The DSLR thread

dinny_g

Re: The DSLR thread

Post by dinny_g »

Pretty impressive Tim...

Particularly that a 10 year old kid could hold it - they're not exactly light, are they :shock: :lol:

As soon as I got mine, a Black Rapid Camera sling was my next purchase.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

A little bit of me is sad I do not snigger at "tits" or "shags" etc. :(
tim

Post by tim »

Oh it was on a tripod! There's some other good ones too but they're too big for imgur
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Lovely image Tim, I'm quite envious. We've thousands of pictures of the tits in our backyard near the nest boxes. They are very very difficult to get a sharp image of. I have 1100d and 75-300mm IS (gen1 from 2002!). I hate tripods though so I don't have a decent one.

Had a Robin pose for me (it was actually after the kid's biscuits) very briefly at Blickling Hall on Saturday and got one of the best shots I've ever had of one.
300mm 1/512th F8 ISO640(auto) 1/3rd underexposed.
Unprocessed apart from mild in-camera sharpening.

Full screen I can see the aberation around the head and beak top surface which I actually think is just the lense quality, not from either me or the bird motion during the shot.
Not that it is a cheap lense but you can really see the difference from "regular" to "L". I've an old 28-70mm F2.8 and it makes for nice images but I think it's double the weight of the 75-300!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Quite pleased with this one

tim

Post by tim »

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Have you ever tried out the Canon remote capture program Tim?

I had a play with it a few years ago and got some nice frames and a couple of movies.
Using my wonky rubbish £5 tripod, a 10m USB cable (with amp) and old laptop.
Sitting inside comfortably and just snapping away when the birds were in frame.
The birds did notice the shutter noise but seemed relatively undisturbed.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Finally dragged the 40D out properly having bought what would have been hundreds of pounds worth of kit for it - a battery grip and four batteries - for under a ton.

Took a few snaps, getting used to using manual mode again after a few test snaps in Tv/Av mode.

Ok, cool. Suppose I'd best find a decent photo manager for linux. And get the pictures off the card.

Oh, can't find a CF reader (CF- remember those?). Fine, I'll use micro USB.

No, it's Mini USB. Remember those? I don't and have no cables.

I am amazing.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Taking a picture of a picture. So still technically potato quality.

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It's an awful photo all round tbh!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Stevie Wonder wants his DSLR back.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:18 pm Stevie Wonder wants his DSLR back.
Stevie Wonder should come see me about it then.

*foom*

Yeah, I'll be down later Satan, got shit to do for now.

Edit: Last pics on the card are from 2017, of a spider, and before that, 2016 :shock: no wonder the batteries were fucked :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Got card reader

Terribly compressed and drunkenly edited. I'm not happy with the exposure but It's been near a decade since I've done RAW work, arf - the SD card has images going back to 2013.
_MG_5096-smol.jpg
_MG_5096-smol.jpg (242.55 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Nice :) great that you’re getting back with n your camera

I’m on the hunt for a cheap s/h GH5 with Leica lens to go with my other one - I’m going to start recording some YouTube content and need multiple camera angles in one take. The GH5 really is awesome for static video content.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Congrats on picking it back up Beany.

I'm in a similar position believe it or not - having left my last workplace a few months ago, I'm now in a position for the first time in about 20yrs where my job doesn't include some reference to photography. Despite running the biggest studio network in the country the toxic nature of the job had me never touching my own camera. This weekend I broke out my own studio gear to record a pair of new drums I've bought and I even took the camera on a beach walk yesterday. Maybe it'll come back...

I noticed while I've been doing some archiving on my own stuff for a good few years there I was shooting a distinctly different project/job/person about once every two days for years, on top of the day job. This past few years lucky if it gets picked up once or twice a year. The eye for it and itch for it never truly leaves though.
Gavster wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:30 am Nice :) great that you’re getting back with n your camera

I’m on the hunt for a cheap s/h GH5 with Leica lens to go with my other one - I’m going to start recording some YouTube content and need multiple camera angles in one take. The GH5 really is awesome for static video content.
Curious how you go on with that as I contemplate starting to create some content for my drums stuff. Particularly interested in whether you just press record on all the cameras, make a click sound to sync them and edit different tracks on a video editing app. Or, if you're setting up a switch system to flip between video feeds off the cameras and saving one clip, pre-edited. Live like the news or edited like The Grand Tour I guess.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:36 am
Gavster wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:30 am Nice :) great that you’re getting back with n your camera

Curious how you go on with that as I contemplate starting to create some content for my drums stuff. Particularly interested in whether you just press record on all the cameras, make a click sound to sync them and edit different tracks on a video editing app. Or, if you're setting up a switch system to flip between video feeds off the cameras and saving one clip, pre-edited. Live like the news or edited like The Grand Tour I guess.
I'm also going to run a POV GoPro, so three cameras at once, plus recording the audio track on a remote lav mic, so there's quite a lot to bring together. I edit in Premiere, which appears to have a very simple multi-camera sync and editing feature, which should make it all nice and easy:

I'll also get some b-roll and detail shots, which won't need to be synced obvs, I can just lay that in a separate track over the multi-camera stuff.

Where are you planning to share the content? I might be a bit biased, but I think TikTok is great for sharing video content, because you don't need to have everything as polished. It's really easy to film, edit and share a tiktok in as little as 30 mins, as opposed to YouTube requires a much greater investment in time/filming/editing.
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

Very useful thank you.

Only toying with it and in the information gathering stage currently - next step will be to purchase the mics and DAW for the audio. Already have four cameras of some form if I really wanted to use them all (I probably don't).

As for output, honestly I hadn't even considered TikTok at all - I've never downloaded it. That said, the point of these vids won't be to build an audience at all, they're for me really and to put honest reviews out there of some of the stuff I have knowing that if you're one of the other one hundred people who are interested in drum X, currently there's no information. So YT had been my natural thought.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:42 pm As for output, honestly I hadn't even considered TikTok at all - I've never downloaded it.
This could send you down a rabbit hole :lol: TikTok has a very large and active drumming community. I used to be a drummer in my teens so find it quite interesting, and often come across a lot of drumming content. Would be worth having a peek and searching #drumtok, if you like vids that you enjoy, the algorithm will find more for you pretty quickly.

The difference in momentum between YT and TT is massive. The longest a TT takes to make is about 20-30 mins to script, 10 mins to film, then up to an hour to edit, with a sub 60 second output. I can easily smash out 3-4 great TikTok videos each week.

On the other hand, I'm fully expecting my YT videos to take about a day each. Probably an hour to research/script, 2-3 hours to film and clear up, then another couple of hours to edit down to a ~10 minute video. If I can do 1 a week I'll be pleased.
KiwiDave

Post by KiwiDave »

Gavster wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:10 am
KiwiDave wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:42 pm As for output, honestly I hadn't even considered TikTok at all - I've never downloaded it.
This could send you down a rabbit hole :lol: TikTok has a very large and active drumming community. I used to be a drummer in my teens so find it quite interesting, and often come across a lot of drumming content. Would be worth having a peek and searching #drumtok, if you like vids that you enjoy, the algorithm will find more for you pretty quickly.

The difference in momentum between YT and TT is massive. The longest a TT takes to make is about 20-30 mins to script, 10 mins to film, then up to an hour to edit, with a sub 60 second output. I can easily smash out 3-4 great TikTok videos each week.

On the other hand, I'm fully expecting my YT videos to take about a day each. Probably an hour to research/script, 2-3 hours to film and clear up, then another couple of hours to edit down to a ~10 minute video. If I can do 1 a week I'll be pleased.
I read that while smiling to myself and saying "oh fuck, here we go' in my head...

Must start small :lol: Original idea for getting the mics was to put an accurate mix back into my headphones beneath the hearing protection, the idea of recording anything comes a little way after. :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Tik Tok is surprisingly addictive.

I blame the algorithms - too bloody effective at bringing up relevant stuff... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…