Dyson EV

RobYob

Dyson EV

Post by RobYob »

NotoriousREV

Re: Dyson EV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I think it’s a good decision: concentrate on the tech and let the car manufacturers manufacture the cars. Shame for the 500 people in that division, though.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It would have been too late to the game. Unable to compete with Tesla’s pioneer attitude (and their network of chargers) and unable to compete with the rest of the car industries century of development who are now taking EVs seriously.

Tesla have already done to the car industry what Dyson did to the vacuum cleaner market.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They should stick to flogging crap vacuums for £500 which cost £20 to produce in China. Much more money in that as can be seen from the crap financial results from Tesla.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:54 pm I think it’s a good decision: concentrate on the tech and let the car manufacturers manufacture the cars. Shame for the 500 people in that division, though.
It’s not like there are loads of people taking on either. I know some of the people who took redundancy and went to work there and it bought them less than 6 months employment before putting them back into the same situation, I can only imagine the relocation costs swallowed a fair chunk of their original redundancy payout too.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Anyone who went to Dyson should have really known the challenges of non-car manufacturers trying to make cars and how much of a risk it would be.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Haven’t heard much from the other tech firms either with regards to their electric cars. The Google car was seen out testing ages ago but it’s been all quiet since. The Apple car remains a myth still.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:17 pm Anyone who went to Dyson should have really known the challenges of non-car manufacturers trying to make cars and how much of a risk it would be.
But you wouldn’t expect the company to still be taking engineers on in the last weeks and months leading up to a complete cancellation of the project. Especially when you’ve seen a load of people you already know go over and state progress is going well and the project is ramping up.
Last edited by Orange Cola on Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:36 pm Haven’t heard much from the other tech firms either with regards to their electric cars. The Google car was seen out testing ages ago but it’s been all quiet since. The Apple car remains a myth still.
I *think* they’ve both been canned in favour of improving the tech they can develop and sell instead.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:06 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:17 pm Anyone who went to Dyson should have really known the challenges of non-car manufacturers trying to make cars and how much of a risk it would be.
But you wouldn’t expect the company to still be taking engineers on in the last weeks and months leading up to a complete cancellation of the project. Especially when you’ve seen a load of people you already know go over and state progress is going well and the project is ramping up.
Same, I had a chat to an agency not that long ago about the production positions planned in Singapore. I wonder if some expected goverment support over there fell through in the background.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

RobYob wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:18 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:06 pm
Same, I had a chat to an agency not that long ago about the production positions planned in Singapore. I wonder if some expected goverment support over there fell through in the background.
Agreed. Not only that, but the established manufacturers are letting people go. There were no signs that Dyson were going to pull the project at all. Late delivery was a given but not no delivery at all.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Was this part of the reason he went to Singapore in the first place or was the design of the car being done solely in the uk ?

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

AFAIK design was all or majority UK and production in Singapore, which was a slightly odd choice apart from the pool of cheap labour nearby from Malaysia. But then why not just build in Malaysia?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

RobYob wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:23 pm AFAIK design was all or majority UK and production in Singapore, which was a slightly odd choice apart from the pool of cheap labour nearby from Malaysia. But then why not just build in Malaysia?
Singapore headquarters and Singapore import tax on cars, I guess it was a work around...