:07 am Obsolete tech still in use
Yo mama.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:59 am Banks seemed to be obsessed with faxes, but for years I've expressly excluded it in contracts as a method of service and we have taken our fax number off the website and footers now.

Fax is still used a surprizing amount. I worked on a project for a large bank to renew their aging fax software recently and did some due diligence on usage. Something in the region of 1.2 million faxes received per annum.. Its still in use for mortgage papers as it's more secure than internet transfer of data due to the point to point connection.
GG.

Post by GG. »

scotta wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:25 pm Its still in use for mortgage papers as it's more secure than internet transfer of data due to the point to point connection.
Very secure... apart from the fact that it spits out the side of the fax machine and then sits on the top for however long until someone collects it :lol:

As Jobbo says I'd be surprised if most faxes weren't just virtual and end up in an email inbox anyway - were those 1.2 million to old style fax machines?
mik

Post by mik »

You can’t deny the fax gentlemen.
scotta

Post by scotta »

GG. wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:07 pm
scotta wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:25 pm Its still in use for mortgage papers as it's more secure than internet transfer of data due to the point to point connection.
Very secure... apart from the fact that it spits out the side of the fax machine and then sits on the top for however long until someone collects it :lol:

As Jobbo says I'd be surprised if most faxes weren't just virtual and end up in an email inbox anyway - were those 1.2 million to old style fax machines?
They - for this particular bank - did not. The fax system interfaced with their internal mail processing system that scans all snail mail and processes it.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Not sure if it’s rectified now but at least 5 years ago mclaren still used a 1990s laptop running a dos operating system for the McLaren f1’s

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/jalopnik ... 662267/amp
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

jamcg wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:32 pm Not sure if it’s rectified now but at least 5 years ago mclaren still used a 1990s laptop running a dos operating system for the McLaren f1’s

This happens a lot in garages. Ancient PCs running servicing tools, dynos etc. They work and it would be expensive to change the equipment so they don’t bother.
An absolute unit
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:51 am They work and it would be expensive to change the equipment so they don’t bother.
That.

Weren't US submarines still running on floppy discs until quite recently ? Something like that.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I think it was only recently UK subs stopped running Windows NT4 on their internal networks.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

jamcg wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:32 pm Not sure if it’s rectified now but at least 5 years ago mclaren still used a 1990s laptop running a dos operating system for the McLaren f1’s

Apparently they have an interface for modern laptops now, it's referenced in this (very good) article: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... h-america/
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

And of course we can now add the tape deck in Dave!’s car to this list :)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:52 pm And of course we can now add the tape deck in Dave!’s car to this list :)
From you :lol: