Bristol bans diesels

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Bristol bans diesels

Post by Jobbo »

Fascinating- even EU6 cars appear to be included in the ban.
Hope I can pick up a cheaper diesel commuter shortly then!
John

Post by John »

It'll be a shame if a total diesel ban happens. I quite like breaking up my journey from Cornwall with an overnight stop in Bristol.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

£100 a day for diesel buses? That'll make commuting by public transport cheap then!
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

John wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 am It'll be a shame if a total diesel ban happens. I quite like breaking up my journey from Cornwall with an overnight stop in Bristol.
” privately owned diesel cars will be banned between 07:00 and 15:00” - you’d just have to make sure you were back on the road early!
Simon

Post by Simon »

It's a bit odd they're going to do this in 2 years, which stuffs those who are tied into 3 year leases.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
John

Post by John »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:17 am
John wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 am It'll be a shame if a total diesel ban happens. I quite like breaking up my journey from Cornwall with an overnight stop in Bristol.
” privately owned diesel cars will be banned between 07:00 and 15:00” - you’d just have to make sure you were back on the road early!
We'd be in the motorhome and arriving/departing at those time would screw up our itinerary :D
mik

Post by mik »

THIS IS NOT ENOUGH! :evil:

/Greta
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 am It's a bit odd they're going to do this in 2 years, which stuffs those who are tied into 3 year leases.
Without wishing to sound harsh, it's not like this sort of thing hasn't been getting discussed for a while now. They've been consulting on it in Leeds for at least a year going by the matrix signs referring to it on the sliproad I use coming back up from the petrol station....
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:41 am Fascinating- even EU6 cars appear to be included in the ban.
That was my first thought too but I think other cities will follow so not sure how useful it will be.

I reckon the ICE is going to banned way sooner than we all currently think.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:36 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:41 am Fascinating- even EU6 cars appear to be included in the ban.
That was my first thought too but I think other cities will follow so not sure how useful it will be.

I reckon the ICE is going to banned way sooner than we all currently think.
You can definitely see the end, but I suspect it will be softer than a flat ban in that manufacturers will stop making them, then petrol stations will reduce the number of pumps (like 4-star) as they sell less. Eventually you will probably have to buy petrol from a specific niche outlet, and maybe only be able to use petrol cars on tracks.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It'll be at least a decade before ICE use starts to tail off imo. Realistically I can't see it before 2030. However, I'm all for banning diesel-engined LGVs as soon as possible.
Barry

Post by Barry »

If this is about emissions why the funk aren't they chasing the bus companies to replace their ancient filthy buses, which I'll wager are the bigger contributor to emissions in the city? Oh yeah, they think people will leave the TDi at home and get the bus into town <stifled laughter> If it affected me I'd just stop going into Bristol.
mik

Post by mik »

Try following @myGridGB on twatter.

Still loads of lecky power to charge your lecky cars generated from fossil fuels, but hey - NIMBY for Bristol.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Link. What we need is some fusion powered cars. :D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Electric cars use fossil fuels to charge isn’t the incredibly clever gotcha people think it is.

Of course this is a silly knee jerk reaction and they’d be better to put they’re efforts into getting bus companies and city couriers to switch to hybrid/electric vehicles.

afaik the city diesel bans are more about local air quality than overall climate change targets anyway.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:48 am afaik the city diesel bans are more about local air quality than overall climate change targets anyway.
This.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Beany wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:50 am
ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:48 am afaik the city diesel bans are more about local air quality than overall climate change targets anyway.
This.
Yet they allow buses to continue, which is arguably the bigger contributor (more so if they force people out of their TDi and onto buses).
mik

Post by mik »

Preciscely. Its a NIMBY.

"But the pollution will just be moved elsewhere"

"Yeah, but they are not Bristol inhabitants / voters. Fuck 'em".
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

mik wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:53 am
Preciscely. Its a NIMBY.

"But the pollution will just be moved elsewhere"

"Yeah, but they are not Bristol inhabitants / voters. Fuck 'em".
So it’s better for people in cities to breathe toxic gases than for their local government to try and do something about it?
An absolute unit