FAO evostick: Lawn Question

duncs500

FAO evostick: Lawn Question

Post by duncs500 »

Got a newly laid turf lawn which is mostly lovely and bouncy and soft, there are a couple of small damaged patches however (and oddly a load of mushrooms have sprung up over the last couple of days with the rain, but don't know if that means anything).

I'd like to keep it looking healthy, so was wondering if there's any recommendations out there in terms of which products are good to put on it to keep it in good shape. Also, to repair the small patches how do I know which type of seed I need as presumably it should be the same as the rest? I could ask the developer what kind of grass it is I suppose.

Anyway, any general lawn maintenance tips welcome, our last lawn really went to shit.

I probably can't do anything until the spring now, which will no doubt upset Rich... and the dullness of the topic will probably upset JL... and Rev will probably just be upset generally. :lol:
NotoriousREV

Re: FAO evostick: Lawn Question

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m only upset because my lawn looks like the Somme on the 19th November 1916.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I shall allow this thread to proceed.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:D
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’m genuinely interested to hear the outcome. I have a large section of newer turf at the end of my garden that’s a totally different colour grass to the rest!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I'm interested too, does Evostick have expertise in lawns, genuinely interested, I don't know. Own lawn is pretty big but is a mess after being patched for various reasons over the years. It also refuses to drain.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Weed killer and feed in spring, scarify, aerate if you have poor drainage, repeat in autumn if your lawn is really shit and add extra seed. Piece of piss.
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:58 pm Weed killer and feed in spring, scarify, aerate if you have poor drainage, repeat in autumn if your lawn is really shit and add extra seed. Piece of piss.
Yeah it really isn't that simple, we had a drainage channel dug down the full length of the lawn going straight to the main drain and it still gets waterlogged.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:34 pm I’m genuinely interested to hear the outcome. I have a large section of newer turf at the end of my garden that’s a totally different colour grass to the rest!
Gracist
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:23 pm I shall allow this thread to proceed.
I imagine lawns are different over there.
evostick

Post by evostick »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:15 pm Got a newly laid turf lawn which is mostly lovely and bouncy and soft, there are a couple of small damaged patches however (and oddly a load of mushrooms have sprung up over the last couple of days with the rain, but don't know if that means anything).

I'd like to keep it looking healthy, so was wondering if there's any recommendations out there in terms of which products are good to put on it to keep it in good shape. Also, to repair the small patches how do I know which type of seed I need as presumably it should be the same as the rest? I could ask the developer what kind of grass it is I suppose.

Anyway, any general lawn maintenance tips welcome, our last lawn really went to shit.

I probably can't do anything until the spring now, which will no doubt upset Rich... and the dullness of the topic will probably upset JL... and Rev will probably just be upset generally. :lol:

Good morning.

Very difficult to evaluate a lawn without looking at it. Easiest way to fix recent turf is just to cut the damaged sections out and fill with new turf. Biggest factor is whether it's got ryegrass in it or not. Ornamental 'frontlawn' usually doesn't. Anything else, designed to put up with human traffic/dogs/etc, will have rye to make it more hardwearing. If in doubt, take a bit to your local turf supplier and compare with their stock.

If it's been laid properly (fnarr fnarr) then I'd look at aeration. Best thing you can do for any lawn ime. Hire a machine once or twice a year for about £40 a day. Too late really at this time of year. Only thing I'd do now is get some iron sulphate on there. Strengthens the grass and burns off any moss that's forming. Quite a few off the shelf products available at the garden centre although far better and cheaper products at somewhere like https://www.pitchcare.com/. You may have to tick a box saying that you have a licence depending on what you buy, but there are no proper checks as yet AFAIK.

Biggest mistake people make with lawns is mowing too closely. Some grass species cope well with it (chewings fescue/browntop bent kinda shit you see on golf greens) but it just stresses the fescues and dwarf ryes used in typical lawn mixes. Mulch mowing is very beneficial but you have to do it at least once a week in the growing season or else it looks shit.

Otherwise, a bit of lawn feed in the spring, selective weed treatment when appropriate.. job's a goodun.

I barely drink these days but last night I had about eight pints of strong ale then I fell over, hit my head on the deck. Feel like a total cunt this morning :lol:

There's a fair chance that I've just rambled a load of nonsense at you so just in case here's a link with some good advice https://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/topics
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Spot on, thanks Tim.

In terms of feed and weed treatment are there any products that you recommend?
evostick

Post by evostick »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:24 am Spot on, thanks Tim.

In terms of feed and weed treatment are there any products that you recommend?
I'd steer clear of granular treatments. Unless you have top notch kit then it's very difficult to get application rates spot on leading to mixed results and often scorched turf.

Get yourself a knapsack spayer. Cooper Pegler are the standard but something like https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/pump-kna ... rayer.html is better to use.

Use it to apply something like this https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/green-so ... o-w-v.html in the Spring.

WRT selective weed killer. No single chemical will completely deal with every possible species of turf weed. My preferred chemical to use is https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/professi ... icide.html as it gets good results across the board, has the lowest dose rate for that type of product and will also kill off Black Medic (very common PITA) which most of them won't touch.

If you do want to be a lazy cunt then https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/turf-wee ... iller.html is the most reliable granular weed&feed that I've used. Just be careful putting it on.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Look at you fertilising your seed with your sack spray - ohh ahh :o :shock:
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

And what would be your thoughts on dealing with bindweed??
evostick

Post by evostick »

McSwede wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:28 pm And what would be your thoughts on dealing with bindweed??
I've never really had a problem with bindweed in turf. If it's there then it's a result of improper practices. Scarify it, apply a selective herbicide but if you support the grass and mow regularly (not too close), sort any drainage issues then it should just not happen.

Bindweed in borders, total PITA, best way to get rid is stick a woolly glove soaked in neat Roundup over a nitrile gauntlet and apply directly to as much of the plant as you can. Works best if you do it after plant has flowered and is starting to die back. Seems to help the poison translocate to the root.

tbh though most often I just control it by removing as much as possible as and when.

I should just mention that any method or chemical use mentioned in this thread may put you in grave danger of accidental poisoning, possible painful death and is probably not legal.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

evostick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:00 pm
McSwede wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:28 pm And what would be your thoughts on dealing with bindweed??
I've never really had a problem with bindweed in turf. If it's there then it's a result of improper practices. Scarify it, apply a selective herbicide but if you support the grass and mow regularly (not too close), sort any drainage issues then it should just not happen.

Bindweed in borders, total PITA, best way to get rid is stick a woolly glove soaked in neat Roundup over a nitrile gauntlet and apply directly to as much of the plant as you can. Works best if you do it after plant has flowered and is starting to die back. Seems to help the poison translocate to the root.

tbh though most often I just control it by removing as much as possible as and when.

I should just mention that any method or chemical use mentioned in this thread may put you in grave danger of accidental poisoning, possible painful death and is probably not legal.
Ta very much. It is a PITA. I see how much effort the wife puts in trying to get rid of it and it upsets me. I have to go and watch the footy to take my mind off it 🤣🤣
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Our lawn is mainly daisies and dandelions, is there anything which will kill those without destroying the grass?
Cheers, Harry
evostick

Post by evostick »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:19 pm Our lawn is mainly daisies and dandelions, is there anything which will kill those without destroying the grass?
Any decent selective weed treatment or perhaps introduce a small colony of rabbits.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Do you have a way of making my dog stop peeing in the same spots, it’s making patches on an otherwise lovely dark green lawn.

Also, how do I spice things up in the bedroom while also getting a pay rise at work?

Yours hopefully, patch mc no sex and no money, Norfolk.

Dave..... er someone else.